SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:44 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
Joiner Boxes

The center panel to fuse alignment was done exactly like the previous planes and came out fine.

The prep for the next step involved waxing the joiners in case the resin migrated through the boxes. (it did) Taped off the joiner area to keep the overflow off the actual parts.

Glued the joiner boxes in the wings. Started by mixing laminating resin, a batch of 20 and 12 grams per pair. I packed in as much chopped carbon fiber as it would take, then added some microballoon/cabosil mix to minimize the flow, then mixed it in a pot of hot water to help kick it in my cold apartment and lower the viscosity for a short time while stuffing it in the pocket.

The box was inserted slowly to work out any air pockets and pack the volume completely. The excess was removed and the two parts were aligned on the table. It took a whole day to cure to satisfaction.

After it cured the excess mix was cut out from between the wings. It took a bit of persuading but the two halves ultimately came apart. Next the holes were drilled for the alignment pins and the pins were glued in.

Next step is to wet sand the wing LE. After that, cut the surfaces out and flex the hinge. The rudder and elevator are hooked op and working. An antenna tube was installed in case I want to use 72 mHz. If the plane was poly I could take it out and fly it right now.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:52 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Looking good Greg!

Glad to see you went with the dihedral in the center panel!

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:41 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
Spent the last of my freedom cutting out the flaps and ailerons. The aileron is long but the carbon skin seems stiff enough. My strategy is to place the RDS actuator as far out as possible given the thickness of the servo, as long as it is not at the 50% mark. The skin was super tough, especially where it was double 5.7 in the center section. Somehow I made one of the flaps 3/8" wider at the root than it should be. Probably won't notice it in the flying but still annoying.

RDS hardware is shipped and should be here any day. Started stripping down wire for the harness. Got the wing saddle filled and sanded. Getting very close.

Note the little trick inspired by Jack, keep the epoxy bottles in the laptop exhaust. It works.
Last edited by G Norsworthy; Jan 06, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Greg,

The blue color of the filler is very very kool
Wonder if we could reproduce this and leave the wings Wht/Blk and the fuse would be that wonderful blue?
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:04 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
That color is an artifact of the flash and my room lighting. It looks a lot more like smoggy sky in person, pale blue with a little brown. We could try to match it but I still like white over even yellow or red in most conditions.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
Good chance for maiden tomorrow. Will post yes or no but may be late.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:35 AM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
We are on for maiden tomorrow. Still missing details like hatch screws, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:27 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
Maiden flight today. Started with the CG a bit forward and it flew no problem but dropped a tip a bit in the turn. Got much better as I moved the CG back. It is still positive but not overly so. With the light, shorter tail I actually had to move the battery quite a bit back from the nose, even with the wing all the way forward in the saddle. Tracking was perfectly straight right off the board with no tendency to wander. Controls were very crisp for having low throws. Even empty I can see that the plane will be very fast. Landing was really easy. Launch in the end was straight and easy, with no tendency for the wing to blank out the T tail on the throw. Wing seems super stiff on the launch.

It still needs a lot more work but I can see the potential.

I'll fill in the details of the RDS and a few other odds and ends as I collect the photos.

Thanks to all the people who came out today for support to throw, photo, and work on the plane. Special thanks also to Joe Wurts, Mark Drela, and Philip Kolb who made this all possible.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,405 Posts
Congratulations, Greg! Yet another success.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
you are my scratch-build hero! it looks sweet! i cant wait to see it fly out in Cal Valley. great work to both you and Dom!
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Should be - Big brother of Pike
Looks like the bar has been raised another notch!
Let's say we bug him about the paint job - should it be "RED" I think it should be red - heh heh heh
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
It's not quite 4m either.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
It's not quite 4m either.
It does look fast. Same airfoils as the Pike?

what did the unballasted wieght come in at?
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,178 Posts
Different from Pike, but same general idea for the root to tip. I don't have a scale that big but it is light. The Supra was built to the weight limit and is way overkill as a result. This one is built to the task, no more and came out lighter. I'll try to get some numbers on it next chance I get. Still have a bit more work to do on it before I call it finished.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
Different from Pike, but same general idea for the root to tip. I don't have a scale that big but it is light. The Supra was built to the weight limit and is way overkill as a result. This one is built to the task, no more and came out lighter. I'll try to get some numbers on it next chance I get. Still have a bit more work to do on it before I call it finished.
ok. Looking forward to seeing #10 in action.

Bill reports good results from the redesigned 2x rudder on SS. I havent flown it yet with new rudder but we'll see if the tracking problem is solved with double area and more rudder mix on cruise (dont want to keep struggling with both thumbs in cruise)
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker