HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:05 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
All this talk about TX settings, expo, mixing, rates, etc...we're still talking about the CHAMP...right?

I mean...it's all good...but aren't we putting on a tuxedo to go to Taco Bell here? Isn't this like asking Albert Pujols to pinch hit at a little league game?
haha, that's funny right there. I just fly mine all out as well with the rods in the holes that give the most throw with zero mixing, expo etc. Although I have to admit I do have a "low setting" with about 30% expo mixed in that I use when doing camera flying, so that it makes for smoother video.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:35 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgn2flyin View Post
Hey guys,

well I got the mods in for the Apprentice and the Champ. I worked on the Champ tonight. Here are the mods:

Tiny Brite Lights (Sub Micro Set)
Parkzone P51 motor and gearbox (I preoiled her and let the motor run for around a minute or so)
GWS 5043 Prop
1.23" Du-Bro wheels
Hyperion 320mAh 25C 1S Lipo

Performance picked up quite a bit. I went outside (Night time). It was very cool to fly her at night with the Navigation lights.

All in all I like the Mods thus far.

Here is a short video with some cheesy background music to show the lights...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aALs6..._order&list=UL

Anyway, just wanted to share.
Looks great!
Any chance you could post a shot of how you wired along the wings and tail?
This looks like something I might like to try.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
Looks great!
Any chance you could post a shot of how you wired along the wings and tail?
This looks like something I might like to try.
Sure thing. its not the prettiest job, but it works, LOL.

Ill take pics when I get home.
jcgn2flyin is offline Find More Posts by jcgn2flyin
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:48 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
All this talk about TX settings, expo, mixing, rates, etc...we're still talking about the CHAMP...right?

I mean...it's all good...but aren't we putting on a tuxedo to go to Taco Bell here?
Well it sure beats wearing a thong to Walmart's.

RD

[....anybody thinking about a turbine powered Vapor ????]
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:10 PM
I can fly from my wheelchair
Columbus Ga
Joined May 2008
30 Posts
[QUOTE=Doug Sipprell;17014725]Well it sure beats wearing a thong to Walmart's.

I think that I'll stop going to walmart just to be safe.
milgentrains is offline Find More Posts by milgentrains
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:28 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Hog Pen, AOA, if you view the wings from the side, having an equal distance TE to TE and LE to LE is equal AOA. To give a little more AOA you would drop the bottom wings LE just slightly on the Champ, as the top wing is already set. Like I said 1 to 3 degrees at most.

And why not play with settings? You guys are already dropping in big blocks, running nitro, and adding wings for better performance. LOL!

And speaking of nitro, got my TP 160 cell today. WOW! smaller, lighter, more capacity, higher C rating. My Champ loves it. It has more zip (highly technical term), speed and longer flight times. Happy, happy, joy, joy. (Ren & Stimpy)
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
... got my TP 160 cell today. WOW! smaller, lighter, more capacity, higher C rating. (Ren & Stimpy)
From where did you obtain the TP 160?

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:11 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Hog Pen, AOA, if you view the wings from the side, having an equal distance TE to TE and LE to LE is equal AOA. To give a little more AOA you would drop the bottom wings LE just slightly on the Champ, as the top wing is already set. Like I said 1 to 3 degrees at most.

And why not play with settings? You guys are already dropping in big blocks, running nitro, and adding wings for better performance. LOL!

And speaking of nitro, got my TP 160 cell today. WOW! smaller, lighter, more capacity, higher C rating. My Champ loves it. It has more zip (highly technical term), speed and longer flight times. Happy, happy, joy, joy. (Ren & Stimpy)
LOL...I did notice that my starbord wing tilts downward a bit too far...will fix. I set the lower wing a little further aft due to all the biplane pics I saw...and they looked like that...but I'm going to play with it anyway.

Oh...a couple other things - Ren and Stimpy are legends, and why...WHY does someone from FLORIDA have the name "Glacier Girl"
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:18 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I'm out of town until tuesday, but PM your address and I can send you some gears when I get home.
WOW...cheers to you, and the people on this site. I came home to 2 (what apprear(ed) to be) brand new servos! Thanks a million...way over the top, and I really appreciate it. But...I'm guessing by the marks on the cardboard, and the bent shafts...that the goons at the post office ran it through the sorter-of-doom...

Regardless...I got more than what I needed, and I think I can straighten the shafts out anyway. Even so...again...this was WAY MORE GENEROUS than I could have asked for.

I was gonna send this in a PM, but I felt inclined to publicly lament your good deeds, as they are typical of the folks here. If you have kids old enough (and interested in) riding horses...or you ever want to hop in a saddle...let me know. We give riding lessons, and have retired show horses that are 110% kids safe...so you are welcome to come out some time. Oh...and I have acres of tree-free flying area too...lol.

*Hope I'm not ebarrassing you...but I wanted to thank you!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
WOW...cheers to you, and the people on this site. I came home to 2 (what apprear(ed) to be) brand new servos! Thanks a million...way over the top, and I really appreciate it. But...I'm guessing by the marks on the cardboard, and the bent shafts...that the goons at the post office ran it through the sorter-of-doom...

Regardless...I got more than what I needed, and I think I can straighten the shafts out anyway. Even so...again...this was WAY MORE GENEROUS than I could have asked for.

I was gonna send this in a PM, but I felt inclined to publicly lament your good deeds, as they are typical of the folks here. If you have kids old enough (and interested in) riding horses...or you ever want to hop in a saddle...let me know. We give riding lessons, and have retired show horses that are 110% kids safe...so you are welcome to come out some time. Oh...and I have acres of tree-free flying area too...lol.

*Hope I'm not ebarrassing you...but I wanted to thank you!
Hopefully the gears aren't too bunged up. I knew they would do that to me, whicih is why I used bubble wrap and cardboard... and it still was't enough. Next time I'll put packing peanuts in there.

I wouldn't use the servos, but pull off the gears and press them onto your servos. The Wipers aren't in good shape.

My son loves horses but I won't tell him because he's supposed to concentrating on homework, boyscouts, band and piano.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:37 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
lol...ok then...I had planned on swapping the gear. Thanks again!
Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
I've really been enjoying the posts on this thread and they have also been really helpful. I was planning on posting some pictures of the mods/repairs I've done. I was going to do that right after I flew it...

It's currently up about 30 ft. in a tree. I knew there was too much wind to fly, but I was impatient. I made it through 2 batteries, but on my last battery the wind caught it on a turn and sent it into the branches. I don't think there's any damage yet, but there might be before it comes down. Anyway, hopefully I can get it down tonight and post my pics soon after.
farles is offline Find More Posts by farles
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:03 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farles View Post
I've really been enjoying the posts on this thread and they have also been really helpful. I was planning on posting some pictures of the mods/repairs I've done. I was going to do that right after I flew it...

It's currently up about 30 ft. in a tree. I knew there was too much wind to fly, but I was impatient. I made it through 2 batteries, but on my last battery the wind caught it on a turn and sent it into the branches. I don't think there's any damage yet, but there might be before it comes down. Anyway, hopefully I can get it down tonight and post my pics soon after.
In my opinion...I'd rather wreck the airframe which is easily repairable than take the chance of my electronics getting rained on.

I say...start huckin' small logs at the limb it's in...maybe you'd rattle it lose from the limb...maybe you'll break it up a bit...and you can always tape and glue it up.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:09 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Or do the Navy UNREP thing. Throw a rock with a string or fishline tied to it over the branch and back down. Then use the string to pull over a heavier cord and shake the hell out of the branch. Less risk of bashing the plane with dense flying objects. (DFO's)
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:38 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Yeah...that's another way...

I actually planted a tree a couple months ago...it's only 10' tall right now...I'm thinking about pre-stringing all the branches as it grows...so I can recover my plane(s) 10 years from now.