SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,416 Posts
I maidened my F-20 today too. On Tuesday before I had to leave for work in Texas I tried but the rear hatch came off when I threw it so I got a crunched nose and a broken wing I had to repair. Today was easy, needed quite a bit of up trim and some right aileron but it flew great! It looks fast stock at least compared to the 50mm T-45 that was flying with me at the same time, I was smokin that plane on the hot laps. Landing was super slow and easy, not an issue. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so no video but I will remember for next time.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
Just re-maidened mine with a new setup from DonsRC.

Wicked 4400+ w/a balanced fan unit. It's SO smooth. I'm at 4500MSL so EDFs struggle a bit, but I used the rcspeed app on my phone and it did 102mph. This is on 4S, BTW.

I'm going to move the CG back a bit more. Bummer thing: I had a dumb moment and didn't get a good launch...corkscrewed into the ground and did some pretty good damage to the left wing and intake. I glued it all back together and proceeded to do my final speed run...still flies great...just looks a little rough.
How many amps are you pulling on that motor?
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
I maidened my F-20 today too. On Tuesday before I had to leave for work in Texas I tried but the rear hatch came off when I threw it so I got a crunched nose and a broken wing I had to repair. Today was easy, needed quite a bit of up trim and some right aileron but it flew great! It looks fast stock at least compared to the 50mm T-45 that was flying with me at the same time, I was smokin that plane on the hot laps. Landing was super slow and easy, not an issue. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so no video but I will remember for next time.
Sorry to hear about that. Make sure to tape the entire back hatch to seal against exhaust pressure loss. The loss in pressure is significant enough that flying the model gets much harder than it already is.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
How many amps are you pulling on that motor?
I know this is terrible...but I didn't check it. It's Dons recommended setup all around and I was lazy. Flew it again today...timer set at 3 minutes and I am 15% when I land...throttle management is hard!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:36 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
766 Posts
X-29

Thought I'd share my F-20 project. Going to become an X-29!

Still in the infancy stage as I need to add carbon, work the control horns for the canards and strake flaps and cut/shape the vertical stab and working rudder.

Hopefully she can do some high alpha!

~Cheers,

Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:35 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
Thought I'd share my F-20 project. Going to become an X-29!

Still in the infancy stage as I need to add carbon, work the control horns for the canards and strake flaps and cut/shape the vertical stab and working rudder.

Hopefully she can do some high alpha!

~Cheers,

Neil
That is awesome....can't wait to see video. Nice work!
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:51 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
That is a GREAT bash of the kit! Can't wait to see it fly!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu