HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:24 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the kind words.

The plane weighs in at 54 grams RTF. This is including the small piece of lead to actually get it to balance as it should. (not as it comes from Hobbyzone)

I did not strip the paint on this one, way to much work for the little weight savings. The champ has no problem with the extra weight.

It flys beautiful. Several proffesional photographers got photos of it at E-Fest so you may see it later in a magazine or two. I put the P-51 motor in it thinking I was going to add flaps to this one like I did my older one, but it was to pretty to put nonscale flaps on it. Now I have more power than I could ever use.

All the paint is Krylon Short Cuts, I used transfer tape (from vinyl graphics) as a masking method so I didn't pull off the existing paint. The wheel pants are made of Depron laminated and alot of sanding. The "step" is made of 2 pieces of CF rod glued and sanded to the proper shape. The "wingstruts" are made of CF rod as well then painted. The prop is just painted aluminum and tips painted.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
I use that short cuts paint on foam too but im unable to mask off another color without pulling it off in spots....I use blue painters making tape.could that be the problem?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:30 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
yep, transfer tape for vinyl graphics is just sticky enough to mask and paint, but then it pulls off easy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Blue painters tape alternative: Press it to your shirt or pants leg before putting it on the plane. Kills much of the stick.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:14 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Good tip...I usually stick mine to my forehead.

But that's usually because I drink-and-build.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:35 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
Know i now what to do with my champ in order to make it look different!!!...
karfrik is online now Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:43 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
have you guys seen this?....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems like it can be done without the plans for those with experience....
karfrik is online now Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Good tip...I usually stick mine to my forehead.

But that's usually because I drink-and-build.
Ahh a one armed builder! I used to know this one armed builder he had never hit his thumb with a hammer!
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:38 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
Here is my new Champ, flew it at E-Fest quite a bit. Got alot of compliments on how scale it looked.
Amazing looks, very nice! If mine looked this pretty, I probably would not dare flying it, way to beautiful to risk scraping the nose on a not so good landing...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:48 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
I'm very impressed with the paint job, i have been wanting to paint one myself and this great model has convinced me. I just have one question which is how to keep the paint light so as not to affect the flying characteristics.
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:09 AM
CT
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Awesome paint Edge!
My custom job took 90 seconds. I added a couple self-adhesive "googly" eyes to the windscreen and made a smile below the prop with a red sharpie. Viola..."Charlie the Champ" was born. My kids love the low speed "smiley face" passes.
orangecobra is offline Find More Posts by orangecobra
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:03 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I'm very impressed with the paint job, i have been wanting to paint one myself and this great model has convinced me. I just have one question which is how to keep the paint light so as not to affect the flying characteristics.
You are going to add weight. The Champ handles weight very well, it has plenty of lift. We fly with floats with no problem.

Most of the problems people think after they paint it that it becomes to heavy to fly, it's not really to heavy, it's tail heavy. These airplanes come marginal on balance brand new stock, any weight to the tail and its tail heavy. I have a stock Cub that is tail heavy right out of the box even with flying with a 160 mah battery pack. I balanced my Champ after painting and it flys like a dream, flys every bit as good as a stock one, and yes it weighs more. We did add a small piece of lead to the nose, I think around 4-6 grams worth. My stock Cub we had to put 4 grams in it so it would fly without tip stalling as soon as you touched the elevator!

Spray very light coats, and just enough to cover, never add another coat just because. Short Cuts is ok, just don't overdue it. I have heard that Tamiya paint is really light, I have not tried it. I also use water based craft paints in my airbrush from time to time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Quote:
You are going to add weight. The Champ handles weight very well, it has plenty of lift. We fly with floats with no problem.

Most of the problems people think after they paint it that it becomes to heavy to fly, it's not really to heavy, it's tail heavy. These airplanes come marginal on balance brand new stock, any weight to the tail and its tail heavy. I have a stock Cub that is tail heavy right out of the box even with flying with a 160 mah battery pack. I balanced my Champ after painting and it flys like a dream, flys every bit as good as a stock one, and yes it weighs more. We did add a small piece of lead to the nose, I think around 4-6 grams worth. My stock Cub we had to put 4 grams in it so it would fly without tip stalling as soon as you touched the elevator!

Spray very light coats, and just enough to cover, never add another coat just because. Short Cuts is ok, just don't overdue it. I have heard that Tamiya paint is really light, I have not tried it. I also use water based craft paints in my airbrush from time to time.
Well im thinking of doing this paint scheme, how did you get the exhaust pipes in.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
the exhaust pipes are just little aluminum tubing cut and beveled to match the real one and glued into the foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Quote:
the exhaust pipes are just little aluminum tubing cut and beveled to match the real one and glued into the foam.
I was think of using plastic painted with chrome, do you think that would work.