HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:33 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
I have bought more batteries for my Champ but have only thicker velcro to use on them. As such I was going to use the extension wire as a way to easily charge my batteries.
I have even had my local hobby shop looking for the extension wires but they have had trouble locating somewhere they could buy them from as well.
As an alternative, I don't use velcro. I put squares of tape protecting the paint on either side of battery, then secure the battery with a strip of tape on tape. Works perfectly. The crossing tape needs to be replaced maybe every six or eight flights. The protective tape is "permanent".
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:40 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
And in case you noticed the blocked off intakes on the front. More devious work there. Those are baffles/deflectors to guide the intake air to the sides of the motor. Even added one to the chin intake after I cut it out, it directs the air to the bottom of the motor.
Nothing but a couple of pieces of an old manila folder, glued in with GWS glue.

Figure it's the same as my big stuff, getting air flow to the components that heat up, helps em last longer and work better, when they are air conditioned.

And take a look at the nose on mine. It's been on it more then once, and most of them have been on asphalt roads, concrete driveway, or a gravel running track. Not a mark on it.

Little bit of automotive clear chip tape doing it's job.
Gotta keep her looking good.
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:45 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
.....I have bought more batteries for my Champ but have only thicker velcro to use on them. As such I was going to use the extension wire as a way to easily charge my batteries.....
My trusty X-acto knife sawed off the side flanges of the stock charger (those little protrusions on each side of the slot where the battery slides into the charger).

Now, it's easier to make the battery-charger connection, even with thicker velcro.

Another thing that's worked for me: When I need to attach a new piece of velcro (either to a fuse or a battery), I supplement the velcro stick-on adhesive with a very tiny amount of epoxy. Before I started doing that, the velcro sometimes would pull away (particularly on the fuse side, and particularly in cold weather).
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:20 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
In addition to pugsam's tip, use non adhesive Velcro. The sticky back tape can be pretty thick on some of it. Use hot glue to adhere it if you want to be able to remove it, or CA/epoxy for a permanent bond.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:38 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-150-37-4Pack.htm
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:41 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I modded my charger, by unscrewing it and opening it, and relocating the LED and the Charge Plug to the outside, more specifically the front part with the words on it.

Works great now with heavy Velcro
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:14 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
After a full-throttle (UM P-51 motor/5043 prop) kiss with a brick wall yesterday...I've glued, taped, filled, shimmed, pressed, and otherwise convinced the airframe back into shape.

I installed my old brick that I fixed, since I broke apart pieces of the other one...straightened out a pushrod...oops...a little extra tape for the v-stab...and the h-stab...oh man...the prop...and shaft...and is that scortching I see around the motor?

In the livingroom...everyone is asleep; Bind...test...works.

So I think it's ready for tomorrow...a newcomer's debut in front of seasoned veterans with a ton of gas and glow engines...planes that dwarf the Champ under a single side of a skinned balsa wing. Weather calls for 3mph winds...about 50f/10c...sunny...with a chance of CHAMP.

It's time for the Champ to show why...it's called...the CHAMP.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:36 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
Champ/Decathalon

Hi

I fly a Champ and think it is a really great plane, however, I need something a bit more stable for carrying camera and altitude kit.

Here in the UK, Sussex Model Centre have the PZ Super decathlon with Bl 370
motor 10 amp esc and servos on offer for 49.99 a price cut of 40.

It is a derivative of the Champ but a bit bigger at 35.5 inch wing span and 16oz weight.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but it may be of interest to other UK Champ fliers who need a bit more power for kit hauling on occasions.

Graham
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:31 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Or just jump up to the Champ 15 by Eflite and comes from Horizon just like the PZ SD.
Lot bigger at 60" ws. Would make a heck of a camera craft.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:57 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Or just jump up to the Champ 15 by Eflite and comes from Horizon just like the PZ SD.
Lot bigger at 60" ws. Would make a heck of a camera craft.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Not quite what I had in mind!

The whole idea was the price and span, at 5' this one would almost carry me never mind the kit !
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:52 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
I posted this on the other Champ site, found some folks instead of using velcro retention are instead using the battery tray off a Blade MCX. No more velcro, and would give you cold weather folks something to attach the battery blanket to.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:26 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
I posted this on the other Champ site, found some folks instead of using velcro retention are instead using the battery tray off a Blade MCX. No more velcro, and would give you cold weather folks something to attach the battery blanket to.

I just glued a piece on 2mm foam over the whole battery ditch and slide the batteries in now. Keeps them warmer they don't fall off after a hard landing, looks better than a battery hanging out..Colored it with a orange Sharpie..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I just glued a piece on 2mm foam over the whole battery ditch and slide the batteries in now. Keeps them warmer they don't fall off after a hard landing, looks better than a battery hanging out..Colored it with a orange Sharpie..
Bob, something that clicked after I typed my post, and kinda on your post.

I used to run a collision shop, and when we got sheet metal parts in, they had this foam to protect the corners from dings. We called it "Alien Foam", super tight composition, it's nearly indestructible if you hit it with something. But it can be cut with a saw leaving a smooth edge, sanded, drilled,and shaped, and it weighs next to nothing. Being the normal scrounge we are, I always grabbed the chunks.
They made great protectors for packs if they slid forward into firewall bolts.
Heck I even made a 5" spinner form out of a chunk of it by just gluing it to a lite ply backer and chucking it into a drill press. Couple minutes with some sandpaper and I had a cone.

But anyhow, soon as I posted the MCX idea, it hit me. A piece of this could be cut and hollowed out to make an adjustable battery holder that could be glued the the fuse.

Took all of about 5 minutes on the jig saw, and drilling three holes with a bit for the slot, nother minute with an Xacto to finish trimming the hole out.

BINGO! I made it short enough so that the pack sticks out on each end.
Let's me make CG adjustments with ease. And it holds as snug as you want it too. To remove the pack, just push on one end and then grab the other end and slip it out.
For cold weather just make it longer and don't cut through the whole way through. Instant battery insulation.

With the short set up, your pack can still get some airflow on it to keep it cool in the summer.

I've already pulled the velcro off my packs and and the Champ. And am getting ready to glue the block in place. Nother bonus on this foam is CA or Gorila Glue, or epoxy, or even GWS glue will bond it.

Check your local body shops, they toss it out with the boxes. And in some cases you can get really big chunks of it. My best was a 3"x4" 8 foot long piece.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:17 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
BigPop...got the wing today...that was fast!

Dude...there's like...one crack in it...that's it...

*I'm sure I'll be changing that...LOL.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:08 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Glacier Girl, thanks for your mod posts, on the pop-top, motor cooling and "Alien Foam". Awesome ideas. Just had my Champ open for "Tiny Brites" installation and could have done the cooling deflectors then, oh well next time. I've got approximately 4 hours and 35 minutes runtime on my stock engine so far with no problems. Thanks again.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC