HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:22 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,023 Posts
Catch it! I do it all the time. Big snow here too.
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,437 Posts
you think snow would mess up plane and/or cam?
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
you think snow would mess up plane and/or cam?
Plane...pobably not. Cam...maybe so. Not so much the snow itself, but it has a way of getting packed into the little grooves, and melts into those grooves.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2010
101 Posts
Another Champ Flight

Hi guys,

did 3 packs this afternoon in the snow and a bit of editing. Had a great time flew under the goal posts and a few dodgey loops and landed in my hand , fingers got cold and light was going so went home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3846rjKNec

Thanks for watching
asboss is offline Find More Posts by asboss
Last edited by asboss; Dec 26, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:33 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
FYI...stock batteries on the P-51 motor last about 2 minutes at WOT.

Still haven't 'flown out' the 500mah pack yet...I'm estimating about 40-45 minutes of mostly WOT. Balance is better too.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:51 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,437 Posts
I personally see nothing wrong with the stock motor.
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
BP,

I don't think anyone was implying that there is anything wrong with the stock motor. Some of us simply wanted more power. The P-51 & SP motors are drop-in hop-ups - provided that you use quality cells, such as Hyperion 160/180/240, TP 160, or Intellect 160 cells.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:52 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
That's because you haven't tried the bigger motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
BP,

I don't think anyone was implying that there is anything wrong with the stock motor. Some of us simply wanted more power. The P-51 & SP motors are drop-in hop-ups - provided that you use quality cells, such as Hyperion 160/180/240, TP 160, or Intellect 160 cells.

Joel
Exactly right, Joel...nothing wrong AT ALL with the stock motor...the plane actually flies better with it. But...for fun, and Champrobatics...the upgraded motor, and fat-boy battery is awesome.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,516 Posts
Quote:
BP,

Joel
I just replaced a sick motor in my #1 4-Site with a SP motor and while it gave me 32G thrust over the sick ones 29g my other 4-Site with a mustang motor gives 40g.. So I'm not sold on the SP motors...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:20 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I just replaced a sick motor in my #1 4-Site with a SP motor and while it gave me 32G thrust over the sick ones 29g my other 4-Site with a mustang motor gives 40g.. So I'm not sold on the SP motors...
Bob,

There seems to be a similar variability in power with these motors as there is with the others. With the 5043 & Hyp 180, my SP-motored Champ will hover for 30 sec or more.

Of course, they are all pager motors, and none of them were designed to be used as powerplants. They're designed for intermittent duty - vibrating pagers & cellphones, operating CD/DVD carousels/drawers, and the like. Nobody cares if one CD drawer opens a bit quicker than the next, provided that an acceptable number of them meet spec. We push these motors far beyond their design spec. Hence, why we see so much variability in power output & longevity.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,166 Posts
Quote:
.....vibrating pagers & cellphones....
So our beloved, rugged Champs are just.........big vibrators???

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
This has given me an idea how to get my wife on board with this hobby...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,516 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

There seems to be a similar variability in power with these motors as there is with the others. With the 5043 & Hyp 180, my SP-motored Champ will hover for 30 sec or more.

Of course, they are all pager motors, and none of them were designed to be used as powerplants. They're designed for intermittent duty - vibrating pagers & cellphones, operating CD/DVD carousels/drawers, and the like. Nobody cares if one CD drawer opens a bit quicker than the next, provided that an acceptable number of them meet spec. We push these motors far beyond their design spec. Hence, why we see so much variability in power output & longevity.

Joel
Yea I know all this... I'm just a big sucker for when someone starts talking about the perfect motor they found,, you know cheap, powerful, long lasting, good for the environment, 25% of the money goes to feeding hungry kids. His kids...

But if all these heli makers can keep coming out with all these new models all the time spending lots of money for molds etc why can't they make a good motor?? I means just a couple of carbon pads on the brushes in these would go a long ways in making them better..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:51 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
So our beloved, rugged Champs are just.........big vibrators???

Only when the prop is chipped....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Yea I know all this... I'm just a big sucker for when someone starts talking about the perfect motor they found,, you know cheap, powerful, long lasting, good for the environment, 25% of the money goes to feeding hungry kids. His kids...

But if all these heli makers can keep coming out with all these new models all the time spending lots of money for molds etc why can't they make a good motor?? I means just a couple of carbon pads on the brushes in these would go a long ways in making them better..
It's a matter of margins. The heli makers don't make motors (they buy them by the truckload), and they don't want to spend the money on quality brushed motors in this scale. High-quality motors in these sizes are expensive, and they're not all that common. At that point, one may as well go brushless...

Joel
RCG Plus Member