HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:24 AM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
Discussion
67" Scratch Build B-25

I made a bomb dropper and wanted to find a home for it so I decided on making a B-25 as close to scale as I can get it. So far I have the main wings done in sketchup and the nacelles are skeletoned. I still need to get the nacelles skinned and the fuselage design, but here are the pics so far of some of the progress and a quick video of the bomb drop.
RC Bomb Dropper (1 min 30 sec)
lankers is offline Find More Posts by lankers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:29 AM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
Here's the screen shot of my google sketchup so far. I still have to get the fuselage done.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:38 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Subscribed
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Looking Good!
Eagle-RC.com is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-RC.com
Last edited by Eagle-RC.com; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:17 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
I'm thinking a couple of http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html with 2 http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrcvose30ab.html should do fine. I'm going to try with a 3000mah 20c 3s first. I'll just have to see how it balances out. I'm going to try to use the 3 blade prop that the Parkzone Corsair uses since it looks very scale.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:41 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
My buddy would LOVE that bomb dropped. He's always begging me to put one on one of my planes. This is one of the neatest ones I've seen yet. Good job!

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:17 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
tyty. Inspiration credit goes to hornitpilot on youtube. I saw his design on youtube and decided on a direct drive to the cylinder instead of a ratchet design like his was. His video is here:
How to build a RC Jet B1 bomber #19 (7 min 21 sec)

skip to about 3:15 to see his bomb drop design.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:58 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
I'm a bit stuck on how I want to make the fuselage. I like the idea of layering and sanding the shape, but with this thickness of a fuselage, it would take 28 sheets pieces together to get the size right. that's a loooot of foam and time lol. anyone have advice or opinions?
Old Jun 08, 2010, 05:51 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,203 Posts
You could make the fuselage the way you have done the nacelles.
Something I have not tried, but intend to investigate some time, is to make a foam profile shape with bulkheads and strip-plank it with foam. I'd glue it with PU varnish.
The B25 fuselage could also be made as a thick box and sanded to shape.
In your SketchUp drawing it looks like you do not have the characteristic B25 crank in the wing. Yes? No?
I think the B25 is one of the planes that looks Just Right, and I have vivid boyhood memories of them looking so impressive, low in the sky, as the flew from the local airfield.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:58 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
You could make the fuselage the way you have done the nacelles.
Something I have not tried, but intend to investigate some time, is to make a foam profile shape with bulkheads and strip-plank it with foam. I'd glue it with PU varnish.
The B25 fuselage could also be made as a thick box and sanded to shape.
In your SketchUp drawing it looks like you do not have the characteristic B25 crank in the wing. Yes? No?
I think the B25 is one of the planes that looks Just Right, and I have vivid boyhood memories of them looking so impressive, low in the sky, as the flew from the local airfield.
I'm not sure what you mean by the crank in the wing. For me, I was always a big fan of the P-51 Mustang and the P-38J Lightning. My main reason for wanting to build this plane was for bomb dropping. I'm getting ready to move out so I may fall short on funding this project. Well just have to see how things pan out. Any idea where I could find a block that size though? It would need to be at least 100mm square and 1250mm long. Both methods seem to be a lot of work. Getting the foam to bend the way I want is pretty difficult. If anyone has advice on ways to make it easier to get it into shape, let me know. thanks for the input.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:03 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
here's the top view of it
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,203 Posts
Here is a pic of the cranked dihedral wing. I only mentioned it because in your first post you wanted it to be, "... as close to scale as I can get it."
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:44 PM
USA, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
ah I see what ya mean. I doubt I'll have the patience to do that lol. I'll try, but right now my scratch building skills are a little above novice. when it comes to getting more complicated angles, I'm a little lost.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:53 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankers View Post
I'm a bit stuck on how I want to make the fuselage. I like the idea of layering and sanding the shape, but with this thickness of a fuselage, it would take 28 sheets pieces together to get the size right. that's a loooot of foam and time lol. anyone have advice or opinions?
Or you could just use thicker foam, say 1/2" eps (wall board) from Lowes or Home Depot.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankers View Post
ah I see what ya mean. I doubt I'll have the patience to do that lol. I'll try, but right now my scratch building skills are a little above novice. when it comes to getting more complicated angles, I'm a little lost.
Just make it, "Based on the B-25."
No one can argue with that:-)