SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I maidened my mini Sukhoi today with Champ guts hooked to elevator and ailerons.

Talk about white-knuckle-flying. Couldn't get the cg quite right...finally got it trimmed in reasonably well...and couldn't get over about 40 feet of altitude. I think the wind was gusting a little higher up...felt pretty calm on the ground...but I'd get it up 30-40 feet, and it would jerk to one side and lose altitude immediately. First time in my (young) flying career that I've used low rates...and it helped a little...had a few hard landings, but nothing too serious.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:38 AM
Motorcycles are my life!
Manhattan Beach, California
Joined Dec 2004
74 Posts
RC Funlab Champ Upgrade Kit

Found this upgrade kit on the web...anybody using it? Seems like a good deal at $15?

http://store.rcfunlab.com/HobbyZone_...vrbt-chpkt.htm
Superduke is offline Find More Posts by Superduke
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
70 Posts
landing gear mods

so I've been having a lot of fun with my camp but there was always bothering me that i could not make a nice landing because the landing gear always acted as a spring and and the camp bounced but with some thin cord i was able to fix this
RCICE is offline Find More Posts by RCICE
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:37 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCICE View Post
so I've been having a lot of fun with my camp but there was always bothering me that i could not make a nice landing because the landing gear always acted as a spring and and the camp bounced but with some thin cord i was able to fix this
Always the plane, never the pilot. I have the same problem with them dumb hammers. I still can't find one that will hit the nail...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:42 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my "Super" Champ. I have added ailerons and flaps along with the added P-51 hourspower. This is my new towplane and float plane. These mods male it alot more fun to fly, super slow flight can be achieved with the flaps and ailerons give it a good roll capability. The added thrust is just for fun. This was the test body, the new foam with the fancy paint job and all the scale accesspries will receive all the elctronics very soon.

I wanted to add that the Ailerons and flaps are fully fuctional, it is now a true 5 channel setup!
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by edge_pilot; May 01, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:38 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
Here are a few pictures of my "Super" Champ. I have added ailerons and flaps along with the added P-51 hourspower. This is my new towplane and float plane. These mods male it alot more fun to fly, super slow flight can be achieved with the flaps and ailerons give it a good roll capability. The added thrust is just for fun. This was the test body, the new foam with the fancy paint job and all the scale accesspries will receive all the elctronics very soon.
Very cool!

Looks like the ailerons are on servos. Modded from UM P-51, T-28?

And, are the flaps permanently positioned? How does that affect flight characteristics?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:45 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
The ailerons are run with one servo setting sideways under the wing inside the body. I used .015 wire in small plastic tubes to run to each aileron, works very well with very little weight.

The flaps are on a servo for full operation. I glued the flaps to a piece of CF rod, then I hinged the CF rod, installed a bellcrank and run it from a servo in the center of the wing inside the body. True 5 channel operation with this setup.

I mixed the ailerons with rudder on a switch for normal flying around, makes very nice cordinated turns.

The flaps I mixed with elevator so no matter the position of the flaps the plane flys straight and true. The flaps have full affect of flying with no bad habits. Slow flight is VERY slow with them all the way down. Its funny when you deploy them while going fast, it looks like the plane has airbrakes!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:01 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
The ailerons are run with one servo setting sideways under the wing inside the body. I used .015 wire in small plastic tubes to run to each aileron, works very well with very little weight.

The flaps are on a servo for full operation. I glued the flaps to a piece of CF rod, then I hinged the CF rod, installed a bellcrank and run it from a servo in the center of the wing inside the body. True 5 channel operation with this setup.

I mixed the ailerons with rudder on a switch for normal flying around, makes very nice cordinated turns.

The flaps I mixed with elevator so no matter the position of the flaps the plane flys straight and true. The flaps have full affect of flying with no bad habits. Slow flight is VERY slow with them all the way down. Its funny when you deploy them while going fast, it looks like the plane has airbrakes!

Very nice job.... Now we know what the next HZ release should be.. These will sell like crazy...
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:08 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
I would love to see HZ come out with a Dehavilan Beaver thats this size, I could go nuts with that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:24 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
I would love to see HZ come out with a Dehavilan Beaver thats this size, I could go nuts with that.
With a float kit.. Oh YES...

And I can fly it like this;;

de Havilland Beaver Plane Crash at Lake Hood (HD) (1 min 15 sec)
Last edited by livonia bob; Jan 09, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:59 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
at the end of that video i was almost yelling NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:09 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10 View Post
at the end of that video i was almost yelling NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know why is was holding so much back pressure on the stick he had enough speed to get it up on the step but he kept plowing with it..
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:16 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
i think they forgot to push the throttle past half way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:19 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I agree --- it never stood up on the skids properly. He should have never went towards the fence... I would have rode the middle of the lake all the way down.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Jan 09, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:25 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,854 Posts
Ohh man. I almost soiled myself watching that one. hahahahahahha. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy