HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
I did search the net for more info about this craft with no success.

I found only this: http://books.google.hu/books?id=OGUE...page&q&f=false

Gabriel
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:11 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
@ DT65 :
I get that the flat airfoil CP travel is what makes the Bixel Wig superiour, but that is not what I meant

I meant, I wonder if a symmetrical profiles like these below behave the same, or that you really need a flat plate to get this reversed CP travel:

Would be interesting to test around with!

Anyway, just passed my flight exam for a Multi Engine Instrument Rating , giving me spare time to focus on the Bixel again, so I made this rough sketch this afternoon:

It is a rather crude design, but it should be a simple build. The wings are all flat, the trailing edges blunt, de stabiliser is Clark Y.
Decided to use two motors instead of one, which reduces the necessary prop size, so you don't have to position you're propulsion unit so high above the model(which creates less of a downward moment).

It doesn't have a Take off aid(Yet?)

Greetz!

Marijn
hoverman is online now Find More Posts by hoverman
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,687 Posts
Congrats on the ME Instrument ticket!

I know the feeling, though it was almost 40 years ago for me.

I think you'll find that second engine to be quite a comfort at times!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
@ DT65 :

Anyway, just passed my flight exam for a Multi Engine Instrument Rating , giving me spare time to focus on the Bixel again, so I made this rough sketch this afternoon:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...lot/img074.jpg

Marijn
Congratulations on your success!

And nice sketch! It makes me think of my bixel design
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
I finished the Green Monster and I did the first ground test. Unfortunately high winds ruind the first test flight and i had problems with the controls on the ground. I tend to oversteer it, but some expo and EPA will solve this problem.
GM is sliding on its belly, and on its sideplates. Sometimes one of the sideplates pushed harder to the ground than the other and it is also makes the craft spin. I don't want to put wheels on it, perhaps I try different coating for better sliding.

Gabriel
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:53 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Thanks Guy's!

I haven't had a Réal engine failure yet, however on my last training flight I convinced my instructor to do a simulated double engine failure. At FL040 we were overhead the airfield and got permission to do a training emergency landing.
So we pulled both the throttles to idle, and did the memory items for both the engines, and went to our Vy for both engines out(82 knots). I did my IFR training on a Diamond DA42, which is in some ways a glider with two engines. so..at 82 knots we got a vertical speed of 300-400 ft/min, nothing more! After several minutes we finally had lost 1500 feet, hit a small thermal and our vertical speed went to 0 haha

We finished the exercise with flaps & gear down to speed up the descent haha

I love flying!

This is one of the twins:

Anyway... I found a lot of pictures of Bixel models, but also of the full scale craft we talked about in the beginning! Not all the pictures are great, but still

I found them at the yahoo Wig group, my guess is that they don't mind me sharing them here, otherwise I'll remove them ofcourse:

And some pictures of some of the cool models Graham Taylor has build..however I don't know if he managed to get it flying:

And with a small hydrofoil:

And a very well treated Aircat

So..that's that for now, I started building a RC Lippish wig this morning and I'm painting it at the moment, I'll post some pictures lateron.

Cheers,

Marijn
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the photos! I looked for them everywhere (except in groups )
What is the URL of this WIG group? Is it a closed group?

First test flight, and perhaps the last flight of the Green Monster was done.
It has serious stability issues (on all axis ). I had bad "landings", despite the fact that it didn't really be airborne... It's an unsuccessful attempt... I go back to the drawing board...

Gabriel
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:58 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
That's a shame, are you going to give it another try? Maybe it's easier to first try your new design with small non RC models, they are very quick builds.

This is my Lippisch model I'm painting at the moment, build in just one day without an actual plan haha. The wings and centrepart of the hull are made of tempex(Styrodur), cut with a hot wire. De fuselage sideplates, rudders, winglets and sponsons are made of 3mm Triplex.
It uses exactly the same profiles, angles and proportions as the Non RC Lippisch model I build last week.

About the Wig Group, it can be found at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wig/

It is closed, but joining the group is free

Greetz,

Marijn
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Hi Marijn!

Great looking Lippisch WIG! What kind of paint did you use on the foam?

After the unsuccessful test flight of the GM1 I considered other configurations. Thanks to you I was very curious about Bixel WIG design. So I draw this in CAD:

Today I built its half size glider version. As you sad it's unbelievably stable. I couldn't try it on the street , just inside the house, but the first results are good. I have never seen a WIG glider which don't want to flip over

Gabriel
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Nice, great that you got the same results! Dit you try several CG positions or stabiliser angles?

Looking forward to your RC model, will update you on the progress of the Lippisch too.

Marijn
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
Nice, great that you got the same results! Dit you try several CG positions or stabiliser angles?

Looking forward to your RC model, will update you on the progress of the Lippisch too.

Marijn
Stabilizer was fixed, but I tried several cg positions. Shifting CG forward or backward changed the angle of attack and slightly the ground clearance, but nothing more. As you experienced, only extreme backward shifted CG positions could make the craft to leave the ground effect zone, but it won't flip over.

I started to build the RC version today and I think I could finish it tomorrow It has 500 mm wing spam, and it's 790 mm long. Wing area is 29 dm^2, it will be about 550 g. It will have only rudder control. I post photos tomorrow.

Looking forward to your Lippisch model too! And please make a video of its flight! You have many WIGs, but I saw only one video of them (about the red one).

Gabriel

edit:

Completed craft:
Just waiting for good weather.

Last edited by RdsG; Jun 23, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Hey Gabriel,

Looks great! Should work just fine, looking forward to some videos.

And you're right, I'll try to make a video of the Lippisch model before I crash it. Most of the times I'm alone when testing these models, therefore I hardly have any vids

Marijn
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:48 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
Hoverman, how do you hotwire wings with such a large sweep like that? i tried cutting a tapered wing and completely messed it up. would sure beat cutting them with razors and sandpaper
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
I tried out the GM2 and it went well. Very fast and very stable. The only problem was that i forgot to compensate the torque effect of the prop/motor, so the left side of the craft tend to skim the surface. After I cut of the throttle it glides smoothly.

Green Monster 2 ekranoplan test flight 1 (0 min 19 sec)

We try to make better videos, perhaps an onboard camera will be better.

Gabriel
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:39 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
Hoverman, how do you hotwire wings with such a large sweep like that? i tried cutting a tapered wing and completely messed it up. would sure beat cutting them with razors and sandpaper
Well, there isn't really a trick, it just takes some pactise Adjust your hotwire like that, that it is just hot enough to cut the foam, but it is actually a bit to cold. This also gives this result that you get millions of these small "melt hairs" and you need quite some time and force to pull the wire through the foam. Than it is just a matter of slowly pulling the wire through the foam, at the end with the small profile you pull it slowly, at the other end you pull it as fast as you can without breaking the wire

And, I advise you to always start out at the leading edge, that one is easier to mess up.

And Gabriel, nice to see the Vid, it seems to work just fine for now! It is hard to see the actual ground effect flying on concrete, but reaching those speeds without flipping tells enough

Marijn