HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:01 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,428 Posts
New Product
Flyzone Sky Fly Max

For me, this plane has been long awaited. With an original release date sometime around last October, I've been dying to get my hands on this guy. So without further adieu, may I present the Flyzone Sky Fly Max!

From seeing stock photos online and talking with Flyzone reps, I was really excited for this plane- most importantly its FPV potential. I was told that it definitely had some room- man were they right! Just for fun, I decided to see how many batteries I could fit in while maintaining the STOCK setup (I have to play nice for now until the review is finished. THEN I can hog away at that molded EPP AeroCell )- The largest area has a small EPP divider (acting as a battery rest) blocking it off from my access, but it wouldn't take a second to pull it out (separate piece). Regardless of not being able to use this area (at least big enough for a 3s 2200 battery, probably more), I was still able to fit two 3s 2200 batteries and a 3s 1000mah battery into the plane (AND close it back up ).

The canopy is attached with a piece of Velcro- fine for conventional RC, but switching it out with two rare earth magnets would be perfect (there are even some great flat spots to embed them too).

Another part that stuck out to me was the "servo" hatch on the bottom. This cutout would be great for holding an OSD/ GPS/ LRS system (maybe not all three, but there is plenty of room for one).

The outrunner motor on the back spins an 8x4 prop, and comes stock with a 3s 1800 mah battery.

If you haven't noticed the similarities yet, this plane really reminds me of an Easy Star- but the next generation. Molded EPP? Yep. Pusher Prop? Yep. Plenty of room? Yep. But after that, the similarities stop. The Sky Fly is a full house 4channel system with independent aileron servos. The tail looks much beefier than the Easy Star as well. Also, the motor area allows for up to an 8" prop (any bigger will strike the tail boom while maintaining the stock motor location). Also, the optional landing gear finally make actual touch-n-goes and landings possible. While the wingspan of the Sly Fly is smaller (57" vs 54"), it's wing area is larger (390 sq. in vs. 372 on the Easy Star). The SkyFly is also 5" longer, and 3oz heavier (all according to online Specs).

I haven't flown the plane (I've had it an hour, gimme a break! :P), so I can't speak to it's handling or flying characteristics yet, but will as soon as I can.

SPECS:
Quote:
Wingspan: 47" (1194mm)
Wing Area: 390 sq in (25.19 sq dm)
Length: 39" (991mm)
Weight: 27oz (770g)
Wing Loading: 10oz sq/ft (31g sq/dm)
Center of Gravity: 2-5/8" (67mm) back from the leading edge of the
wing at the fuselage side.
So, final thoughts after my initial look over? How about putting it this way: If I was an Easy Star, I would be very afraid.

-Kevin

PS- in an effort to get pictures online quickly, these are all straight from the camera with no review or editing. Please excuse the blurry ones- I'm trying to keep the visual people happy with lots of pictures.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:23 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,314 Posts
Man I'm so happy to see them finally out there! I think this will make for a lot more fun than a conventional Easy Star! The shorter wing, few extra ounces of weight, ailerons, etc. should make for a faster, smoother platform with potential for mild aerobatics. Just looking at the design, I bet it will still be as stable and easy going as the Easy Star when you want it to be too. I *almost* hit the order button last night, but I'm still waiting for a receiver ready version. If I buy one RTF, the radio gear would end up in the free forum here anyway...

Question, how strong is the landing gear? Is it up to a grass runway? It would be so simple to just take it off, but I'm finding myself wanting to to take-offs from the ground more and more. I can always glue a block of hard wood in and use a flat aluminum gear, but it would be nice if the stock one is up to the task...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,428 Posts
Hey Keith!

The landing gear is DEFINITELY up to grass. I was just playing around with it, and *accidentally* dropped it at about a -45 angle so that the landing gear would take the full brunt. The fall was about 3 feet, but it just sprung back. The plastic mount for the gear is surrounded by about an inch of thick AeroCell, so I don't think it will tear out that easy.
The bottom is also flat, so gluing on a flat piece of ply and aluminum gear wouldn't be hard at all.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:26 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
946 Posts
I'll be looking forward to seeing your build of this plane. I'm curious to see if it will hold all the equipment. Camera, tx, osd, autopilot, batteries, other sensors, etc.
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:58 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,014 Posts
How is this different than a Wing Dragon ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 03, 2010, 02:11 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,314 Posts
Not sure about the dimensions and aerodynamics, but I think this fuselage has a lot more room than the WD. That's the only reason I haven't picked up one of those yet, the small fuselage. I didn't really like the idea of the fuse being plastic either.

Looks like they got it right with this one...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:16 AM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
I like the look, but the Wing Dragon 4 is less than half the price... granted, it doesn't have a great motor but I think I'll go with it anyway for a test plane.

I wish they would sell some of these planes as airframe only or PNP
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,428 Posts
Monkey- building a PNP version from replacement parts would only be $65.75 from Tower without shipping. Looks like $132.39 for everything but the Radio System. And its foam, not plastic.

Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:37 PM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
540 Posts
Wow , That's looks like bad ass plane. Ailerons, landing gear, rear motor and it's has room for extra junk.It should be called 'FPV Max'
I'm sure it will be soon be back ordered...lol
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:05 PM
Joined Feb 2010
946 Posts
Nice job Kmart, wouldnt have thought of ordering all pieces separately. Which pieces did you choose to come up with $65.75. I came up with $79.21 for all foam pieces, 1 propeller, 1 rubber band set.
Last edited by fireslayer26; Jun 03, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:20 PM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
Monkey- building a PNP version from replacement parts would only be $65.75 from Tower without shipping. Looks like $132.39 for everything but the Radio System. And its foam, not plastic.

Ooo I didn't realize you could put it together that cheap... it crossed my mind but I didn't dig too deeply.

I wouldn't need landing gear, servos, or rubber bands...

Hmm!

Let us know how the stock motor works as far as load carrying capacity. My gear is a little heavy (KX191 w/ 3dbi omni on the TX) but if the stock motor will haul it okay I might consider this. Thanks!
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,428 Posts
Hi Fire!

You won't need to purchase another canopy or access plate. Also, I forgot about the rubber bands, and left the propeller out (if you used your own system, I assume you would use your own prop as well).

Monkey-
I probably would use the rubber bands that come with the kit- They are designed to fit the pegs on this plane. And hey- for 69 cents, why not?
No Landing gear? That's half the fun! the wings on this plane are higher than the Easy Star (High wing vs mid wing), so belly landing might damage the wing (when it tips over onto a wingtip). The LG is really light, so it probably won't be a huge issue with weight or balance.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
946 Posts
Kmart- Ok, I did add the canopy and access plate.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, but I won't buy until I see how much gear it can carry. So whoever has this one.... Load it up!
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:13 PM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
Monkey-
I probably would use the rubber bands that come with the kit- They are designed to fit the pegs on this plane. And hey- for 69 cents, why not?
No Landing gear? That's half the fun! the wings on this plane are higher than the Easy Star (High wing vs mid wing), so belly landing might damage the wing (when it tips over onto a wingtip). The LG is really light, so it probably won't be a huge issue with weight or balance.
I'm more concerned with looks... I'd want the airframe to build into a UAV-esque aircraft which would need to look more pseudo-scale

Since it has dual aileron servos I should be able to set it up with flaperons/spoilerons to slow it down significantly before landing.

Plus my field isn't that great for smaller wheels like that

As for rubber bands, you may be right. I wonder if #64's work

EDIT: Although Hobby City does sell some bicycle style wheels that may work... hmm...
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:44 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Don't forget you need 4 servos not just 1! That adds a bit to the price. That motor looks like a hobbycity motor. Wonder what the specs are.

Looks like I'll at LEAST have to buy a fuselage for the next pod design...
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor