HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:45 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Air Camper from NE Sail. My new AP plane?

Been thinking quite seriously about a new plane for windy flying days with the camera. Especially when I get a heavier camera.

I've PM'd a couple of folks about the Air Camper, anyone else familiar with this plane?

Nice big flat bottom wing, ailerons, and brushless power should make it pretty strong in the wind (at least compared to the SlowStick).

Appears to be a very stable airplane that can even thermal, so I'm thinking it's a good choice for hauling a 4 oz camera.

The Super Miss is a similar build and is also under consideration.

I'm trying to avoid a sail plane since they require so much landing area, and I tend to fly in funky places with small landing zones.

Comments?
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:50 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Here's the plane, looks like a very spacious cargo area for the camera/battery etc.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:38 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Say, that looks like this:

http://www.oldschoolrc.com/pietenpol.html
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Jun 27, 2003, 02:13 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
I got this plane for Father's Day and I'm building it right now! It is awesome although the instructions lack alot of information on building details. So far, I've completed the wing joint with epoxy, installed the ailerons, aileron servos (had to run servo extension wires from the two aileron servos, and apparently I'll need some sort of servo splitter-again no instructions about that part-common sense I guess), tail feathers installed and getting ready to start rigging control horns and rods. This plane is a beauty and I caught it on sale for $129!!!

I'm hoping to have it finished by this Sunday morning for a early morning maiden flight. Wish me luck!

I'd also like to mention that UPS had crushed a few ribs on one of my wing halves and Nesail was very quick to send me a complete set of new wings at no charge (they sent me a complete wing set when only one side of the split wing was damaged). I thought this was awesome customer service. Now I can repair the damaged wing and recover it if I prefer and have an extra wing! Thanks Nesail!

Also, mine came completely covered in transparent blue rather than blue and orange like the picture on the site. Not a problem but would have been nice to know up front what color scheme I was getting.
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Jun 27, 2003, 02:15 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
BTW, I also chose this plane for aerial photography just like you mentioned.
Last edited by flytowner; Jun 27, 2003 at 02:27 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 04:45 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Fantastic, I await your flight report.

Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:30 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
I ended up spending my entire weekend repainting our house! (Honeydews come first...)

I'll definitely have it in the air by next weekend or at least completed and ready for the maiden flight. I think all I would need is about two or three uninterrupted hours to finish this thing. Too exhausted to work on it tonight but, it's tempting. I think it is such a cool looking BIG plane and I cannot wait to get it airborne. The covering job that they did on it is the best I've ever seen. Wish I could cover like that!

,Lewis

Pic of current progress Tail feathers, pushrods, and main wing ailerons/servos installed...
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:23 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,557 Posts
If it flies anywhere close to how my Piet flys, it will be a wonderful plane. She's a touch and go machine, with some mild aerobatics thrown in.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:36 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Ebird also look at the Virus ASP! All of the above and would be easy to mount a camera The carbon reinforced wing and tail boom is a real plus! Can take off with flaperons and landing with them is at walking speed! I have converted mine to a trainer with a 400C-F but with a Geared Mega or Astro 020 w/planetary it's a sweetheart! Also a good choice would be one of the rotating can DD brushless! I'll see if I can get some videos as even with the 400 it flys well... Just more trainer like in climbout! That thinner wing lets it handle wind well!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:46 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Here is a front view pic while I still had the Mega installed! LE is carbon tube along with the rear fuse.
boomer
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:47 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Rear View
Old Jun 30, 2003, 03:07 AM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2002
317 Posts
It looks really cool; and very practical for a camer. i still have to undertake an ebals plane. my challenge is to keep it light, and beautiful.
good job guys
ed_khan is offline Find More Posts by ed_khan
Old Jun 30, 2003, 08:23 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
boomerace,

Your Virus ASP is awesome! I took a hard look at the Virus 400A and Virus 400 ASP when I was shopping. Both are cool planes but, I went with the Air Camper because it looked a little more like a scale plane and looked like it might fly a little bit slower than the Virus'.

What type of battery packs are your running with your setup on the ASP? I'm planning on using my standard 8-cell Zagi (1 is a 1700AU and the other 3 are 1400AE's) packs since I have 4 of them.
Last edited by flytowner; Jun 30, 2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:48 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flytowner
boomerace,

Your Virus ASP is awesome! I took a hard look at the Virus 400A and Virus 400 ASP when I was shopping. Both are cool planes but, I went with the Air Camper because it looked a little more like a scale plane and looked like it might fly a little bit slower than the Virus'.

What type of battery packs are your running with your setup on the ASP? I'm planning on using my standard 8-cell Zagi (1 is a 1700AU and the other 3 are 1400AE's) packs since I have 4 of them.
With the Mega I was using a 10 cell 1400AE Nicad pack but with the 400 I am running a 10 cell 1600 NiMH pack!
boomer
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:01 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
With the Mega I was using a 10 cell 1400AE Nicad pack but with the 400 I am running a 10 cell 1600 NiMH pack!
boomer
Why ten cells? I was thinking either of these planes would do OK on 8. My stupid Promaxx Activator charger only charges 8 cells, so I really don't want to buy another charger.

I was thinking of putting the Astro 020 on there with a planetary gear.