HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,784 Posts
Interesting tutorial on re-vitalizing a screeching motor.

Don't know how big the holes in the cap are, but could you squirt in some light oil w/ a very fine hypodermic needle -- kind of like the very fine ones used by diabetics for insulin?

Probably want to "square off" the tip of the needle, since you don't have to push it through skin. Would make it safer, too...
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:48 PM
Crash McNooblet
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2009
47 Posts
Another wonderful way to restore these.... borked motors! Thank you! It's amazing HH hasn't offered some sort of better, longer lasting replacement motor to those of us with this Mustang motor incident crap.....

Also, not knocking anything here ...I don't mean anything bad by this, just curious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
BUT, this motor is easier than the UMP51 motor because there are 2 holes on the face of the can, where the UMP51 motor has none.
My stock Mustang motor had two holes in the face, as did the replacement motor HH sent me, whereas the Champ did not. Without the holes, I couldn't see squirting my garbage into the motor...

Which btw... I get to restore another one again, but not the original Mustang motor that I had already restored before....the new one that was in my Champ went out on me this evening!!!

I took my Champ out for another few flights with the camera, first flight was about 7 minutes...without the camera, just so I could get a feel for the wind up above the tree line. 2nd flight was another 7 minutes, but this time with the camera, and had spent a few minutes at less than 40% throttle..just letting the wind take the Champ around, it was great actually!...but the camera froze up on me when I tried to stop the recording.

For fear of the video not having been successful, I went just one more time. It took me a few attempts to get off the ground though, I bent the LG a bit too much on the last landing, causing the prop to drag this time. So, I fixed the LG, took off...got up about 15ft, gave it full throttle...and all the sudden the Champ felt like it had absolutely NO power! I quickly turned the Champ towards myself and my wife, did a head-high flyover to listen to the motor, didn't hear anything odd though. Not even 2 1/2 minutes into the flight...I heard that dreadful WHEEEHHHAAAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAAA.....like a dry wagon wheel, if anyone remembers how those sounded! I cut the throttle, sound stopped, and then it wouldn't start up again...so I....crash laned at my wifes feet

This motor only had 6 flights on it, of which 4 total were with camera, 2 without, which in total equals a whopping 38.5 minutes (roughly) of flight time total. 6 flights...and the mustang motor went PFFFTTT.

So I get to try to restore yet another one and see if my success rate continues.

This time, I will make a video of what I do to them, and edit it as best as I can...so everyone interested can get to see just how easy this is....

Dry silicone? I wondered about "dry" type lubricants. I'd think they would actually work better in the long run...nothing to caramelize or collect dirt. I wonder if a dry graphite dust would work with a clean/dry motor....I can't remember if graphite is a conductor though. Hrm...

I'll touch base when I've got something definitive to mention.
ci_phon is offline Find More Posts by ci_phon
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,318 Posts
LOL these damn motor eh?

I have had a bad week for my rc's. Champ new UMP51 motor died, Solo Pro board died, my Sukhoi is being sent back to HH cause its defective.

PLUS.... I thought i had fixed the Champ motor, but now when testing at full throttle it stops about 45 seconds into it, so I guess its still screwed and the Stang motor is no good either.

None of mustang motors hae had holes in the front - weird no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci_phon View Post
Another wonderful way to restore these.... borked motors! Thank you! It's amazing HH hasn't offered some sort of better, longer lasting replacement motor to those of us with this Mustang motor incident crap.....

Also, not knocking anything here ...I don't mean anything bad by this, just curious...

My stock Mustang motor had two holes in the face, as did the replacement motor HH sent me, whereas the Champ did not. Without the holes, I couldn't see squirting my garbage into the motor...

Which btw... I get to restore another one again, but not the original Mustang motor that I had already restored before....the new one that was in my Champ went out on me this evening!!!

I took my Champ out for another few flights with the camera, first flight was about 7 minutes...without the camera, just so I could get a feel for the wind up above the tree line. 2nd flight was another 7 minutes, but this time with the camera, and had spent a few minutes at less than 40% throttle..just letting the wind take the Champ around, it was great actually!...but the camera froze up on me when I tried to stop the recording.

For fear of the video not having been successful, I went just one more time. It took me a few attempts to get off the ground though, I bent the LG a bit too much on the last landing, causing the prop to drag this time. So, I fixed the LG, took off...got up about 15ft, gave it full throttle...and all the sudden the Champ felt like it had absolutely NO power! I quickly turned the Champ towards myself and my wife, did a head-high flyover to listen to the motor, didn't hear anything odd though. Not even 2 1/2 minutes into the flight...I heard that dreadful WHEEEHHHAAAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAAA.....like a dry wagon wheel, if anyone remembers how those sounded! I cut the throttle, sound stopped, and then it wouldn't start up again...so I....crash laned at my wifes feet

This motor only had 6 flights on it, of which 4 total were with camera, 2 without, which in total equals a whopping 38.5 minutes (roughly) of flight time total. 6 flights...and the mustang motor went PFFFTTT.

So I get to try to restore yet another one and see if my success rate continues.

This time, I will make a video of what I do to them, and edit it as best as I can...so everyone interested can get to see just how easy this is....

Dry silicone? I wondered about "dry" type lubricants. I'd think they would actually work better in the long run...nothing to caramelize or collect dirt. I wonder if a dry graphite dust would work with a clean/dry motor....I can't remember if graphite is a conductor though. Hrm...

I'll touch base when I've got something definitive to mention.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:43 AM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Interesting tutorial on re-vitalizing a screeching motor.

Don't know how big the holes in the cap are, but could you squirt in some light oil w/ a very fine hypodermic needle -- kind of like the very fine ones used by diabetics for insulin?

Probably want to "square off" the tip of the needle, since you don't have to push it through skin. Would make it safer, too...
Insulin needles are a bit fine for oil, but this will work just fine.
Less than $6 delivered, oil included. http://www.amazon.com/Zona-Tool-Comp...0119343&sr=1-6
Nunja Business is online now Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:22 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
At least it looks faster...
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
Subscribed, I'm getting one for my son.
I will read the thread a little later.

What's up guys?
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,143 Posts
Your a great Dad. Your son will love it. Happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:48 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Subscribed, I'm getting one for my son.
I will read the thread a little later.

What's up guys?
Might as well get one for yourself also..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:22 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,318 Posts
I wonder how much more agile, if any, the champ would be with shorter wings. Might fly like the cub?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
Crash McNooblet
Joined Nov 2009
47 Posts
Motor Restored!

Just a quick update for anyone that's interested.

I've fixed the wobbly flight characteristics of my Champ + camera. I ripped out the mount and then thought up a whole new way to mount it almost completely under the entire fuselage....which would have been super easy had I just done that in the beginning. Now that there is a big ole HOLE in my fuse, I had to cover it/seal it and still mount the camera partially over that hole...no big deal, just ugly.

Also, since my Mustang motor had gone ~pffzzzttt~ on me, I've restored it, no issues yet and I've flown it a few-teen times in the last 2 or 3 days already....AND!!! I took a GWS EP6050 prop and trimmed some of each tip off of it so it would match the length of the stock prop, gently filed & rounded the tips while checking balance...made a hard wood adapter for it...and have flown it with a great big ole smile on my face!!!

With no extra weight from camera or anything...my Champ can nearly hover! I have still gotten full (7min 30sec) flights with this prop (150mAh battery+mustang motor) and have had no issues yet, that I know of. The only thing I've monitored so far is the temperature of a few things immediately after landing, between the stock prop (w/Mustang motor) and this gimped 6050 prop...the only thing different is the battery, which has only been about 12F warmer on the average. (Not reaching LVC...using down timer on my DX6i).

I like flying with this prop and the mustang motor...it's fairly aggressive and has some outstanding power!! I would really like to compare it to the 5043 prop...and even though this trimmed 6050 is nice....I bet the 5043 is still all around better, mainly because of basic prop design. *The 6050 is wider nearer it's tips, the 5043 is generally all wide, and the stock is widest about a 1/2 inch from the hub and gets narrow as it extends outwards towards the tips. So...the 6050 produces it's most thrust near the tip, the 5043 produces it "almost" equally for 2/3rds of its length but getting weaker near the tips, and the stock produces it's most thrust within 1/2inch from the hub. (make sense? I posted pics of each for easy visual comparison.)

Finally, I said I would post something more solid in regards to my Mustang motor seizing up and my restoring it... I saved everyone the misery of having to watch my humiliate myself on camera...even if for something so simple and mundane as a repair tutorial (The closest I'll ever get to letting myself be on camera is when I fly near or over myself and have a camera on the plane!) I did however make a quick video so everyone can see for themselves what my motor was doing when it started going kaput on me...and what it sounded like after I gave it a few squirts of go-juice!

**You all have my word that the "after" motor is the exact same motor as the "before" motor! I still can't promise the same results for anyone else, but if it doesn't, the only thing I can think of is that I must not push my motors as hard as everyone else...maybe?

Anywho, Before & After video of my Champ's seizing Mustang motor:
Anywho...before and after video of my Champ's seizing Mustang motor:

Happy flying, and cross your fingers in hopes that we all start getting better flying weather soon!!!

-Scott
Last edited by ci_phon; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: fiexd typos :p
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,318 Posts
Mine sounded the exact same - DAMN - I hate that noise lol

I need some of that Detox lube. Your UMP51 motor had the holes in the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci_phon View Post
Just a quick update for anyone that's interested.

I've fixed the wobbly flight characteristics of my Champ + camera. I ripped out the mount and then thought up a whole new way to mount it almost completely under the entire fuselage....which would have been super easy had I just done that in the beginning. Now that there is a big ole HOLE in my fuse, I had to cover it/seal it and still mount the camera partially over that hole...no big deal, just ugly.

Also, since my Mustang motor had gone ~pffzzzttt~ on me, I've restored it, no issues yet and I've flown it a few-teen times in the last 2 or 3 days already....AND!!! I took a GWS EP6050 prop and trimmed some of each tip off of it so it would match the width of the stock prop, gently filed & rounded the tips while checking balance...made a hard wood adapter for it...and have flown it with a great big ole smile on my face!!!

With no extra weight from camera or anything...my Champ can nearly hover! I have still gotten full (7min 30sec) flights with this prop (150mAh battery+mustang motor) and have had no issues yet, that I know of. The only thing I've monitored so far is the temperature of a few things immediately after landing, between the stock prop (w/Mustang motor) and this gimped 6050 prop...the only thing different is the battery, which has only been about 12F warmer on the average. (Not reaching LVC...using down timer on my DX6i).

I like flying with this prop and the mustang motor...it's fairly aggressive and has some outstanding power!! I would really like to compare it to the 5043 prop...and even though this trimmed 6050 is nice....I bet the 5043 is still all around better, mainly because of basic prop design. *The 6050 is wider nearer it's tips, the 5043 is generally all wide, and the stock is widest about a 1/2 inch from the hub and gets narrow as it extends outwards towards the tips. So...the 6050 produces it's most thrust near the tip, the 5043 produces it "almost" equally for 2/3rds of its length but getting weaker near the tips, and the stock produces it's most thrust within 1/2inch from the hub. (make sense? I posted pics of each for easy visual comparison.)

Finally, I said I would post something more solid in regards to my Mustang motor seizing up and my restoring it... I saved everyone the misery of having to watch my humiliate myself on camera...even if for something so simple and mundane as a repair tutorial (The closest I'll ever get to letting myself be on camera is when I fly near or over myself and have a camera on the plane!) I did however make a quick video so everyone can see for themselves what my motor was doing when it started going kaput on me...and what it sounded like after I gave it a few squirts of go-juice!

**You all have my word that the "after" motor is the exact same motor as the "before" motor! I still can't promise the same results for anyone else, but if it doesn't, the only thing I can think of is that I must not push my motors as hard as everyone else...maybe?

Anywho, Before & After video of my Champ's seizing Mustang motor:
Anywho...before and after video of my Champ's seizing Mustang motor:

Happy flying, and cross your fingers in hopes that we all start getting better flying weather soon!!!

-Scott
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:04 AM
Crash McNooblet
Joined Nov 2009
47 Posts
Yes, both my original Mustang motor had the holes, as did the replacement motor that HH sent me....also, my Champ's stock motor has the holes too....odd. So I am sorry for my earlier comment/question regarding the holes in the motors. Also, I've been reading a lot of conflicting posts from a lot of different people! It makes me wonder if HH is getting these motors from multiple distributors/manufacturers... Seems there may be as many different variations of these motors as there are of the different spy cameras lol!

BTW, before I came across DeoxIT, I did have successful luck with automatic transmission fluid and power steering fluid. If you try one of those, watch out for various brands that add 'extras' like, teflon or silocon additives, they might hurt a motor more than help it. Additives like "detergents" on the other hand would most likely help to restore a seized motor.

If one can get my thing to work for them, great... It usually only takes me about 10 minutes to restore a motor, once I've gathered all the stuff needed that is. Being as how I have like...A.D.D....still...as an adult....it takes me 10 minutes alone just to get a paper towel! lol I know I make it sound like I've done this a million times also...but in reality it'd be closer to 20ish times...including the few times I've used transmission and steering fluid. I worked in a factory a few years ago, which is when I learned of DeoxIT in the first place... we'd get service calls for various servos going bad on different machines, usually a servo that was either exposed to too much heat or too much dirt, and there was the occasional over voltage causing arcing and excessive carbon buildups. (Smaller...more precise types of machinery). It was taught to me as one of those "tricks of the trade" kind of things. It has just never failed for "me" yet, thankfully.

If it doesn't work for someone else.....it's either from the problem being much more severe.....or completely different. In any case, I still wish anyone who tries good luck!

I figure that if it takes me ~10 minutes to restore a motor, that's better than having to wait a few days for one in the mail..especially if that one in the mail was on backorder!!! One could even do this out in the field if they were desperate enough.

Again, good luck. Let me know if I can be of any other/more assistance. And remember, the "thinner" the final oil....once everything else has been flushed out...the better the results!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:41 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
And I tossed a Champ motor 2 weeks ago doing the same whine....grrr...Shoulda saved it/revived it.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:40 AM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Well I can't leave well enough alone and in goes the mustang motor gear mount and all. most of my batteries are 120's but I can keep the throttle on low {plus I have a bridge to sell...lol }. All of my p-51 and suk. motors don't come with any holes. the one with them is out of the champ of course. A kids day center next door asked me to fly for the kids today even though it was a tad windy I said sure. Ended up a gust took it into a tree and it took a fair bet of shaking to get it down...lol. Kids had fun. No damage.
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:01 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I wonder how much more agile, if any, the champ would be with shorter wings. Might fly like the cub?

If you want something to fly like a Cub get a Cub..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob