HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Tonight after the little man is in bed...I shall unveil the "Big-Pop-Bipe".

Not only did I convert the Champ to a biplane (with the help of BigPop's "old" wings), it actually flies...and not too bad once ya' build up a little airspeed.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:00 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Tonight after the little man is in bed...I shall unveil the "Big-Pop-Bipe".

Not only did I convert the Champ to a biplane (with the help of BigPop's "old" wings), it actually flies...and not too bad once ya' build up a little airspeed.
Will be patiently waiting. I'm sure it'll be awesome!
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:05 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
The "big-pop-bipe"

Here it is...simple enough; took about 30 minutes - a couple of pins for each wing, some tape, and some support for the wings:

Completed:

And...a really crappy pic of it flying...I was trying to track it with my phone in one hand, and fly with the other...but...IT FLIES!!!

Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:49 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,389 Posts
Hog Pen, maybe it's the 3rd picture, but it looks like the bottom wing doesn't match the AOA of the top one. If so you are flying on the top wing still, the bottom one is just going along for the ride, and causing drag. On my bigger bipes it's usually 1 to 3 degrees max difference, top higher AOA then the bottom. Get it right and the Champ should just about be able to crawl through the air with all the additional lift.

Cool idea though, looks good, a neat concept.

Low wing version next? Hmmm.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:59 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,389 Posts
Mark, no problem, that why we are all here. To share ideas and things we found to work.

Next up for me is full Nav lamps. Already working with micro sized LED's, make the 3mm ones look like search lamps in size. Alternating flashing double wing tips, beacon, and strobes for it. Should end up at only a couple of grams total for the whole system.

Tough part is the soldering for me. Crappy eye sight. I use a double magnifier system for micro work, makes the pencil tip solder pen look like I'm using a telephone pole. LOL!
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:02 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Did the bipechamp last year...lol works well..enjoy it. great for indoor.
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:24 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
The angle of the wings is almost spot-on...should the bottom wing be a bit more horizontal? or that the leading edge of the wings should line up vertically? Also...in flight...it required A LOT of rudder input to actually turn...I'll move it in a hole or two and see if that helps.

Oh...and yes...I am considering a low wing version as well...even thought about a gullwing...kind of a Champ/Corsair...lol

In fact...I've been toying with the idea of making this Champ a convertible between high/low wing, and bipe.

Hang on...GG...you're talking about the actual angle of the aerofoil itself being a bit nose-down on the bottom wing? I think you may be right...although it climbs out very well...but that could be the Stang motor.
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Jan 04, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:18 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
Pretty sweet Hog Pen, glad you put my old wings to use. Sorry about the black marker markings, lol, I was "testing" different sharpie's on the old wing b/c I wanted to color in on my new wing where the "ailerons" are. Just making sure the ink didn't have a effect on foam.

Glad they worked for ya. And so what is they, go along for the ride, it sure made it look cool.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:27 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
Hi guys, got my DX6i and did the bind to my Champ and all works well, are there any tips regarding settings that I should try???
Regards
asboss is offline Find More Posts by asboss
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:59 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asboss View Post
Hi guys, got my DX6i and did the bind to my Champ and all works well, are there any tips regarding settings that I should try???
Regards
asboss,
Congrats on your new DX6i, you're gonna love it.
I used mix1 to add some down elevator when throttle is increased (approx. 30%). This will help stop the ballooning effect.
My setup also includes some expo to soften the center of the rudder/elevator stick plus dual rates added for more scale flight.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:23 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC View Post
asboss,
Congrats on your new DX6i, you're gonna love it.
I used mix1 to add some down elevator when throttle is increased (approx. 30%). This will help stop the ballooning effect.
My setup also includes some expo to soften the center of the rudder/elevator stick plus dual rates added for more scale flight.
Thanks for your reply, can you explain how to add the mix ,expo and dual rates?? Being a DX6I newb.
Regards
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:38 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asboss View Post
Thanks for your reply, can you explain how to add the mix ,expo and dual rates?? Being a DX6I newb.
Regards
A better sollution to ballooning with the champ is a heavier battery all the way forward.

The Champ shouldn't need a Throttle elevator mix with a 180 battery. You get longer flight times and smoother flights.

A Throttle > elevator mix can be a little scary on takeoff for a beginner, especially if you hand launch.

The rates and Expo aren't required at all with the Champ, unless you move the control rods in on the control horns for more control surface throw. Just using a better radio makes flying smoother and more scale.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:34 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
A better sollution to ballooning with the champ is a heavier battery all the way forward.

The Champ shouldn't need a Throttle elevator mix with a 180 battery. You get longer flight times and smoother flights.

A Throttle > elevator mix can be a little scary on takeoff for a beginner, especially if you hand launch.

The rates and Expo aren't required at all with the Champ, unless you move the control rods in on the control horns for more control surface throw. Just using a better radio makes flying smoother and more scale.
Cheers UNGN, was getting a bit confused. as soon as the wind dies I will be out, one tip I got from youtube was to add 15% of up elevator on the flaps switch, so when I hand launch it give an up glide then flick the switch back to fly normal trim plane.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Hey guys,

well I got the mods in for the Apprentice and the Champ. I worked on the Champ tonight. Here are the mods:

Tiny Brite Lights (Sub Micro Set)
Parkzone P51 motor and gearbox (I preoiled her and let the motor run for around a minute or so)
GWS 5043 Prop
1.23" Du-Bro wheels
Hyperion 320mAh 25C 1S Lipo

Performance picked up quite a bit. I went outside (Night time). It was very cool to fly her at night with the Navigation lights.

All in all I like the Mods thus far.

Here is a short video with some cheesy background music to show the lights...
Hobbyzone Champ Navigation Lights (1 min 10 sec)

Anyway, just wanted to share.
jcgn2flyin is offline Find More Posts by jcgn2flyin
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:00 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
All this talk about TX settings, expo, mixing, rates, etc...we're still talking about the CHAMP...right?

I mean...it's all good...but aren't we putting on a tuxedo to go to Taco Bell here? Isn't this like asking Albert Pujols to pinch hit at a little league game?