HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:05 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Hmm, maybe you can build a model like the first model of Graham Taylor, it worked just fine. I build one too a long time ago andd I had the same results(and no rolling moments)

(all the photos are from his site)
You can find my model in the row:

Greetz

Marijn
hoverman is offline Find More Posts by hoverman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Hi

In the mean time I built an other model :P I didn't mentioned I crashed the Flatwing last week (A car turned in to our street while the model was still on the asphalt. I wanted taxi it to the grass as fast as I could. Unfortunately it was to fast, and I broke of the motor mount)

This last model didn't worked, but as I said it's movable motor mount worked great. It could turn around very quickly without forward movement.

So I made one craft from these two. It has the Flatwing's wings, stabilizer, the movable motor mount and a new "Ferry like fuse" :P It means it has a front "ferry-door like thing" and a wide (wider) fuse. And why? I just alwys wanted to build a ferry like WIG

I will post photos.

Gabriel
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
photos:

(found this blue self adhesive wallpaper so my models will be at least partly blue )
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:36 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Haha looks fun, planning to transport cargo in the future?

BTW, blue looks nice on Lippisch crafts haha

Marijn
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
Haha looks fun, planning to transport cargo in the future?

BTW, blue looks nice on Lippisch crafts haha

Marijn
Actually I want to build a cargo WIG model in the future . I just need an aim. For example transport a can of cola or something like that.

Gabriel
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Jul 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG View Post
Actually I want to build a cargo WIG model in the future . I just need an aim. For example transport a can of cola or something like that.

Gabriel
mmm ...

in that case it would be best type of wig that has the wing against the ground as much as possible so that there is enough momentum and a more stable air mattress.

bixel with perhaps a central part with a skirt like the hovercraft.

ps: I did the first test engine on my wig, is a mixture of bixel and aircart because I dont have a very coarse surface water (as much municipal swimming pool) the engine has enough power, I only need to place the address, maybe an elevator and final finishes.

Tomorrow I'll try to upload a photo of a fast assembly and Improvising

the wig have a wingspan of 90 cm and a length of 80 cm

jorge.
jjjasesino is offline Find More Posts by jjjasesino
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:03 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
in that case it would be best type of wig that has the wing against the ground as much as possible so that there is enough momentum and a more stable air mattress.
I think a low wing is not a good idea for a cargo WIG since the cargo (which would be the heaviest thing on board) will be above the the wing. I guess this configuration would very unstable.

On the other hand a slow model would be better since mass and speed isn't a good combination. So I imagine a Lippisch-type WIG with a high or mid wing.
Like the planned FS40 Dragon Clipper. It's the big brother of the FS8.
It would be 30 m long and 25 m wide. Max. weight 20,9 tons with 5 tons of cargo, which would be passengers and/or aviation freight containers.

I am looking forward to see your model.

News:
There is an Hungarian article about that Russians want to restart the Ekranoplan project. In 2007 the minister of defense bring up the idea to restart the military ekranoplan program. According to leaked news they started to do researches and they want to build the first ekranoplan in 2012.
The commission is given to Alexeiev Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau.

I hope these news are true

Gabriel
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
50 Posts
el timon de cola me parece un poco endeble y supongo que el colocare alguna varilla de refuerzo o lo sustituire por una lamina mas gruesa de poliestireno.

ekranoplanos on, I read that after the nuclear submarine accident not long ago, the Russians raised the ax with spasatel deploy.

I dont know more.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:45 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
After the Kursk, then the Akula craft which ran into an emergency situation, they said they would speed up the development of the Spasatel. However, these reports stated that testing would start about three years ago, but as far as I know it is still standing on its dock inside the hangar at Nizhny Novgorod. They placed the wings and stabilisers ontop of the hull to ease transportation.

As far as I know, the engines actually have been fitted a long time ago, but it still lacks a cockpit and flight controlls. The overal craft itself is finished though. I doupt it will ever be finished, it's just a very expensive machine, and nomatter how much I like the craft, I don't think it is as usefull as it seems to be.

The same is for the Lun craft. In the earlier times of the Soviet Union, the ekranoplans offered the advantage of beeing very hard to detect on surface radar, and also offering a very large range. Now in 2010, bombers are able to cross half the planet non stop, and vehicles like a combat Ekranoplan are easy to detect and very easy targets for small Jet fighters. They don't have the agility as other airplanes, and they don't have the defence as a battle cruiser.

Still, it would be great to see these crafts beeing developed again

BTW, the aircat looks like it's fun, don't you need a stabiliser to prevent it from flying out of GE too easily? A photo or video of it flying would be cool ofcourse!

@ Gabriel, where did you find that large threeview drawing of the Clipper?

Marijn
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:10 AM
Joined Jul 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman View Post
BTW, the aircat looks like it's fun, don't you need a stabiliser to prevent it from flying out of GE too easily? A photo or video of it flying would be cool ofcourse!
Marijn
I have a problem, in Spain we are in summer and it's quite windy during the day, the only time that no wind is in addition to the 11 pm or so, not if the light of the lamps is sufficient to levy a video .
Old Aug 07, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
@jorge: Nice Bixel! How is it working?

@Marijn: I found it in this book (WIG.pdf): http://www.wuala.com/groundeffect/Do...egész%20könyv/

I flown with the "improved" Flatwing. It flies, but without any reason, it tends to skim. And it could easy lead to crash, or hard touch down. And its "safe" speed range is very narrow. So it much worse than the Flatwing I will try a higher motor angle, but I am afraid it has a too big wing loading.

Gabriel
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2010
50 Posts
I had two problems,
first problem: the tail rudder was deflected and turned too far left and slightly to the right.

second problem: I do not have good support for engine and improvised hise has come loose and the prop has scratched a little cork.

I have to find screws and a thin sheet to position the motor or something.

jorge.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 02:16 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
@Marijn

You have that interesting Lippisch type PAR WIG model. How is it working (worked)?

Gabriel
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:09 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
@ Jorge, are you also going to try it on water, or just on the streets?

@ Gabriel - Well, it worked fine, for as far as I had completelly trimmed it wrong. I build it when I was quite young and I didn't fully understand how to solve the stability issues on Wigs. Still, I could easily flip it(it was trimmed way to far backwards), showing that using this system you can easily Take off on asphalt.

It was quite a heavy & robust machine, I build the wings and tail from 5mm triplex, the PAR cavity/hull was build from thick balsa, engine mount too. I placed a sort of pushbar on front made of RVS 2mm, to prevent the prop from getting to easily damaged.

It was propelled by a Speed 600 6V brushed engine, together with a 8,4 2600mAh NiCD accu racing pack. It only featured rudder controll, no elevator

Alltogether a rugged and very, very heavy machine, which reached hair raising speeds on asphalt, only to Take off. I stopped testing after two rather heavy crashes, because..

Well I decided to build this model as the two previous models had failed because electronics&water don't mix well, but I then found out that crashes at these speeds on concrete resulted in far more damage than what I had seen on the water models.

But don't get me wrong, even at these weights, flat profiles, old electronics, amateuristic stabiliser angles etc, I managed to get it flying.

If you build it using your electronics, using this foam stuff, you'll probably get a very slow flying interesting PAR wig.

I don't have it anymore, neither do I have more pictures of it, it was one of those builds like..hmm I have two days, lets build something as quick as possible, crash it & trash it before the weekend ends. This is the only picture I have of it, without electronics & rudder:

Greetz
Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
257 Posts
Thanks for the answer!

I will build one of foam, but first I want to build a rubber band powered one

I have not build rubber band powered models yet, so it will be something new.

Gabriel