HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:01 PM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Discussion
ArduCopter Project Update

As some of you may know, DIY Drones has joined forces with the AeroQuad folks to produce a product called ArduCopter.

The ArduCopter will be using the ArduPilot Mega along with the new ArduPilot Mega Shield. Software will be open source and a collaboration with the DIY Drones and AeroQuad software development teams.

There are several teams working behind the scenes on various parts of the project and you should see the end result soon. The teams are comprised of very talented people all over the world.

Some of the project team members include:
Chris Anderson
Jodi Munoz
Jose Julio
Ted Carancho
Jani Hirvinen
Roberto Navoni
Ken McEwan
Sandro Benigno - 3d Rendering of Desgin
Norbert - AKA - KinderKram Great project documentation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286011

One part of the project Iím involved with is a new low cost frame design. This design will be offered on the DIY Drones store as Frame only or a complete package with motors, ESCs and control electronics.

The new frame design will accommodate Quads, TriCopter, Hexa & Octo configurations. We will also offer a power distribution board along with an electronics carrier.

The base plate material has yet to be decided on, but the arm material will be 12mm (1/2") square aluminum Tube.

We are working out the final details of the frame design and will have a release date and pricing information soon.

The power distribution board and Electronics carrier can be seen in the pictures below.

Recently added pictures of the base plates prototypes made by www.twhenterprises.com with a CNC punch. Justin Halford did the CNC layout
and some of his other work can be seen at www.cncguns.com.
Thanks Justin and twhenterprises.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...ource=activity

We would value any comments or suggestions you may have.
km28104 is offline Find More Posts by km28104
Last edited by km28104; Aug 07, 2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Great initiative !!!

A good cockpit cover would probably be a good idea as well. Mine consists of 4 sections of 6mm alu tube bent quarter cirucular and glued into a central piece of plywood at the top. That piece holds a 6mm nylon bolt over which the actual cover --a plastic bowl-- is slid and held in place with a nylon nut. The alu bows are held onto the electronics plate with nylon screws glued into their open ends. Very simple to make and can look quite professional or colourful depending upon the bowl used. Of course any other type of standard cover which is easy to keep in place in flight but remove for programming, lightweight, and offers reasonably crash protections to the electronics is fine.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:32 PM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Sounds interesting. Got any pictures?
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:34 AM
destructive testing expert
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
I totally agree, a cover is very important (for protection and for looks..)

Good covers can be made from plastic food bowls, that you can easily get in many sizes and colors. In my project the original idea was to use two bowls, one on the top and one on the bottom, to get a nice ball shape. It didn't actually come out this way (the top bowl was too small to put on the bottom and contain the battery), but it's close.

The important thing is to design the frame for easy attachment of the bowls.

Dror
dcaspi is offline Find More Posts by dcaspi
Last edited by dcaspi; Jun 05, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:46 AM
Bangkok
Joined May 2008
55 Posts
Yes cover is really important and we are looking few different solution for the boxes. Some people uses CD-Rom cakebox covers, some cookingware but many of those creates a big problem when you have a GPS on board.

If you have wrong material on top of GPS antenna you might kill almost whole reception and that's not good. I need to do a lot more testing for different materials and try to find best solution for it. Ok if antenna is outside it is not so big problem.

One other problem on covering all electronics is the heat inside the box. Especially if you have ESC's there too.. Ventilation can be done but would be the cost for doing it all.

Anyways we try to keep costs as minimum as possible.

--jp
jpheli is offline Find More Posts by jpheli
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,081 Posts
For me the cover needs to be strong enough to grab onto when adjusting PIDs or just holding the quad to the floor while you upload code in case it decides to take off on you.

An open "stacked" idea like OMMs frame would be great. A closed top might look really good also but it needs to have some holes for good ventilation to keep hot air from accumulating around the gyros.

The ideas your showing look very good.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:03 AM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Thank for the comment and input.

Look at the 3d rendering I posted this morning.

We will have to address the cover once the frame design is finalized.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 02:03 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
just out of curiosity, why the bolts on the sides of the arms and also through the middle of them too? why not just through the arms and not the extra 2 on each side per arm?

also, looks rather thick, what thickness is it? what material? Al? what Al?
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:04 AM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
That initial rendering was an artists conception. At the time of 3d rendering, the artist did not have all the dimensions.

The Arm mounts use three bolts. One towards the center of the base plate and two on either side of the arm at the edge of the base plate.

I initially design the base plate to use 3/32" (2.38mm) G10 but the design has gone through several changes and I'm not sure what the final thickness will be . I don't believe it will be any thicker than 3/32".

The base plate material is still being worked out. We want this frame to be as cheap as possible without being cheap in quality.
Last edited by km28104; Jun 11, 2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: edit text
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by km28104 View Post
...Look at the 3d rendering I posted this morning...
Looks good.

Where does the camera mount to?

If the electronics go on the forth level, the 5th might need to be raised a little to allow my fingers to go in there when plugging stuff in. I have almost three inches of room between the top plate and the plate the electronics mount onto on Mikros V3 frame I'm currently testing. I have about a quarter inch of double stick tape holding the electronics in place.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:50 PM
CNC Guitar
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
339 Posts
Quote:
That initial rendering was an artists conception. At the time of 3d rendering, the artist did not have all the dimensions.

The Arm mounts use three bolts. One towards the center of the base plate and two on either side of the arm at the edge of the base plate.

I initially design the base plate to use 3/32" (2.38) G10 but the design has gone through several changes and I'm not sure what the final thickness will be . I don't believe it will be any thicker than 3/32".

The base plate material is still being worked out. We want this frame to be as cheap as possible without being cheap in quality.
Looks pretty good....

What CAD package are you using to design this? Is this inventor?..just curious, being a Solidworks user....
cyborgcnc is offline Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:14 PM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Looks good.

Where does the camera mount to?

If the electronics go on the forth level, the 5th might need to be raised a little to allow my fingers to go in there when plugging stuff in. I have almost three inches of room between the top plate and the plate the electronics mount onto on Mikros V3 frame I'm currently testing. I have about a quarter inch of double stick tape holding the electronics in place.
To be honest, I have given much thought to camera mounts yet. As soon as I have my prototype fully assembled then I'll be able to figure out to set up a camera mount.

I'm not the only one working on this design and I'm sure we will figure the camera mount out before the production starts.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:23 PM
Indian Trail, NC
Joined Oct 2009
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgcnc View Post
Looks pretty good....

What CAD package are you using to design this? Is this inventor?..just curious, being a Solidworks user....
My original design was done in Visio Pro. Then Jani added his imagination for modifications. My initial design was pretty basic and much like the MK. But thanks to younger minds and more creative gray cells than mine, the design has developed into something quite unique.

Jani used a mac program for his design work and Sandro is using a professional program to do 3d rendering.

These designs have been and is a collaboration by a number of people.

Cybog - now you know why I asked about your CNC. Fortunately Ted Carancho from AeroQuad is doing some of the initial CNC work on the prototype.

I hope to have a fully assembled prototype soon will post pictures here when I do.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
micro pilot
Super Robot Wars
Joined Sep 2004
125 Posts
Sounds interesting
Is it only design for quad heli.?
Mystic is offline Find More Posts by Mystic
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:55 PM
CNC Guitar
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
339 Posts
Quote:
My original design was done in Visio Pro. Then Jani added his imagination for modifications. My initial design was pretty basic and much like the MK. But thanks to younger minds and more creative gray cells than mine, the design has developed into something quite unique.

Jani used a mac program for his design work and Sandro is using a professional program to do 3d rendering.

These designs have been and is a collaboration by a number of people.

Cybog - now you know why I asked about your CNC. Fortunately Ted Carancho from AeroQuad is doing some of the initial CNC work on the prototype.

I hope to have a fully assembled prototype soon will post pictures here when I do.
Got it....

Well again, if you can provide a model that I can import into Mastercam (.igs, solidworks etc etc) I will cut it out of Garolite for you....

cyborgcnc is offline Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
Closed Thread