HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
This has given me an idea how to get my wife on board with this hobby...
She might want something a little bigger that a pager motor..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:59 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
She might want something a little bigger that a pager motor..
You don't know my wife...LMAO!!!
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:02 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It's a matter of margins. The heli makers don't make motors (they buy them by the truckload), and they don't want to spend the money on quality brushed motors in this scale. High-quality motors in these sizes are expensive, and they're not all that common. At that point, one may as well go brushless...

Joel
They buy enough that they could have some carbon pads added to the brushes.. If they cared about us and not their pocket book..
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:11 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
They buy enough that they could have some carbon pads added to the brushes.. If they cared about us and not their pocket book..
I doubt that the RC industry accounts for more than a fraction of the motor manufacturer's sales volume.

Your last statement is key, I'm afraid....
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I doubt that the RC industry accounts for more than a fraction of the motor manufacturer's sales volume.

Your last statement is key, I'm afraid....
I don't think they are selling many of these motor to the pager industry.. when was the last time you bought a pager??

They are use for other things as well.. But most these other things in the past have been like pointed out for short interment use. But with these other uses do you think they need as many 8.45mm motors as there seems to out there.. Just look at HH there is a J-3 motor, the Champ, Mustang all seem to be different they throw in the SP ans SX motors which are reported to be different power also..

Would be interesting to trace where these motors are being made and all their end users..
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Corporate thinks that it is not economically feasable to design a constant-duty brushed motor to outlast a brushless alternative.

Nor would they want to right now.

Corporate thinks that the future of these micros is going to go brushless anyways.

Hasn't this already started to occur? Of coarse it has.

It is all about huge corporate profit in the here and now.

So lets sell cheap motors with a huge mark-up like our competitors.
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:46 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
I just received these wheels in the mail. I was wondering about painting them. I noticed some of you have painted yours. How is the paint holding up? And did you remove the "foam tire" to paint?

And the 808 camera, How do you set the date and time?
To set the time, go into Notepad and create a file, with this lines:

[date]
2010/12/24
10:15:00

make the date and time current then save it to your desktop as a text file named TAG

The connect your 808 camera and copy the file to the drive

Here is a video I did yesterday of twin 808 keychain cameras mounted on fluttery wings of a GWS Cub. My Champ's brick dies after 3 months so I sent it back to HH hoping theor inspection will call it a "manufacture defect" and I'll get a new one. Either way I'll post results here.
Review Twin Keychain cameras onboard GWS Pico Cub flying over Snowy Switzerland (2 min 46 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
You know you can make a vid w/ both a split-screen of both cams - not very hard.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:37 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Did you say "Jelly effect"? Hahahahaha. I love it! That is a good name for it. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,541 Posts
TheLeabres,

A little more info on copying the file to drive.

Which folder will I be copying it to? Like, when I first hook up my cam, it has a folder named "dcim" or something like that. Then I think I open two more folders until I get to the actual video. Which do I copy it to?

And do I have to do this every time I upload a video?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:53 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
This has given me an idea how to get my wife on board with this hobby...

big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:53 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
My Champ's brick dies after 3 months so I sent it back to HH hoping theor inspection will call it a "manufacture defect" and I'll get a new one. Either way I'll post results here.
If they don't replace it...I have a brand new Champ brick I'd be willing to part with...would actually prefer a trade, if you have some goodies I want.

PM meif you're interested.

As to my Champ endeavours...I FINALLY got my 5043 props today. It only took them 3 weeks. I have a few extras I'd be willing to trade off in exchange for some prop adapters...I brain-farted, and forgot to order them too.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
Washington
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Champ Tail Mod.

Well after many Tail replacements I finally decided there has to be something better.

Few things to note. With the added wheels and lights running a 240 mah 20c battery my fly weight is around 53 grams. I do not have a very good landing pad it is a bit bumpy. With all that I kept having issues with the rear steering wheel causing damage to the tail rudder. Eventually ending in failure on the pivot point that inserts into the rear fuse.

So after many tail replacements I decided that something must give.

I cut this rudder out of abs.
Although it files fine it is a little on the tail heavy side. I am contemplating either drilling many small holes to lighten the load or sanding the non stressed areas and making them much thinner.

at anyrate it appears to be holding up quite well at this point..
LndShrk is offline Find More Posts by LndShrk
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:55 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Styrofoam plate would be much lighter than ABS. Excellent engineering though!!
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndShrk View Post
With all that I kept having issues with the rear steering wheel causing damage to the tail rudder. Eventually ending in failure on the pivot point that inserts into the rear fuse.
I had this happen to me within the first week of owning the Champ. A little hot glue, and some scotch tape, andit has not failed again...even with some impressive damage to the rest of the plane, up to , and including ripping the tail completely off, pulverizing both the V and H stabs, and shredding the rudder into 5 pieces. tape...Tape...TAPE!!!