HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Discussion
Be carefull when buying from the Internet.

Aint it frustrating when ya get a new bird from a dot.com only to find out later that they care not for your' satisfaction? Case in point, DO NOT by from nitroplanes.com or xheli.com. These two companies are actually the same company. I was speechless after calling them to voice frustration of the included battery charger in one of their RTF choppers, the erazor450. The fastest re-charge for the included 3c2200mah battery has been 6.5 hours! After reading the numbers this charger should have to them over the phone, they replied that the actual output of 350mah and the black and white claims in the manual and on their site of 1 amp are within their parameters for this charger. I then went to their site and read to them the claimed numbers for this charger. When I did this they hung up!!!!!!!
GuitarPlayer is offline Find More Posts by GuitarPlayer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:49 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
FYI, there's almost no such thing as an included charger that will charge a 3S 2200mAh battery in less than 6 hours. Not eflight, not esky and not helimax. Most of these chargers, usually $30 from tower, can only charge at 200mA to 800mA as they are designed for fairly small 3S packs from 800mAh to 2000mAh.

As a matter of fact, that charger is exactly the same, rebranded charger that helimax, walkera and exi use in their rtf kits.

Don't worry, we all do foolish things from time to time and regret it, lol.

Btw, what guitars do you play?
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
So, you buy a $200 RTF heli and expect a $70 charger to be included? You do need to exercise a certain amount of common sense when buying anywhere over the internet. You can make a complaint on Xheli's support forum here, or over at RCUniverse. Xheli is a great place to buy from, but you have to know what you are buying and not pay attention to the BS.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:06 AM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
So, you buy a $200 RTF heli and expect a $70 charger to be included? You do need to exercise a certain amount of common sense when buying anywhere over the internet. You can make a complaint on Xheli's support forum here, or over at RCUniverse. Xheli is a great place to buy from, but you have to know what you are buying and not pay attention to the BS.
+1
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:39 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,571 Posts
What makes the charging so long is the output voltage from the wall plug...You need at least a 2 amp output wall plug....Most of the RTF models come with a 1 amp wall plug which will only give you .7 amps tp charge with...I have a 4 year old walkera charger that will charge a 3s 2200mah battery in 45 minutes and that is only because my wall plug is rated at 2.5 amps 14 volts.....
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Well no, increasing the capacity of the power supply won't make it charge any faster, because the charging circuit itself is set to output 350mA as the charge rate, and it may also go into trickle toward the end of the charging cycle, making it take even longer.

There is no way around the math - 2200mAh divided by 350mA is about 6.5 hours. The only way to fix that is with a better charger. And then yes, you need a power supply that can handle the wattage.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:50 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Get yourself a thunder ac6 charger... $55 from xheli or you can buy a triton2 eq(similar features, several better, cutomer support and warranty) for $175. Both will charge anything that can be charged. I charge 6S 4800mAh packs in about 210 minutes. The ac6 will go up to 5A charge, but theres a table with limitations based on pack size, cell count and safety. My 6S 4800mAh packs are set to charge at 4.8A, but is automatically limited to roughly 2.6A and goes down as the pack nears full charge(1.4A average).
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
It's because the charger is limited by wattage, amperage is not really limited. The Thunder Power AC6 is a 50-watt charger... so, a 6S battery is limited to just under 2 amps (due to its 25.2V final charge level). This can make the charge time a lot longer. The more modern setup is to use a powerful charger, and use quality batteries, and then charge at a high rate - most of the time my batteries charge in 15 minutes these days. I'm using the Hyperion charger (250-watt limit), and the Hyperion batteries which can charge at up to 5C - it is a little more money for this setup, but it saves boat loads of time. Now still, I have about a 10-amp limit for a 6S battery, 20-amp limit for a 3S - so some of the larger packs still can't be charged very quickly. So... that is what you get for $100 more on a charger - you save maybe 90 minutes every time you charge.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:33 AM
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
I find these responses(phoenix) a complete 180 from those on the other sites I subscribe to. Ah yes and so goes the spread of my opinion of your' companies. Remember, if somthing is only 10 inches tall, don't tell tell people its 2 feet. All you will end up with is inflated sales and pissed of customers...... All over a charger.
GuitarPlayer is offline Find More Posts by GuitarPlayer
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:12 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I think you are over reacting, calm down, get a proper charger, I have 4 of these:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028

and 3 of these:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s.../Charger_2S~4S

and while you are at it pick up a few of these:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...y_Monitor_2-6S

Welcome to the insanity. BTW, if you shop smart at xheli, hobbypartz you can pick up some nice gear at good prices. For problems goto rcdiscuss.com and speak to Andy. Probably will not help now that you have called, the phone people are dks.

Good luck, hope you like your new heli.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:55 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Whoah, how did this thread go from explaining to a misinformed pilot about a basic charger and explaining about how good chargers work and into some philosophical debate?
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:39 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Oh you got a bum deal... definitely. The advertising differed from the product in critical technical capabilities, and I think you have a right to get what you thought you were paying for. However, many people in this hobby do not bother with demanding proper customer service. There are people who will receive a brand-new, but broken product from a vendor, and they will just fix it themselves. As a community, we need to stop doing that, and send the message that we won't accept items that aren't suitable for sale. The issue with the charger not being up to spec is a big problem - they misrepresented the item on their web page, and then they insulted you by claiming it didn't really say that.

The reason I posted about better chargers though... is even if the charger was up to the spec on the web page, it would still be taking 2-3 hours to charge your batteries, and in my mind, that sucks.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:01 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
i've bought alot of stuff from xheli...i've had zero problems

i DO hate they hung up on your call though...not good on their part !!!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:48 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
As far as charging batteries with the factory included chargers, Im speaking only from my experience with the ESKY belt Cps and King2 RTF packages I have bought in the past and using the included Chargers to charge my 2100 and 2200 3s Battery packs. I can honestly say they did not ever take 6 hours to charge or even close. The Charger itself is the EK2-0851, it has an output of 0.8A . Charging time for me was about half hour to 1 1/2 hours max depending on how much I ran the battery down. I also have another battery charger bought for charging my batteries and yes, you will spend about $75 plus for a good one. 350 ma does seem awfully low for charging a 3S 2200 pack and bares out that it will take a long time to charge such a battery.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
+2.
Anyone with any experience at all with electric collective pitch helis knows that as a matter of course GuitarPlayer.
What is your level of experience? I ask because I don't believe that is a great choice for a first collective pitch helicopter, regardless of what the ad says. Doug
doug47 is online now Find More Posts by doug47