276 Posts
LOL That is thinking outside the box!!
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:12 PM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Sorry, I'm lazy and didn't read all pages, but did someone installed a brushless motor ?
I guess it's only possible using a brushed to brushless converter:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=977791&pp=100
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboui View Post
Sorry, I'm lazy and didn't read all pages, but did someone installed a brushless motor ?
I guess it's only possible using a brushed to brushless converter:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=977791&pp=100
At this point, 1S brushless is more trouble than its worth on the Champ.

$10 Brushed motors make more thrust, unless you spend > $40.

The prices on geared brushless 1S motors may come down significantly in the next 6 months, but as of today, a Mustang motor swap will give much more bang for your buck.

The Nine Eagles Brushed motors appear to give even better bang for the buck.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:48 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Right...I read through all that a many, many pages ago...more trouble and money than it's worth...for no real gain.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:06 PM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Thanks to you members.
My debuts on rcgroups are really entertainning
And highly valuable.
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:10 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Doug got my TP160 from Hobby Town, via Horizon.

HogPen, Well I come from an airplane family. Gen Billy Mitchell, and Col John Mitchell, (who planned and led the P-38 raid on Gen Yamamoto) are in the family tree,so for me it was either a B-25 or a P-38, so went with the P-38 and picked out probably the best known one out there.
Heck even the flying field I own in PA is "Glacier Field".

Anywho, found something to tickle your wing mod ideas. A low wing variant and a twin.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:36 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
At this point, 1S brushless is more trouble than its worth on the Champ.

$10 Brushed motors make more thrust, unless you spend > $40.

The prices on geared brushless 1S motors may come down significantly in the next 6 months, but as of today, a Mustang motor swap will give much more bang for your buck.

The Nine Eagles Brushed motors appear to give even better bang for the buck.
If a brushless controller just takes in a 'signal-level' signal, could you use a champ brick with a 1S batt and a controller that has it's own 2S battery?

That's making things a bit complicated, but in theory?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Hey guys,

I made this video of my first night flight. Please keep the laughter to a dull roar, LOL. It was a little windy and the camera was $12.00 on Ebay. . So it is a bit shakey.....and might make you dizzy, Lol.

Maybe one day I will buy a nice camera. Until then, I will be shooting with this little keychain and having fun with it.

I found with the performance mods and what not, she flies with little to no throttle at all. However, when you point the nose up and stick the throttle she climbs like crazy.

Anyway, here is my Cheesy video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeBgliaUk4

One of our members wanted to see how I ran the wires for the Navigation lights. I hope this helps...
jcgn2flyin is offline Find More Posts by jcgn2flyin
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:32 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Dude...that's awesome...lookin' good!

On a side note...I just built a mini Sukhoi on Champ-guts...and I would have had rudder hooked to ailerons...but the pushrodd snapped. So...just elevator and ailerons. Testing went well...need to fly it tomorrow...
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
If a brushless controller just takes in a 'signal-level' signal, could you use a champ brick with a 1S batt and a controller that has it's own 2S battery?

That's making things a bit complicated, but in theory?

Dave
It may be possible, but I haven't had luck doing this.

I have 2S planes with AR6400's and to program the ESC, I needed to keep the brick on and bound and power the ESC on/off... which isn't possible, since the brick is powered by the ESC.

So, I powered the brick with 1S and Powered the ESC with 2S and only ran a signal wire and I could not get it to work. I'm sure it would work if they shared a ground, but it didn't work just sharing a signal wire.

I ended up using an AR6100 to program the ESC.

The other Problem with the champ brick is it needs a signal converter to work with an ESC.

for a 2S brushed Motor and the Champ brick, you could use a Lahti booster.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:40 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Nice video jcgn2flyin. And really nice lights! Looks like SDM LED's.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:23 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgn2flyin View Post
Hey guys,

One of our members wanted to see how I ran the wires for the Navigation lights. I hope this helps...
Has anyone glued and painted strips of copper or aluminum foil to the wings/body to make an almost invisible conductor?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:47 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone glued and painted strips of copper or aluminum foil to the wings/body to make an almost invisible conductor?

Dave
I haven't yet but I do have the copper tape. I just have to cut it into thin strips.. Another one of my winter projects..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:23 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
I've had a 5043 on my Champ for quite some time now. It's a significant improvement, but with my batteries (stock and Turnigy 160s), it would cut out easily if the weather was cold or I was strapping my keychain cam to the plane.

Today I use a Hyperion G3 160 and I couldn't believe the difference! It took off STRAIGHT UP from a rolling takeoff, I had to be careful I didn't loop it into the ground!

It was breezy/gusty which I'm sure helped with lift, but the change was dramatic. I'm very happy with the difference this new battery has made...

The weather isn't as cold as it has been today so I can't comment on that performance criteria, but I'm sure it is better than it was.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:51 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:

Dave

You been looking over my shoulder or what?

That's what I had planned on the new one. Figured on a different color scheme, since it will be my second one. And decided to hide the wires/tape under the paint or stripes. Dang it.