Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:51 AM
Mechanical Engineer
Florence, SC. USA
Joined Mar 2001
147 Posts
EAM F-18 Super Hornet- I'm scared!!!

Okay guys here is the deal, I've never flown an RC jet before. Notice i said RC. thats because i Have flown an F-15a before. I have been fastinated ever since. Anyway. I have a NIB S.Hornet and i'm scared to death of flying it, i don't want to put it back into kit form. I have a 3 channel Hitech Focus III as a radio, i'm using a 555 for the Rx and a Jeti ESC thats really good but i don't have the numbers because the cover was taken off when i bought it. It was in a Graupner Terry and the guy said it was over kill. The Fan recommended is the midi fan 480 and thats what i have, but i don't have a motor yet. I need help there too. I don't have any friends that can fly it for me to get it trimed out. Once i get it up, up and away i feel like i'll be okay-sort of anyway. I'm not sure about how to set up the batteries either. I need to build a bungee launcher too. OR O CAN JUST GET RID OF THE WHOLE DAMN THING AND GET SOMETHING I CAN FLY. wHICH IS ANYTHING BUT A JET. hELL I CAN PROBABLY FLY THE JET I'M JUST SCARED AS HELL SO, PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS. Any Help would be great!
ttnissan is offline Find More Posts by ttnissan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:46 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,643 Posts
First of all I don't think any of your equipment will work except the fan. These things go like stink. If you have never flown a jet before (I asume you have flown RC before?) Get a GWS a-10 and learn for cheap. Flying RC is nothing like flying the real thing!
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Jun 15, 2003, 04:49 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
What other rc planes have you flown? Best bet is to get a parkflyer first, something like the Fantastic or Wattage jets.
To fly the F-18, you will need a bungee setup. You won't be using the esc you have, best to use bl setup on this type of jet.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:52 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
The Hitec III will need to be able to mix Aileron with Elevator for driving the Tailerons, the kit uses just the elevators to control the pitch and the roll. If it does not have this ability then another system is needed.

I had one of the original models that I built from plans I aquired from Kevin Cox several years ago, it flies good with a BL and probably with an AP 29L on 10 cells. It flies good and has good manners but is not a beginers plane, if you have aileron/elevator experience then you could probably get by without tearing the plane up. Good luck.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:52 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
I've got the EAM F-18 not the super hornet but in all actuality the super hornet should be more docile than the F-18.
I believe it's got a bit more wing area, and is a little larger in size. If you haven't flown a few aileron R/C airplanes then forget about it though. When it banks let me tell you it banks you just have to know how much to bump the stick otherwise you'll just do rolls.
I fly mine on a MF-480 with an AP29L on 10x2400CP's. I flew it on 10x1300's first though. Handlaunch is ok, but bungee is better still makes me nervous though. I'm working on a bungee with a steeper ramp so it launches about 35-40 degree's up. 60mph and 2 1/2 feet off the ground is hairy on launch.

It's not too bad once you get some altitude and adjust to it though. It's the getting the altitude thats the challenge. Plus remember it's not a prop plane, and it's not a jet! It's an EDF fast on the wing, and a game of energy. There's just not much raw thrust to save a bad mistake without altitude.

My advice would be to get a good simulator for your PC, and get your thumbs up to speed. I've found that if I grab a F-16 on my simulator which is blazingly fast, and fly it around when I go to the field even watching turbine jets fly they seem slow, and docile.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:00 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2001
85 Posts
I've been flying the EAM f-18 for about 6 mos. at the Ridgeville, SC. field. You may want to come down sometime, as it is only 1 1/2 hour away. And you can contact me for many pointers. Be glad to help.

Gary
garymac is offline Find More Posts by garymac