HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2003, 12:49 AM
Excellence thru mistakes
Sanibel Island. FL
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
Transporting planes in a minivan or suv

I'm planning a trip up north in about a month and would like to take a couple of my planes with me. Will be transporting a wife and accompaning baggage so I need to design and build something that isn't vulnerable to shifting suitcases and duffles in the event of hard braking etc.

Would appreciate any pictures of your plane carriers. I have seen some excellent ones at the Mid-Ams, but I didn't take any photos.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Corky Boyd is offline Find More Posts by Corky Boyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2003, 02:09 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
This is how I built my rack in my Suburban. It can carry 5 planes and 4 helis in total safety.

It could be much smaller for a couple plane leaving plenty of "other" room.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 14, 2003, 03:53 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
You can get one of those pet gates and leave the back seat folded down. This way, if your luggage slips, the gate will catch it. You can always put the luggage in the back seat, and the planes in the hatch.
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff
Old Jun 14, 2003, 05:08 AM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
I generally use a bungee cord between two of the coat racks on the roof. With two cords (4 hooks required) it will hold your wings up on the roof leaving all the floor space available for fuses and accessories.
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Jun 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
Gravitationaly Challenged
La Canada, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
354 Posts
Since this a long haul type trip, how about a roof carrier. We use a Yakima Rocket box, now several years old.
With some careful packing and padding your planes would be safely away from all the other stuff until you need them.
Oh yeah don't forget it's up there.
Best, Jay
jmelzer is offline Find More Posts by jmelzer