SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2003, 08:48 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Do you ride your bike to your flying field?

A couple of things have conspired to now allow me to ride a bike to my flying field. Although I have no intention of loading up any of my 10-cell ships, I'm convinced there must be a safe (safe to me and the plane, etc.) way to transport some of my sp400 stuff there.

So, I'm wondering if others use a bike to go flying. And, if so, how do you pack up your stuff for the trip?

In fact, I'm open to general suggestions of what sort of on-bike transport systems people like even if they don't use them for transporting planes.

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2003, 08:54 AM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
I use my moped from time to time to get to some of the nearby parks. My collapsable DuskStik is what I usually bring along. I think the easiest would be to get some of fold-up side baskets and put everything in there. My moped has a good storage area on the back and quite a bit of room above the engine.

Brad
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jun 14, 2003, 09:07 AM
Sweden
Joined May 2003
25 Posts
i dont ride a bike my self but have seen fellow rcpilots done it, they have built a rektangular box to put their gear in and placed it i theback of their bikes and ofcourse those planes are foldup modells but it seem's to be an exellent way to do it.
Scrapbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scrapbuilder
Old Jun 14, 2003, 09:11 AM
Worcester, Ma, USA
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
I used to bike to my flying field back when I was in college. I would just put the batteries and the tx in the backpack, and I'd hold the Zagi in one hand. Going downhill was a little tricky with just front brakes, but it wasn't so bad. You're probably looking for a safer way, and I don't blame you..
maciek is offline Find More Posts by maciek
Old Jun 14, 2003, 01:26 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Ive actually tried the dangerous, bordering to suicidal way to do it. When I first tried to get into RC-planes (this time is my third attempt, and the first succesfull one ) I was 14 or 15 years old. There were no usable electric planes then (that I knew of anyway).
So how does a young teenager without a drivers-license or a car (or a fully functional brain for that matter) transport a 1,6m 30-something powered glowtrainer 5km through traffic on urban and suburban streets? Easy, assemble the plane at home. Put the flight-box on the rear of the bike, the transmitter in a sling around his neck and hold the plane in one hand, leaving only one hand on the handlebar.
Come to think of it, perhaps it wasnt the trouble of getting a glow-engine started that discouraged me that time. Trouble with transportation may have been a contributing factor!

Now to the smart way, not that Ive had reason to try it myself, but it looked smart when I saw it.
All equipment, including Tx in a "saddlebag" on the rear of the bike. Plane and wing in a purpose made plywood-box attached to the frame of an ordinary backpack (the kind that trekkers use). The rider (on a 50cc Scooter) looked to have full control of that 110-120cm long box.

Anders
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Jun 14, 2003, 02:42 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Try a bicycle trailer. This is one of the cheaper ones.
http://www.biketrailer.com/XL_adult.htm
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Jun 14, 2003, 08:01 PM
Excellence thru mistakes
Sanibel Island. FL
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
The infamous Wingo is delivered in a styrofoam package that converts into a backpack, straps included (at least when I bought mine). 3 or 4 fully charged packs and a transmitter and you are in business.

I have used the carrier to store my Wingo on my cruising sailboat when I lived in a freshwater area. I taped Wingo foam floats to the carrier. It is extremely compact.

As an aside, the outline of the Wingo must resemble a hawk of some bird of prey. Several loons went berserk when they spotted this silent flier above them.

Corky
Corky Boyd is offline Find More Posts by Corky Boyd
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:07 AM
Get a brian, moron!
London, UK
Joined Apr 2002
149 Posts
Well

I'm getting a 23" miniwing (CliC) And I was planning to have velcroed wingtips and to keep the foam beds in which it is delivered. Then sling it, with Tx, Lipolies, and some nicads (for topping up Lioplies) in a backpack and hopping on my bike. Hopefully this will get my parents to view my hobby more favourably
Zephyr is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr
Old Jun 15, 2003, 09:37 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Great input - keep it coming.

I've generally been thinking along the lines of a backpack for transmitter, battery packs, charger, small field battery (e.g. 7.5Ah sealed lead acid), and then a box to transport the plane on a rear rack.

However, the trailer idea has got me thinking. I'm even wondering if I could hobble something together cheaply.

Mitch
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:50 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Perhaps if your plane was trimmed really well, you could strap the transmitter to the handlebars and fly while cycling! That would be a site to see..

I would think some sort of box mounted behind the seat and a backpack would give you more then enough space?
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:16 AM
Joined Feb 2001
144 Posts
Could it be that e-flying is bucking the "doom & gloom" outlook of r/c modeling being an "old man's" hobby? I see a lot of young(er) faces on the e-zone.
john mcm is offline Find More Posts by john mcm
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:32 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
I'd take the minimalist approach. I used to go shopping (including buying food) when I lived in Davis CA on a bike, and all I took was a canvas tote bag with handles that I could drape over the handle bars. Generally worked, although occasionally some of the produce got a bit bruised.

However, I have a Wren which easily dissassembles into a similar tote bag- it's a compact biplane of 20" span- fuse about the same length. Bring a pair of li-poly packs and a tranny- and you're flying for over half an hour- no other support gear needed. The Wren is a sturdy airplane- takes getting thrown in the tote bag well-also the occasional cartwheel.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:26 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by john mcm
Could it be that e-flying is bucking the "doom & gloom" outlook of r/c modeling being an "old man's" hobby? I see a lot of young(er) faces on the e-zone.
Although, I assure I am not one of those young faces.

Mitch
Born in '64.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:46 PM
Joined Feb 2001
144 Posts
All my children are older than you are!!!!!

Seriously, it is nice to see a lot of under 30 fliers out there. With companies like GWS, Wattage, etc. the hobby becomes more affordable after the initial radio investment, especially if you are willing to scrounge and build....foam is cheap.
john mcm is offline Find More Posts by john mcm
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:04 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I purchased a wire basket that fits on the handle bars of my bicycle. the transmitter sits neatly in the bottom on a piece of foam. My GWS Zero sits nose down on some foam taped to the top of the sides and is held in place by rubber bands. A small plastic box takes spare batteries. I have to get regular exersise to control high a high blood preasure condition so I ride about a kilometer to my local athletics field to fly.

Here is a photo of my bike and plane.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp