HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Broken DUO

Hello everybody,

I received mine for days ago.I charged 8-10 lipolys 6s 5000mah with diferrent currents.Everythings seems to be good.

todays my duo suddenly broken.When i try charge battery with channel 2 charger shows "connection break" messages and i double check batterys,connectors,wires.I didnt find anything...

after seconds lcd display started to getting crazy.it started to show meaningless characters,numbers or smiles

I decide to open charger.İ didnt find burnt fets,blown capacitors or broken wires.But i found interesting things.

1 when i touched back of lcd or increasing of the tension on the some belt wires meaningless characters came on the lcd. my opinion due to capacitive works lcd became stupid.

2 when i touched gray resistor on the output side charger creaming with the long beep and dont stop.

Can the SkyRC explain the happenings or help me ? my charger goes bad time by time.

thanks
irmakp is offline Find More Posts by irmakp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
after seconds lcd display started to getting crazy.it started to show meaningless characters,numbers or smiles
I have seen this as well. Some times applying a little gentle pressure on the face of the charger just around the edge of the LCD fixes the display problem. This suggests the problem is not firmware going crazy but simply a poor contact somewhere.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:22 AM
Joined Oct 2008
42 Posts
just wondering.. I know that you were pushing the limits or close to the limits for this review... would i be having this problem when charging 2S 5000 mah lipos at 6000 mah or normal 1C?

Im looking for an affordable dual port charger

Thanks !
kpsxtyone is offline Find More Posts by kpsxtyone
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:15 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
In terms of its specifications the charger would have no problem charging a 2S pack at 6A. IMO the problems I experienced were not specifically related to the charging rates I was using but to design, build or QA issues.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:19 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Mine is still going strong (over two months now).
Is it possible that importers who rebrand these units do some QC of their own?
I've bought mine in Austria branded as DUO-POWER 6LI.
mongo56 is offline Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:12 AM
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hi Kgfly,
I am looking at getting one of these. I will be using it soley to charge 6s 5000 lipos. I am hoping to charge at about 7.5A per side (15A in total). Have you any update on how you think this charger will cope with this task? They are fairly decent lipo packs (nano-tech).
Cheers, Paul.
chubbylove is offline Find More Posts by chubbylove
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:33 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
To charge a 6S lipo at 7.5A requires about 180W charger output power. From a specification point of view this charger should be able to deliver that on both ports so long as you have a suitable power supply (at least 15V/30A, 450W).

As you know from this review, my experience with this charger was not good. Hence in your situation my choice would be a more powerful/accurate single-port charger (eg FMA PL8 or iCharger 306B or 3010B) and charge them in parallel at 15A-20A. If you want the flexibility of two ports then get two 6S,10A/200W chargers with better features, UI and accuracy (eg iCharger 106B+, 206B or 208B or Hyp 720i) or if you really want a DUO-style the get the Hyperion 0615iDUO3.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hi Kgfly,
thank you for the information.. i have looked the Hyperion 0615iDUO3 up, looks good, spec looks bang on. I think this will be my choice. Cheers for your guidence.
Paul
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
You will need a 15V/32+A supply at a minimum to run the Hyp 615iDUO3 at its full rated output (2 x 180W = 360W) and 24V/20+A is recommended.

Make sure to include that in your budget.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hello Kgfly,
yeah, nothing is cheap - I should have gone in deep to start with. I am looking at the power supply - PS600ADJ Fusion 600W Adjustable 40A Power Supply

600W adjustable 40A power supply.

•AC input :220~240V
•Adjustable Output
•5~15V Adjustable Voltage Output
•0~40A Adjustable Amp Output
•LCD Screen, showing Amps/Volts
•4mm banana sockets
•Max.600 Watt

I think I should just about get the full whack out of the charger using this.

Whilst looking up the power supply I saw this.... Fusion L702BP Emperor Pro DC Charger £179 - big bucks....

I am going to stop looking now - otherwise I will never take the plunge.
Still winter is here now..... Very cold, wet, rainy, windy, dark, miserable. Still its only like that until march - by then hopefully I will have eveyting in place and a big new trex 600 flybarless with big batteries (beautifly charged on my new charger).

Thanks again for the info.

Paul.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
That PS will do the job for the 615iDUO3 but the voltage is too low for most 300+W chargers which typically need in the 18-24 range. I mention it only so you won't buy it thinking "this will do me for now and be good for whatever I need in the future". For example you could not run the Fusion L720B DUO charger (2 x 7S,20A/300W) full bore using that Fusion PS.

If you are not in a great hurry I would wait a few months. The charger and PS market is moving very fast. There is a new Hyperion DUO out soon, the 720iSDUO3 (2 x 7S,20A/500W) which needs a 24V/55+A supply to deliver its full oomph. There is a rumour of a new Junsi/iCharger DUO-style unit as well.

There are some 30V/30+A 900+W supplies out there if you look around. Some are raw SMPS that you have to wire up and others are proper bench supplies in cases, with displays and terminals.

Demand from the RC world for 18-24V/1000+W PS is very new but growing quickly. I think we will see more supplies appearing in the next six months.

Finally, there are some good threads here on RCG on how to use low-cost server PS if you are electrically handy.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
Joined Mar 2009
266 Posts
Hey guys,

We're having a one-day sale on this B6 Duo charger.

All sale orders receive FREE shipping on the entire order (lower 48 states).

Click below to check it out:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph..._deal_day.html

Cheers!
CSRC Tech Crew is online now Find More Posts by CSRC Tech Crew
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:06 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Just bought one of these myself, and it arrived a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, just studying how to use it and checking it over.

So in this cheking over I noticed something that looked odd, and then I saw why. It's the face plate on the panel with the connection jacks and ports.
It's put on upside down, which prevents plugging in to the USB power output and the balance ports. I don't know whether to call Hobby Lobby and see about a replacement, or just try to remove it and glue it back on. Im sure thats possible but I know there's a strong chance of bending it up in the attempt to remove it. So I think I'll give them a call and see what they say.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Last edited by SabreHawk; Dec 09, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Ok so Hobby Lobby replaced the unit for me(thanks Beth in HL support)
I just now have recieved the replacement, and this time the faceplate is correctly right side up.
So now to get down to the business of learning to use it. This is my first charger of the type, and must admit it'll take to thorough study of the manual to grasp it's many features. I've only used a polycharge4 up to now, and before that just a simple Eflite Celectra before that(no displays on either one)
To me the manual seems somewhat vauge and un-detailed. Im one who likes to know the why of things, and lots of detail so it seems lacking in that. Plus the usual poor choice of words is present in some places. So this will take some reading between the lines. Adn I probably ought to have somone familiar with Imax chargers walk me through the first few uses.

Anyway, glad to finally have it in my hands and also I have the eFuel 20a PS also from HL. Yes I know it'd be better to have the 30a one but HL didn't have but this one availible. But the largest battery I have to charge is a 3S 3000mah so I should be fine.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well already im getting the scrambled display on ch1, ch2 is just fine. Nothing but nothing has reset the ch1 to behave normal. Cycling power, pressing here, there anywhere doesn't fix it.

So now it's alread on the first day just a solo, not a duo.

Oh well geuss this one's going back too. This time for a refund I geuss and it's back the trusty polycharge4. Should have known to stick with simplicity and avoid the fancy.