HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:37 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Question
Need help choosing my first Nitro Boat

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get myself a good boat which i can use in the sea. Since its my first boat i need help starting. I ve looked around a little and liked Kyosho Lamborghini C-1 Cat. But i am open for any suggestions. So feel free.

Thank You
Yigit
yigit is offline Find More Posts by yigit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Please, pass on that one! Fuel-resistant but not fuelproof plastic hull. Oversized or underpowered, take your pick. Steerable outdrives, never liked them. Quick fix trim tabs and turn fins, a decent Cat shouldn't need them.
When the former Radio Control Boat Modeler magazine did an article on it, the review was not exactly glowing on the boat and usually they tried to find something good to say about every one that they tested.
Open sea running can be hard to pick out a nice RTR boat as first, you're dealing with saltwater which is tough on any metal parts. The ever changing tides and waves make it so that you really do want a big boat.
I've got an idea that you're not in the USA so one thing to look for is one that you can get parts for if the need arises.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:25 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Hi ron, first of all thank you for the reply. C-1 Cat was actually suggested by a friend of mine. I would rather get a Deep-V instead of a catamaran. Also, I got the idea of open sea running when i saw a video of Kyosho SunStorm 1000 (which i really loved but its discontinued) on youtube. I know running on sea water causes rust and its not good for the boat like you said.

Anyways, I dont think i would get a boat bigger than 42'. but besides all that sea running stuff, which boat would you suggest me?

Btw i live in Long Island,NY
Old Jun 06, 2010, 02:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
Some friend!
I've seen a lot of people that run anywhere around the world in saltwater because that's the only place that they have.
OK, first things first. You say that you'd rather have a mono over a Cat anyway so we got that part out of the way. It looks like you might prefer nitro over gas or electric but maybe that was just your bud talking.
Look at how much you'd like to spend and if you already own some equipment that use for a boat, that can save you a few bucks.
What it will come down to like I tell all new boaters is that in the end, YOU have to be happy with your purchase, not me or your pal. We can only point you in some directions and give you the pro's and con's about what you're looking at.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 05:36 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
I already have an electric boat (SunStorm 600) but i would like to go a little bit meaner I ve looked around a little bit and i think i will spend around $300-350 for the first boat. There are so many brands out there and since i've started with Kyosho, i had TwinStorm 800 GP in mind. But honestly, i'd really like a boat that has a body similiar to SunStorm 1000. I also dont have any parts so i think i will look for a ready set.

Btw does it make a difference getting Nitro Boat instead of Gas, or are there any performance diffrences?
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:33 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
$300-350.00 is going to put you into a nitro boat, gas boats will run you double that if not a little more if we're talking new.
Gas boats generally require less support equipment if you do it right but nitro costs more and glow plugs need to be replaced more often than spark plugs. I own both types of boats and although both can be frustrating at times it's hard for me if I had to to pick just one.
In your neighborhood price-wise are two of the Pro Boat boats, the Shockwave 36 mono and the Thunder-Cat 31, both with the same powerplant and radio system. I think that you'd like one of these better than any Kyosho boat.
You have a 'glas hull instead of plastic, a larger engine and hull but still has the cheap Python AM radio system.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 01:30 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Thank you for the explanation Ron. You are actually right about kyoshos. I really liked Shockwave 36, but as you said the radio system is a little crappy. I think i will change the radio system as well. Any advice on that?
Last edited by yigit; Jun 07, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:56 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
I just don't like the Python's myself as the trim adjustments are hard to use, even worse if your fingers are wet or have fuel on them. For a few bucks more they should have used the JR XR-2i. The Python receivers aren't compatable with any other JR system either so you can't just replace the transmitter.
It would do for now but if the TX or RX take a dump then I'd replace the whole thing.
If you do decide on one of the Pro Boat boats then let me know and I'll give you a few tips on making it better for almost nothing.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:50 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Hi ron,

I think i might replace the whole thing at once and just get it over with. Can you give me some model numbers that can best for this boat. Btw I went to my local hobby store, he is bringing me a shockwave 36 on friday. Just wondering; If i wanted a smaller nitro boat, what would you recommend me?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:04 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
I had an AquaCraft Super-Vee 27. Like most RTR boats it had its bugs. A lot of the bolts were too tight which broke a few things. The prop nut was too tight also which broke the stock plastic prop but I don't use those anyway. My biggest complaint was the radio box as the plastic is really thin in the corners. I ended up by cutting the tabs off on the lid and then just securing it in place with good old #64 rubber bands.
Watch the Tower Hobbies site and you can get coupons once in a while to discount purchases over certain amounts. You can use those to help drop the price tag down some. Subscribing to their online newsletters will give you the discount code numbers.