HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:59 PM
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
Discussion
Need some advice! I'm looking for a big fast plane!

I'm looking something big, fast and acrobatic. I'm not into the 3-d stuff. Just loops and rolls (right now). I just got into the hobby a few months ago and fly a p-40(electric) and a fast Super Stick like I stole them. I like to fly wide open!
I recently purchased a seagull yak 54 60 inch and plan on putting a 28 cc motor on it. I bought the air frame completed for 75$ on a whim. But now I'm second guessing if this is right for my flying style.

??? for you guys that fly like me...do I put this huge plane together and fly it or sell it off and get something more suited for my flying style...or is this the plane for me? All I need to do is put a motor in it..all ready ordered the servos.
JoeyNC is offline Find More Posts by JoeyNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
Any one??
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:56 AM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Big is a relative term, don't know how big you want, but the Kyosho Kelly would be fast enough for anyone.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:07 PM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2009
205 Posts
I Like your choice of planes and I like your engine, but they may not be the best combo. I think the engine will be to big and heavy for your plane. The Yak will go like hell when set up right. You can keep the throws down and prop the engine for speed and you will have a nice plane. I have 50" cap that I have set up for fast and I love to fly it. It goes like hell, but also slows down for a good landing.
Good luck.
MR
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
I got an electric extra 260 (3d plane like a yak) for a second plane and loved it. With the throws turned down it was a very stable airplane, both fast and slow.

I just ordered a 60-90 sized yak 54 from aeroworks, too. A 28CC enigne is way too much for a 60" yak. I'm starting a thread to decide if I want a .90 or 1.20 four stroke on it. If you want a gasoline engine Zenoah's 20cc runs pretty well and is a much better fit for you.
davidgp is offline Find More Posts by davidgp
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
They guy that sold me the 60 inch yak ran it with a 28 cc..thats why I was going to go that route.

I just bought a used Funtana with a 90 and tuned pipe in it with digital metal geared servos for $300.00 on a whim..the motor sounds great and runs like a champ. I plan on putting it up in the air tomorrow. I'm not sure why I bought it..I just did.
I may sell it or use the motor in a big stick or 4 star if I'm not happy with the way it flys. My lhs buddy tells me that the wings will fly off of it if I fly it like I do my Super Stick 40.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 04:26 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
if you want fast and aerobatic then get a Great planes revolver, there are two sized, the small one is a 59" ws I think, I have it too but don't remember and they have a 70" ws one now too, People are putting a OS 120AX on them and getting good results, The 59" is a little harder to land from what I've been reading but they both go fast and are extremely aerobatic, I have a OS 55AX on mine and it moves pretty well but couldn't give you a accurate speed but a guess would be close to 100 in a dive.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae