Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Nick she flies so effortlessly! Stable no wing rock I saw. I may have asked before, about where is the cg? I still think my fav is the polar stuntcat though!
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
47 Posts
Powering up

Long time no news from our system. Here's a little video of the power test of our EDF. Should be enough power...

Ca va chier dans le ventilo! (0 min 38 sec)
Sirglider is offline Find More Posts by Sirglider
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:17 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Interesting read... an article I ran across from the Russian edition of Popular Mechanics, April 2008
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Hey Nick, flew my best model so far, no tip stall. Was filming with my blackberry in my right hand so I was hands off one foot off the ground right across the field quite a few times. Zoom refused to work, too small to see much. Can't upload on my iPad, I'll try uploading later on my laptop.

Basically same concept but with 41" wingspan 30 degree delta out side of twin pontoons with center wing section and big (24" span) 74 degree swept strakes at lower incidence than delta wing. Creates camber where it joins the wing. Set up so strakes make very little lift untill pitch or AOA is increased.

Seamless IGE OGE transition, stayed IGE for most runs, climbed out a couple of times.

I'll continue flying it to see if she is consistent.

Regds

Armour.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:13 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,650 Posts
Armour, what you need is one of these cameras and some velcro on your hat. Perhaps you've already seen Tom Frank's excellent thread about these cameras. This is the thread for the #11 camera, the latest one is #16 and I think he has another thread for that - couldn't find it this morning.

The cameras take a long time to arrive in the UK but they're worth the wait. Anyway, post a picture of your plane.

Congrats on your success.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Well the fiddler that I am I messed with the tail and now it touches ground every now and then, a bit of phugoid. I also noticed that my hinges are moving an throwing off the trim so i am putting in hinges instead of using just tape.
It flies nice OGE.
It's ugly and patched up soo many times I can't wait to build a proper one.
Thanks I'll look into that camera.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Nick today I chopped off my tail and mounted canards and she flew beautifully. The same pseudo bixel but with a 33 degree delta(chopped off the strakes too-all in the name of science) but on take off for my IGE run the motor broke off. At 530 tomorrow morning I hope to try again.

I like how she flies, nose doesn't drop in turns, that's a first for me, and the glide was pretty good for a low AR wing.

Question, must I have 'hands off' stability IGE, or easy control with smooth IGE/OGE transition enough of a design goal?

Cheers my friend and to everyone else.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:29 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,650 Posts
For me
Quote:
easy control with smooth IGE/OGE transition enough of a design goal.
every time. But I'm not a WIG purist by any means.

Good luck at 5.30am! I hope the eyeballs are working at that time.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Tried IGE but got a wicked phugoid, I'm trying larger canards with more incidence before I put back on the tail.

Another experiment will be the windward bevel but with a tail this time. All my tailess so far did the phugoid. Flying along nicely a foot off the ground and just does a hop or 3 with a hard touchdown thrown in.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Hey larger canards with more incidence worked! It was windy and difficult my mom and brother first time filming so as usual I missed the few good IGE runs. When trimmed for a slight descent IGE and I got her settled with 5 feet off the ground, hands off she descended and pitched up hands off to maintain a bit less than half span IGE. I need more testing to be conclusive, but the close coupled canard worked better than the tail. Glide OGE was much better than with the tail. CG had to be 1" farther forward.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Nick

Had a good run today. No canard no H tail, much too nose heavy and she still worked. OGE with full up trim I was running out of up trim. Then I tried IGE and she flew OGE. I reduced to roughly halfway between full up and neutral trim and wow, she stayed IGE right across the field! I think I have met my goal of a design that pitches up IGE and pitches down OGE.

Next test will be with a proper cg and then payload to test flight characterestics at high wing loading. Hopefully I'll get some video as well.

Cheers to all

Armour.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
qxev is offline Find More Posts by qxev
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
Nice, what's this?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
767 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipdk9...re=context-cha

sorry about the poor quality, my mom's first try with the ipad.

the first part is hands off but she is flying in a torque left bank then i pulled her up to check the stall. only after i cut the power did she drop her nose. looks like she ran out of elevator before she stalled.

i moved the cg back and realised that although still to nose heavy for OGE she was a bit too tail heavy for IGE
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
short question in between: did the a90 orlyonok have wheels for movement on concrete? I guess so!? Does anyone have a pic or something?
sfluck is online now Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...