HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:06 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,609 Posts
I got my order in from HK. Looks like I made an error. I ordered 5 2s lipos. They have a wire lead to the connector. Don't know what I will do with them yet. Since the are 7.4v, I can't use them with my planes. Has anyone used these batts for anything yet? Any ideas? Whould they burn out the fets on my rx? Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I got my order in from HK. Looks like I made an error. I ordered 5 2s lipos. They have a wire lead to the connector. Don't know what I will do with them yet. Since the are 7.4v, I can't use them with my planes. Has anyone used these batts for anything yet? Any ideas? Whould they burn out the fets on my rx? Lee
They'll release the magic blue smoke from a 1S RX, yes. What size are they? You might be able to make some of your money back selling them on the FS/W section of the board.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,609 Posts
I might just seperate them and make myself 5 batts. With 5 backups. hehe. Thanks for the idea though. Lee
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,206 Posts
True

BUT from what I hear the Champ is better than the CUB. So; why bother? lol

Bob you gunna get the new UM T-28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
If you want something to fly like a Cub get a Cub..
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
True

BUT from what I hear the Champ is better than the CUB. So; why bother? lol

Bob you gunna get the new UM T-28?
I don't think so it's not one of my favorite planes. I'll get one of these instead.. More my speed..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZFK0&P=7

While I like flying the Champ better than the Club. I have been flying the Club more than the Champ.. As at cottage with all those trees I would rather mess up the Club then the Champ and it does fly nice, nothing wrong with it at all and I think it looks better flying around under the trees and the stall turns are great fun to do with it....

Now the UM 4-Site that's a fun/hard plane to fly without breaking it..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Jul 29, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,206 Posts
The Albatros looks okay

It doesnt look much slower than the T-28 - if at all

I might make a micro moth

Quote:
I don't think so it's not one of my favorite planes. I'll get one of these instead.. More my speed..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZFK0&P=7

While I like flying the Champ better than the Club. I have been flying the Club more than the Champ.. As at cottage with all those trees I would rather mess up the Club then the Champ and it does fly nice, nothing wrong with it at all and I think it looks better flying around under the trees and the stall turns are great fun to do with it....

Now the UM 4-Site that's a fun/hard plane to fly without breaking it..
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
The Albatros looks okay

It doesnt look much slower than the T-28 - if at all

I might make a micro moth
If I could pick anything it would be a Curtiss JN-4D "Jenny". It's got to fly nice and slow..

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...enny/Aero3.htm
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,206 Posts
Nice

Why dont you make one?

Quote:
If I could pick anything it would be a Curtiss JN-4D "Jenny". It's got to fly nice and slow..

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...enny/Aero3.htm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
I know I like mine.
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,206 Posts
Very nice; is that an RC or model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianufo View Post
I know I like mine.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:17 AM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Very nice; is that an RC or model?
I believe I see a control horn under the elevator there so ...
Yes, very nice looking plane.
Nunja Business is offline Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:05 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,609 Posts
I fly my cub more than my Champ. But, that is because I love the Champ more. haha. My cub has awesome power now. And the other day, I made it into a bi-plane, just for fun. I didn't really like the way it flew, so I took it back off. And finished the flight. Ryan, have you seen my scratch build project yet? Lee
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:56 AM
Bend, Oregon
Joined Mar 2010
371 Posts
My Champ came made it to the LHS today, but I had to work to late to get it today.
I'll be there early tomorrow morning though
Piper Cub Man is offline Find More Posts by Piper Cub Man
Last edited by Piper Cub Man; Jul 31, 2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:09 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci_phon View Post
Yes, both my original Mustang motor had the holes, as did the replacement motor that HH sent me....also, my Champ's stock motor has the holes too....odd. So I am sorry for my earlier comment/question regarding the holes in the motors. Also, I've been reading a lot of conflicting posts from a lot of different people! It makes me wonder if HH is getting these motors from multiple distributors/manufacturers... Seems there may be as many different variations of these motors as there are of the different spy cameras lol!

BTW, before I came across DeoxIT, I did have successful luck with automatic transmission fluid and power steering fluid. If you try one of those, watch out for various brands that add 'extras' like, teflon or silocon additives, they might hurt a motor more than help it. Additives like "detergents" on the other hand would most likely help to restore a seized motor.

If one can get my thing to work for them, great... It usually only takes me about 10 minutes to restore a motor, once I've gathered all the stuff needed that is. Being as how I have like...A.D.D....still...as an adult....it takes me 10 minutes alone just to get a paper towel! lol I know I make it sound like I've done this a million times also...but in reality it'd be closer to 20ish times...including the few times I've used transmission and steering fluid. I worked in a factory a few years ago, which is when I learned of DeoxIT in the first place... we'd get service calls for various servos going bad on different machines, usually a servo that was either exposed to too much heat or too much dirt, and there was the occasional over voltage causing arcing and excessive carbon buildups. (Smaller...more precise types of machinery). It was taught to me as one of those "tricks of the trade" kind of things. It has just never failed for "me" yet, thankfully.

If it doesn't work for someone else.....it's either from the problem being much more severe.....or completely different. In any case, I still wish anyone who tries good luck!

I figure that if it takes me ~10 minutes to restore a motor, that's better than having to wait a few days for one in the mail..especially if that one in the mail was on backorder!!! One could even do this out in the field if they were desperate enough.

Again, good luck. Let me know if I can be of any other/more assistance. And remember, the "thinner" the final oil....once everything else has been flushed out...the better the results!
(watch out for various brands that add 'extras' like, Teflon or silicon additives, they might hurt a motor more than help it.)
Really: Why do you say that? Just asking

I have used electro motor cleaner to clean out the oil and dirt out on larger motors, and have substituted break cleaner at times. (WARNING SOME BREAK CLEANERS WILL REMOVE VARNISH AND MELT PLASTIC)

I have had great luck with my silicon sprays it my #1 favorite in the shop, and I have heard of some real die hard lovers of the tri-flow that I believe has Teflon in it.
I would bet a electronics tuner cleaner could clean and lubercate. also a favorite of mine and has been safe on plastics, it is pricy but a must have in shop for servos and TX pots.

Same here with the ADD Dose the (red die 40) mess with you like it doses me?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:25 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
New wheels for my new Champ!

Just picked this baby up yesterday at the LHS. Neat plane, cannot wait to fly it!

I saw some of the wheel mods and they seemed like a good idea. also coated all parts of the plane [exc. the control portions, but incl. the horiz/vert stabs] with 40% white glue to make stronger. did this with a Micro Cub and it handled hard landings like a dream...

Used 1:1:1 graphite epoxy (GE) to hold the gear on more solid, and replaced the stock mains with some 1.25" ultralight wheels from my original Lancair ES I am building [using Dubro wheels on that model, so had these as spares].

Almost stock look to the plane, used a duster spray tube to fit the hubs on the wheels to the wires, and capped. Colored with Insignia Yellow, but will need to match better the GE to the body color. Any suggestions on paint matching here?

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!