HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Hi Folks - Please could you help me with another video search?

This time I am looking for a video that I saw about 3 months ago the Korean HoverWing WSH-500 in the harbour that was taken by some tourists. This is not the video of the craft ‘taking off’ – but it is simply filming the craft while it is moored. I think the tourists can be heard saying something likef ‘I wonder what it its’.
From memory it is not on YouTube but on some other channel like Dorm TV - but I cannot find it.
Anyone remember seeing it?

Many thanks
Graham
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
i wish i had seen it, hope it doesn't become another failed WIG.
the wings may be too close to the water and not able to produce lift until the hulls rise over the hump and lift the wings higher.
not many airfoils can manage that high differential press from being so close to the surface.
looks heavy with pontoons so far apart

my first model was similar to urs but stayed stuck to the ground until i moved the Cg back, it then was uncontrollable after lift off. it probably needed a large step to be able to rotate.
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzyWigXGE View Post
Hi Folks - Please could you help me with another video search?

This time I am looking for a video that I saw about 3 months ago the Korean HoverWing WSH-500 in the harbour that was taken by some tourists. This is not the video of the craft ‘taking off’ – but it is simply filming the craft while it is moored. I think the tourists can be heard saying something likef ‘I wonder what it its’.
From memory it is not on YouTube but on some other channel like Dorm TV - but I cannot find it.
Anyone remember seeing it?

Many thanks
Graham
is it this one? : http://media.daum.net/economic/other...24311156&p=mbn

or perhaps this one: http://news.kbs.co.kr/society/2011/10/19/2374570.html
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Wow! How did you search for those? On my screen they come up in Korean (or something like that).

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Derk
Many thanks for finding these - neither are the video that I remember (it was not a news reel video) but this is good stuff all the same.

regards
Graham
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
Old May 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Armour!

You were wondering about my different experiments with swept wing planes. This is what I've been up to since last week. It's made from the wings of a small flying wing that has given me a lot of fun over the last couple of years. The motors, pylons and the fuse all come from my failed attempt to build a scale model of the Flightship.

I've had a couple of very successful flights, but the weather has been terrible - rain and strong winds, it was 38mph on Sunday.

Quite a few unsuccessful flights before I got the thrust line, incidence lines and the CoG right. Length is 900mm, ws is 850. All the controls are at the tail, elevator and rudders in the prop wash. Those canards are static.

You'd have had a laugh today... after all that rain we have several fields under water, but today was sunny though still windy. I couldn't resist an experiment on the water. However the wind got underneath and turned it over. So, you could have seen me with my socks and shoes off, and my trousers rolled up to recover it.

Old May 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
They are linked to the wsh-500 English news page
follow enough links and you end up there. I use Google chrome as it has a built in translator.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 01, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
Nick that is exactly the direction I'm thinking of for a WIG, except maybe close coupled canard for 'slot' effect on wing root and less vulnerability in rough seas and docking.

After you have her all trimmed out nicely, pls let me know if she stays IGE hands off!
Old May 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Armour.. I've been looking back at this drawing you did on post #929

I didn't copy you, honest!

With the bad weather we've had I can't be sure about GE. She flies well but I haven't yet seen anything to convince me that it's possible to build a plane that will fly well, both in and out of ground effect. It's the old story ... "get your mission sorted out before you design the plane."

Maybe gyros to control the pitch could do it?? Even then, I'd be adjusting the elevator panels to correct for an incorrect CoG position... either too far forward IGE or too far back OGE.

Perhaps a sweeping canard, like the Beech Starship. But use the gyro to keep things stable by sweeping forward as the plane pitches down and back as it pitches up. The trouble with canards close to the ground is that they're not very ding-proof. I must have repaired mine half a dozen times already. Have to retain the whole structure with rubber bands.

hmmm. Funny, when you start by saying the whole thing's impossible, then ideas start to come.

Old May 01, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
The front being so wide becomes in itself a wing and the high pressure air is escaping towards the upper low pressure to form a vortex. With a sharply swept LE the vortex is tighter, essentially non expanding, but the straight wingtip creates a vortex that expands at is it moves rearward. The positive is that the air hitting the outer wings has a relatively strong up flow that increases lift and tilts the lift vector forward, or less aft, which reduces drag.
When you mount a canard far forward it induces a downwash that cancels some of that beneficial upwash.
In XGE the flow wants to separate from the wing so a close coupled canard helps there with the 'slot' effect which because of the span wise flow affects most of the wing to some degree.
That being said it may be better without the canard as the flow separation in XGE is what may shift the Cp forward to counteract the aft movement of the Cp caused by GE.
Another option is to mount the wings as u have them about 1/3 back and sweep them forward.
Advantages are wingtip pontoons will be closer to Cg, more wave/ground clearance in turns and natural resistance to tip stall.
The disadvantage is Cg more forward which means more hull in water behind Cg which gives longer TO roll due to more hydrodynamic drag.

Notice the BE 103 has slots farther outboard which may cause the wing to act like a forward swept wing(just thought of that) in that the inboard section looses lift before outboard and hence reducing tip stall tendency as well as better flow over ailerons.

IMHO...
Old May 01, 2012, 03:01 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
hmmm I'll be interested to see if you can make one that flies both IGE and XGE.

How do pelicans do it? I bet it's to do with moving their wings forward and back in relation to their CoG.

Old May 01, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
Pelicans can make instantaneous corrections so they don't have a problem, maybe a gyro would do the same on a model

I have a strong feeling that ur 900 x 850 would do it! Wouldn't b surprised if the polar stuntcat and even maybe the Polaris would do it.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
When I watch pelicans they seem to be very aware of their height as i see the wingtips almost touching the water even over choppy water while making constant tiny correction. So I guess as they gain height they would shift their wings back to compensate.

With us though we need our model to compensate hands off wether with aerodynamics or electronics or both.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,581 Posts
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old May 03, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
You'd have had a laugh today... after all that rain we have several fields under water, but today was sunny though still windy. I couldn't resist an experiment on the water. However the wind got underneath and turned it over. So, you could have seen me with my socks and shoes off, and my trousers rolled up to recover it

nick pls tell me a little more about "wind got underneath". was it before or after take off? how soon after take off?