HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:51 AM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Two of the six would not charge as voltage was to low. I checked them, and they were around 1 volt.. Not a good sign at 9 bucks apiece..
I'll say! Surprising since Hyperion has such a good reputation.

Who was the vender? Hope they're going back.

Haven't I read somewhere (battery forum?) that there are ways to kickstart a low voltage LiPo up to where it will then take a normal charge? Using a regular NiMh charger? Tricky but do-able with care?

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:23 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post

Haven't I read somewhere (battery forum?) that there are ways to kickstart a low voltage LiPo up to where it will then take a normal charge? Using a regular NiMh charger? Tricky but do-able with care?

LaneVT
Yes you can and I did but still getting a 9 buck battery that's at 1v isn't a good sign of a long lasting powerful battery in the future..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:50 AM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Yes you can and I did but still getting a 9 buck battery that's at 1v isn't a good sign of a long lasting powerful battery in the future..
Hummmmm.....

Of course you could always get your 1S batteries like I did at the NEAT Fair in September. End of the day Sunday, I found two, a 160 mAh Hyperion and an E-flite, in the grass down at the Parkflyer end of the flight line.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:03 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Hummmmm.....

Of course you could always get your 1S batteries like I did at the NEAT Fair in September. End of the day Sunday, I found two, a 160 mAh Hyperion and an E-flite, in the grass down at the Parkflyer end of the flight line.

LaneVT
I don't have to go there, I'm sure I can find them laying around here also. But then I did have to pay for them...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:36 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
What charger were you trying to use to charge them?
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:48 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Regarding the Hyp 160s - back in September, Hyperion announced that a bad batch of 160 mAh UM cells made it to the vendors. Hyperion pulled the 160s from the shelves & told their vendors to do the same; however, some vendors may not have done so. It is possible that some of the bad Hyp 160s are still on the shelves.

See below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=302

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:15 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2008
186 Posts
Quote:
Very nice mod Ron...thanks for posting.

What brick is that?

LaneVT
the brick is out of the p 51 . I believe its the 6400 6 channel. I bought a pwm brushless converter to use with the stock brick but couldn' t get it to work . I sent it to Bob Selman at BSD Micro and he is checking it out for me . I will keep you informed. Thanks Ron
radicalron is offline Find More Posts by radicalron
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:30 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2008
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
^^ What are the pods and how are they mounted? CF or shipping take would be enuff to strengthen them.
Sentry, the video pod and the balancing pod are mounted solid. What i meant by ripping the wing off is because of the weight (75 grams) and the power(24 watts ) on the watt meter. At this weight , with a 4530 gws prop the plane pulls vertical no problem . I don't fly plane for aerobatics just cruisin for fpv. Thanks Ron
radicalron is offline Find More Posts by radicalron
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:29 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Well if I wasn't a happy camper before with the Champ, I most certainly am now.
According to the weather beach, it's 72 and 5 to 12 winds, at the airport in Lakeland.
Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'd say more like 10 and gusts above that 20 miles from there, where I am.

Poor thing if I'd put her down to tie up the mutts, she'd go cart wheeling across the grass from the wind. Finally, laid her on her back and put the tx on top to hold her down.

VTOL take off, actually was more of a rolling backwards take off. But she valiantly pointed her nose into the wind at full throttle and climbed like the proverbial Home Sick Angel.

Up, up, up, she climbed till she was flying with the vultures. Locked into the traffic pattern it was half throttle, coast, half throttle, coast, following them in big slow circles.

After a bit of that it was full throttle blasts into inside and outside loops, half loops into inverted flight let the wind do the work, just cut the throttle and glide, then power back up and do it again.

Get her lined up and slowly back off the throttle, and she would just hang in the air, minimal touches on the controls to keep her nose into the ever changing wind directions.

Touch and goes were either throttle on and drive her to the ground, then zoom back up into the sky, or cut the throttle and just slowly drop out of the sky, nose up,wings level and not moving forward at all.

Buzzed the mutts a few times, they didn't seem too interested, they'd follow it a couple of times then found other things more interesting then to be even bothered with it.

Finally LCV. Floated down and landed like nothing.

12 min 31 seconds on the timer. On a stock E-Flite 150. Stone cold, 3.66 volts showing, am charging it now to see what it took.

Popped the top off, love my mod, and the motor was not even a hint of warm. I couldn't feel a difference in it or touching anything else on the plane.

Hoping my lubing the gear box and motor and adding the baffles to direct air flow to the motor are helping with that.

But man what a little bird.

No power hop ups for me. She's just fine dead stock, power and speed wise.

And if anyone wants to deal, I have a new in the package, P-51 motor.
Be more then willing to trade if someone has a new gearbox and want's to pull the stock Champ motor out of it.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:17 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:

LaneVT
I got them from Advantage Hobby back in September to have for winter flying.. So feel bad about bitching after I have had them laying around here for 3 months.. But still I can take year old Turnigy 160 batteries and open up the package and they are fine..

I really think that the TP ones are better.. 47F today and I flew 19 minutes with a TP 160 taken from my shirt pocket and flown on the Champ with no battery covering. But then also did 15 minutes with a Nano-Tech 160. Now true I was doing mostly very low 1-2' and very slow flying in and out of the fog banks,,, had a blast.. Best flying day of the year I think... For sure the last one..
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
I managed three flights this morning before the winds started, temperature was around 58 F. Gotta love this plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Popped the top off, love my mod, and the motor was not even a hint of warm. I couldn't feel a difference in it or touching anything else on the plane.
Sorry, I must have missed your mod, did you use the mini rare earth magnets?
I've been thinking about using them, but I concerned they will pull out of the foam. It'd be great to just pop the top off.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:20 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I flew into the side of the house (brick)...at full throttle. I have no idea what the plane was thinking...it just dove left, and down.

On a happy note, I traded an extra Champ brick for a Sukhoi - servos/rx.

Damage to the Champ...busted the BRICK...kinda like the one I just put in the mail yesterday. Thank goodness I got rid of my other brick before I had a chance to fix this one...

OK...in all seriousness...I think I can fix it, if I can get a new gear for the elevator servo. The bigger gear is missing a quarter of itself...but everything seems to want to work...but with a gap if a half dozen or so teeth, I'm gonna hafta wait to find that little gear.

Anyone know where I can get one?
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:55 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
i think that if you could find someone with a broken cervo or rx they would send you the gear or you could by a new servo for it
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:02 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
One of these?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Search/Def...earchTerm=gear
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:20 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
Oh wow...yeah...I think I can get one there!

So many of them...what type of servo is that on the Champ brick?

on ebay...this one?: http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Flite-EFLH1068...item5adcbd7446
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Dec 31, 2010 at 08:26 PM.