Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
SuperChamp: SP motor, 5043 prop, Hyp 180

The SP motor continues to get stronger....

I took her up this afternoon in +34 F temps. Big, round loops, inverted flight, successive outside loops, and I managed to hang her on the prop for about 30 sec or so. I'd call that a hover! She wouldn't pull out vertically, but she flew out of the maneuver horizontally without losing altitude in the process. Wow - what a performer! So far, the SP motor seems to be slightly less powerful than a strong P-51 motor. I expect that the performance will continue to improve over the next 10 flights or more. We shall see....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:52 PM
Eat. Sleep. Fly.
Sunny SoCal
Joined Dec 2010
112 Posts
so. an SP motor slides right into the gearbox, but the OE pinion needs to be drilled for it to fit? what about the connector?
SoupInMyCoupe is offline Find More Posts by SoupInMyCoupe
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupInMyCoupe View Post
so. an SP motor slides right into the gearbox, but the OE pinion needs to be drilled for it to fit? what about the connector?
SIMC,

The motor is a drop-in, but the SP pinion must be removed & the PZ pinion must be drilled & pressed or glued onto the shaft, and you have to solder a PZ motor pigtail onto the existing wires. So far, it's working well, but I'll have to fly it for a couple hundred flights to see it it lasts longer than the P-51/4-Site/XP/T-28 motor lasts. There are a number of people experimenting with the motor, and so far, most seem to be getting good results as compared to the P-51 motors. I have read a couple reports of some bad motors, however. The sample size is still very small, statistically speaking, so it's not possible to draw any solid conclusions yet.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
So far, I have a couple solid hours on my UM P-51 motor...at WOT...no issues as of yet, and seems to be breaking in nicely. THis is with the stock Champ prop, since the @$$-holes I ordered my 5043's from waited 2 weeks before even shipping them.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
So far, I have a couple solid hours on my UM P-51 motor...at WOT...no issues as of yet, and seems to be breaking in nicely. THis is with the stock Champ prop, since the @$$-holes I ordered my 5043's from waited 2 weeks before even shipping them.
THP,

Hope you got one of the good ones. Of the four P-51 motors I've bought as hop-ups, two did the 'death-screech' within one flight or less in my V2 Sukhoi 26m, one did the 'space-heater impression' after about an hour of flight in my Champ, and the other one is still going strong after 200+ flights in my V2 Sukhoi w/5043 prop & Hyp 240 cells. Of my three Sukhoi XPs, one died on the power line before the motor had a chance to get old, one is still going strong after 100+ flights, and the other is still going after 80+ flights, but it has always been noticeably weaker than the other two.

The P-51/4-Site/XP/T-28 motor seems to be a crap-shoot, of sorts. Plus, evidence suggests that the power on the good ones varies by ~30%. The lower-power motor that's used in the V1 & V2 Sukhoi 26m and the Champ seems to be more consistent and more reliable. That's just the way it goes when we're using 'pager' motors as powerplants. They were designed to vibrate pagers & cellphones, operate CD/DVD carousels and drawers. They were never intended to be used as motive power. Hence, the apparent QC issues we've experienced.

I'm hoping that the SP motor fares better, but I'm not holding my breath. So far, reports are favorable. We'll need a lot more data to draw a statistically valid conclusion, however...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:46 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Maybe it's all this good Texas living...I was actually able to hang on the prop a little with the stock Champ motor...the P-51 motor turns my Champ into a helo, and I can feather the rudder a bit and float around like Mary Poppins. I do keep forgetting to cut the throttle back when I'm making inverted passes though...and it rolls out, pauses, then shoots off like a rocket.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,487 Posts
808 Cam YouTube upload

I can't seem to get my videos to upload to YouTube. I am using the Windows Movie Maker.

How are you guys saving your videos? I see in the Movie Maker it gives you different choices for saving. I can get them to upload to Photobucket, but not Youtube

Help! ?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:50 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
You have to convert it to mpg...search "any video converter"...it's free,it's easy...I use it to convert WMM vids to youtube-able.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:53 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
with my WMM all you have to do is click publish one you have finished edditing and it will make a video that you can upload to youtube, but your cam might record in a different tpye of file so you might have to convert it
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
Champ

Ok, I do not post much, but lurk a lot.
I have read all of the post, all 101 pages.
I bought a Champ a few months ago, to get back into the hobby.
I have flown it lots. Have over 50-75 flights on it, maybe more.
I am flying in my yard and a small field, all lined with trees.
I finally had to replace the entire tail section, due to damage from hitting trees, shrubs, bushes, the ground, you name it.
The Champ keeps on flying, as you all know.
I have ordered a new fuse and plan to do the white glue mod, wing struts and the oversized tires.
Dubro has 1.45 inch tires, Micro sport, anyone flying these? They also have the 1.23 inch, which may be more scale, but looking for input to the 1.45"
I have been looking for the Ternegy 500 mah lipos and not finding them.
Anyone have a source?
Also the GWS 5030 prop, do I need to make an insert to fit the stock motor shaft?
Thanks,
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:23 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
EFLITE : http://www.amazon.com/500mAh-1-Cell-...3142815&sr=8-1

I liked the Tenergy 160MAH as well as the 240MAH from RCBABBEL
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrpaddlr View Post
I finally had to replace the entire tail section, due to damage from hitting trees, shrubs, bushes, the ground, you name it.
I have ordered a new fuse and plan to do the white glue mod, wing struts and the oversized tires.
Dubro has 1.45 inch tires, Micro sport, anyone flying these? They also have the 1.23 inch, which may be more scale, but looking for input to the 1.45"
Anyone have a source?
Also the GWS 5030 prop, do I need to make an insert to fit the stock motor shaft?
Thanks,
I think the Ternegy 500 batteries with the two leads where on E Bay?? Check out the 120SR thread might of been talk on there also about them.

Yes the Champ shaft is 1.5mm and the 5030 are for 3mm.. There is a guy selling GWS props and hub/spinners that I have purchase them from but I haven't tried them yet.. I'll post this and then edit it if I find his link..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have a source?
Thanks,
http://www.all-battery.com/lipobatte...mah-30536.aspx

Yes the Champ shaft is 1.5mm and the 5030 are for 3mm.. There is a guy selling GWS props and hub/spinners that I have purchase them from but I haven't tried them yet..

http://www.gwsprops.com/GWSPN002%20alone.JPG

http://www.gwsprops.com/index.htm

I have order three times from here and fast service.. But with Christmas might take awhile right now..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Dec 23, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:08 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have a source?
Thanks,
I got mine on Ebay...here is the old auction - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

I can't find them now on Ebay, or Amazon...but hopefully you can view the listing and get enough info to seek them out. Both sites have the E-Flite version, but they don't have the little connector for the Champ.

I can tell you that this battery is worth its weight in gold...and seems like it will fly all day at wot.

<edit> the seller is currently out of stock: http://www.all-battery.com/lipobatte...mah-30536.aspx
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Dec 23, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 PM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
500 mah lipo's

Yea, I have been looking, I cannot find them in stock.
If any one finds them, please post.
I will do the same.
I am flying with a 150 mah, getting 15 minutes slow and gentle, looking forward to 30 minutes!
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr