SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:23 PM
Are there crawfish in heaven??
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Mad, how are you launching yours? I'm still trying to decide. Got my notification that it already shipped and will be here on Tue. Now if I weren't working 12 hour days for the next two weeks.
jcg1112 is offline Find More Posts by jcg1112
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 08:21 AM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
348 Posts
Launching

For the first 3 flights I had a friend hand launch it. I think it will be no problem at all to hand launch it my self. It has no bad tendencies and tons of power.
madpatter is offline Find More Posts by madpatter
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:37 PM
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Was your friend using the under or overhand launch? The underhand looks like the way to go for a self-launch. I'm the only guy in the club right now with any edf's. I got a feeling that will change soon Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:24 AM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
348 Posts
My friend did it overhand. I plan on trying underhand. It looks a little easier to hold that way.

My experience with EDFs and other hand launchers is just make sure you do not point it at too much of an angle. I have seen a lot of people put their plane into a stall on a hand launch. I think underhand helps that too.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:38 AM
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Mar 2010
10 Posts
Maidening today

Heading out today to Maiden today? Wish me luck. I added some 3M extreme tape to the bottom of the nose back to the CG on the unpainted section. Figured it would help support that LONG nose and also act and a bit of a skid guard on landings. Shaking already!!
N8zoo is offline Find More Posts by N8zoo
Old Jul 05, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Good luck!! Let us know how it goes. Mine is due to deliver tomorrow. I've also found that you can't launch at too steep of an angle, especially with an edf. My foam delta edf has finger holds on the bottom and this makes launches much easier. You have to resist the urge to give up elevator too soon with an edf. I've got a couple of pusher deltas and they will take off at a steeper angle, I just have to make sure I adjust accordingly.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:14 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,779 Posts
This F-20 is on the right side of the power curve IMO. Plenty of power when hand launching! As in the factory video, release it with a toss forward and let it accelerate for a second or so and you are off and running! Let is know how the maiden goes N8zoo!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:45 AM
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Mar 2010
10 Posts
Maiden went great!! Bajora is correct It has PLENTY of power. I had a friend launch it for the first few flights but it just took a toss fwd and about 1 to 1.5 seconds and it was on step. Not a whole lot of drop. Flies Awesome. Is Fast Fast Fast. It's Very responsive. Oh my friend over hand tossed for the Launch.

This was my first ever EDF so I was shaking like a leaf in a tornado!!! Flies great on like 1/2 throttle. It retains speed really well and landing was pretty easy. Just give your self time/room to burn off speed. I came in Hot on the first landing and when it caught the grass it tumbled, like in the video, no damage excepted for paint scuff which would/will happen no mater what. (unless you cover it some how.)

AWESOME JET THOUGH. NO complaints at all!
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:36 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
How does the speed compare to the electrifly L-39 with 3S ? Also, anyone glasses his foam jet with light cloth and minwax like on the funjet forums ? It would protect that nose but I wonder about weight penalty... I did fixed a broken nose that way on my L-39. Didn't gain much weight and is much sturdier.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:08 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,779 Posts
If memory serves (it has been a LONG time since I flew my ElectriFly L-39 3S ), the F-20 is much. much faster. It is really apples to oranges due to the extra cell used on it's lipo and it's all around hotter power system. As N8zoo mentions above, the "oomph" of the F-20s power system makes launches pretty easy. The L-39, while not difficult to launch per se, did take a little more finesse on the launch. The F-20 gets on step pretty quick, while the L-39 on 3S would take a little longer to find it's proper posture in the air. Now, the L-39 on 4S?! THAT was a whole different story!

Glad all went well for you N8zoo!!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:18 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
thanks !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:32 PM
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Mar 2010
10 Posts
Second day of flights yesterday. Had a pretty gnarly crash. A little twitch of the thumb and dug a hole (not really). I blew the left wing off as well as the tip of the nose and the left tail wing. I was probably at 1/2 throttle. First flight of the session. AAARRRGGG

Well after collecting my wits and about an hour with CA. I got her back up and on step. I put another 2 bats. through her and she flew great. The big surprise was how well that Long nose took the impact. With the extreme tape on the bottom only tip blew off and was easily repaired. I was shocked that the battery didn't destroy the hole nose. The foam is pretty tough.

Anyway, it's all good when they fly again especially the same day!!
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
Better than the nose on my L-39, it tore off when it catched the long grass on the side of the runway. It tumbled on the side wich broke the nose and made it look like a fusilli. Had to do some reconstructive surgery. Thats why I wonder if one could glass all the plane before flight. Would look nice and be strong. Otherwise I find foam planes don't last very long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:17 PM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
348 Posts
I love my foam planes. I think the secret is to make sure you get all the foam after you crash... then you just rebuild the puzzle.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:18 PM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpatter View Post
I love my foam planes. I think the secret is to make sure you get all the foam after you crash... then you just rebuild the puzzle.
Yeah balsa/fiberglass models are rigid and strong but in a bad crash they're trash. No puzzle pieces there.

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14