SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
515 Posts
@bigjohn, you might want to check the files folder of the yahoo wig group, a file about this wig has been uploaded the other day. I didn't read it completely, but there's something about the design and the test phase is described.
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG View Post
Congratulations!

I do not recommend this canard design, because it's naturally unstable/semi-stable. Kaien is a computer stabilized WIG, equipped with numerous sensors, and it's still hard to fly according to its designer/builders.

Gabriel
I have read the Akimoto paper from the Yahoo group. It does not say the model was computer stabilized, and in fact was easy to fly:

"The purpose of constructing a large model is to reduce the above-mentioned difficulties in piloting. As a consequence, even an inexperienced graduate student can control our model due to the slow flight speed and large size of the model."

Gabriel, do you have another source of info that supports what you said? Not trying to embarrass you, just would like to get as much info as possible.
bigjohn is offline Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,575 Posts
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:24 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I have read the Akimoto paper from the Yahoo group. It does not say the model was computer stabilized, and in fact was easy to fly:

"The purpose of constructing a large model is to reduce the above-mentioned difficulties in piloting. As a consequence, even an inexperienced graduate student can control our model due to the slow flight speed and large size of the model."

Gabriel, do you have another source of info that supports what you said? Not trying to embarrass you, just would like to get as much info as possible.
Sorry I was wrong. It used sensors to check height and pitch,but it wasn't computer stabilized. However they want to build one in the future.
First two comment.

"Usually remote operation of a flying model is usually not easy." Description.

Stability of a canard WIG was discussed in this topic. Canard design itself
provide significantly less (or no) self stabilization in ground effect unlike the general high, lifting tail configuration. It means that you have to control its flight all the time.

Gabriel
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:45 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
478 Posts
Rice Bro's "Drag n Fly" WIG fro sale in Australia

Hiya guys,
I'm not sure how often these come up for sale these days, but I noticed this ad for the above in our local RcTrader listing. I thought someone here may be interested :-)

http://www.rctrader.com/category/345...trol-Boat.html

PS - I am not connected to the vendor, I'm just doing a community service to WIG nuts!
Cheers,
Matt
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
Česká republika, Ústecký, Lipová
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
Hello all
This weekend i finaly had time to make some tests on my beloved\hated Orljonok.
The on my local frozen lake was 10cm thick, so i tryed.

It flyes IGE, OGE.
Stability is very good, takeof on snow 1.5 meter. I´m happy.
Orljonok in air looks realy cool. Minimum flyghtheigt is about 2 - 5 cm, maximum about 5 meters ( that height was unvanted ). I´m steering gas and direction. And angle of the motors, but only on ground!! No gyros, nothing. Again, the stability is avesome

I´m planning to add the elevator controls for landings - now they are somethimes very hard (one landing broke the front motor mount), and ailerons for OGE flyght. It will be better to have control over roll axis. . . .

I have 1:30 video with 3 passes. And some more pictures. I will upload it tomorow. At home my internet connection is very bad .
Pedrc is online now Find More Posts by Pedrc
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Congratulations! It looks awesome!

I can't wait for the video!

Gabriel
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
flying since 2000
Joined Mar 2009
515 Posts
That looks very cool indeed! I am too looking forward to the video!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
It looks very cool , also it proves the point we made earlier in this topic, it is much safer to fly a WIG which is also capable to fly OGE, and has the controlls to do it.

Great work, could you make some closer pictures of the model itself?

Greetingz from Kenya,

Marijn
hoverman is offline Find More Posts by hoverman
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
It looks really stable. It looks like the real one

Gabriel
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
I forgot to mention that the damage on the motor mount and the destroyed sponson was one hour later repaired. At Saturday I try to add the elvator controlls - whem I got some spare time . . .

To Hoverman: I can take some closer pictures, but from close the model is realy ugly.
Now it´s time for some edging and colors.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Awesome A90

Pedrc. Congratulations on your model. It is splendid. It puts us all to shame.
Truly just likethe real thing!

Regards

Graham
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
Thanks

Thank you all

I worked on Orljnojok about 6 years! This is the 4th version. I´ve read this whole topic. It contains plenty of very intersting informations.
So thanks to all

On the weekend i try to add the missing controlls.
And then make some tests. I´m curious what is the Orljonoks maximum flyght height . . .

Hope I don´t destroy it
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:47 AM
flying since 2000
Joined Mar 2009
515 Posts
Wow this A90 is fantastic! Watching this video makes me want to build something similar

So it is march now, I read an article where it is said that the WSH-500 is going into service in March. Last thing I heard about Wingship was when they signed a contract with DSME for working together on a mooring system for the Wigs and apparently they want to cooperate in designing a 200 seat military wig. *
If anyone hears about something like "wsh-500 going in service" or something else interesting, please tell!

* source: (http://job.dsme.co.kr/epub/images/co...595_resize.pdf)
RCG Plus Member