HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
nick see how comfortable the stuntcat seems IGE...

RC STUNTCAT CRASH! (1 min 53 sec)
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
...if u do test urs IGE, maybe you could try adding payload on your cg to test different wing loadings.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,473 Posts
Great to see your Stuntcat in action Armour.

It's a terrific plane isn't it? Specially when you consider it's only controlled by a pair of elevons, not in the prop wash. For high alpha I always consider a rudder to be essential, but that plane manages pretty well without. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a pair of fins and rudders just on either side of the prop.

Mine is currently on the back shelf. I've stolen the motor and servos for something else.
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
sorry not mine, found vid on the net.
i was waiting to see how urs performs IGE before i built mine.
i think it may b the platform im looking for. i like the fact that it looks like a boat!
its important to know how she handles a higher wing loading.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,473 Posts
Well, she's a lovely plane with the Polaris style pylon and tail feathers. Fast, slow, high alpha, all terrain. But, as you can see from this video I never really made much effort in Ground Effect. Problem is the field I use for exercising my dog ... all those bumps and dips have an effect on windy days even as high as 50ft above the ground, I reckon.
Polar Stuntcat (4 min 27 sec)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
i think any swept wing may do the same thing.
are any of ur polaris ready to fly?
trim for a very slight descent, just shy of level, then do a take off. as soon as she's is airborne reduce to cruise power and hands off the elevator and see what happens
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
Hi Folks

I wondered if anyone can help me track down a video of seabirds flying in ground effect that I need for a presentation?

I have seen sometime within the last year (youtube perhaps) but do not appear to have kept a copy for myself.

From memory the film shows some large seabirds – about 4 pelicans I think. They are cruising very low just behind the surf zone of a bit of coast – travelling from right to left in the film.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Any help gratefully accepted as I have already spent some 5 hours trawling through my vid collection and the net without success – that time would have been better spent finishing my new experimental model ! (– more on that to follow).

Cheers

Graham
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,473 Posts
How about this one..
Surfing Birds (0 min 47 sec)

or this one..
"Surfing" Pelicans (0 min 52 sec)

or this..
Sea Movies - Planning Pelicans (1 min 29 sec)

I was searching for "pelicans in ground effect". It looks as if "surfing pelicans" would do it best.

good eh?

Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
A great big thanks from me! Yes exactly what I was looking for. You have saved my sanity.
Before I wrote out I wasted hours on internet searches trying “seabirds flying low” and similar without any success...... ah the trick is in choosing the right key search words.

So today I read right through this discussion group from the very beginning to see if these videos came up somewhere – all 60+ pages of it. And wow what a fine body of knowledge is contained wherein. I found stuff I missed and even a few bits that were completely new to me. I recommend all reader have a trawl through the past pages – it is amazing what has been covered and uncovered.

Cheers
Graham
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
check this bird with no wings, probably creates tons of GE

Wingless Wonders (3 min 2 sec)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,072 Posts
looks like cgs too far forward and a large heavy battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captarmour View Post
another view of 'tip stalling' as soon as she lifts off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74yv...5fAUAAAAAAAAAA
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
thanks david

because of its strong high alpha pitch up tendency OGE any time it slows down she would pull up into high alpha. in a glide test she would pull up into a stall so thats why it needed such a far forward cg. on landing once powers is cut she would drop out of the sky normally with a wing drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iWEp...feature=relmfu

however that model is no more. the one after this had the cg much farther back. it also had the wings closer to the groundand a thicker thickess ratio. im afraid it was worse, it would just veer off to one side or the other and then flip over.

so im incorporating all the ideas i can in the next one. im thinking of sweeping outer wings forward but one reason i like the swept back wings is to have the np as far back as possible so on water it will plane like a speed boat with just aft part of hull in water.
the advantage of swept forward outer wing is that in a bank i get more 'ground' clearance, wingtip pontoons farther forward and closer to cg, and less tendency to tip stall.

btw this design like a bixel, is more of a low flying airplane than a true wig.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
Parboat project

As promised, I share with you a couple of sketches of my latest project - when I get some time I’ll post some pictures of the actual model under construction.

Regards

Graham
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
Very nice!

I'm not sure if the name suggest that it will actually leave the water like a WIG? If so will it be stable OGE? Earlier in this forum the general idea was that a WIG would be safer if it were stable OGE.
Is the canard movable?

If I may, the PAR engines look like they may be subject to water ingestion/erosion. same for the canard.

With pontoons so far apart the wing may have to be very strong(heavy) to handle the water loads.

Cheers,

Armour.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
Armour
All very good questions. The canard is also a hydroplane as per my whizzywigs, to keep the water out of the fans. As for the other points - I am only aiming for PAR/XGE.
Graham