HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:37 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
Discussion
Beriev Be-200 for EDF-40: long delayed project complete!

About 4 years ago, I started a BE-200 for twin brushless EDF-40s. fter much procrastination, it is complete at last! I put it back in the front of th queue for SMALL 2010, which starts this week.

Not certain it will get off the water, but I think it has a fighting chance. If not, It will still be a fun sport scale model to enjoy.

This model is a little hard to catagorize for RCG....it fits scale, waterplanes and EDFs...

Link to original thread here, woith some of the old progess photos:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521103
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:39 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Nice job--it looks pretty, especially for a Russian design. Some of theirs look a little cobby to me.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
I dunno,,,,it is generally considered that the Russians have designed a lot of really beautiful and striking aircraft....some that come to mind at the Tu-16 Badger, the Backfire, the Bear...as well a the Be-200!

Got the first flights in on the Be-200, including some at SMALL in Little Rock today....it REALLY flys nicely!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:57 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I LIKE IT, not to many guys modeling that . keep up the great work thomas. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:11 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
883 Posts
Beautiful Thomas! Looking forward to your maiden, and that's off the water! Videotape it if you get a chance as there are not many rc EDF seaplanes out there.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:29 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
the biggest question is now :

DOES it ROW ?

Sure hope it does, it`s a beautiful model !
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
will be trying it off the water shortly... after flying it off the grass, I think it has a good chance of doing an ROW, perhaps with a tweak or two on the step and the tip floats.

Here is video of the little BE-200 in action:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256915
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:10 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
BE-200 Flight Pictures at SMALL 2010

There are a number of pictures of Tom's BE-200 in flight at SMALL 2010 in this post in the SMALL 2010 thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=202

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:18 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
BE-200 on Water

These are pictures from Tom's first attempts at ROW from a pond near his home. It didn't have enough grunt to get unstuck but did have good water handling and did do an LOW.

Richard
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
Had another go this past weekend at the Fort Worth Thunderbirds Float Fly with shorter tip float struts...the originals pictured above were far too long.

Did noticably better, but still not quite enough ponies to get it up on step and away.

It did take off nicely with a start in the grass, to get up to planning speed by the time it hit the water...cheating, but still farily satisfying. Did 5-6 touch and go landings...short touches...

Does need a water rudder...or at least differential thrust.

Richards pics show the need for some spray rails along the sides fo the forwar fuse...rather like the real one has... I still think it has a chance of unassisted ROW with some more mods....might have to try to vent the step as well.

Our float fly photographer failed to get any pics other than a few of the model taxiing, but I did like this one of it going past a tugboat model that was there. It shows the short tip float struts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:56 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,625 Posts
Beautiful rendition of the BE-200. Regarding your problems with defeating the suction of the water and not being able to do a ROW, I have some thoughts. To me, the root problem is not being able to generate enough angle of attack and lift from the wing, to overcome the step design. With a scale design, this is pretty hard to redesign. Likewise, increasing the angle of incidence of the wing would be impractical. One solution would be the use of flaps on the wing. Another redesign, of course, but how about trying using the ailerons as flaperons? It might be worth looking into with another seaplane that you might have to see what adverse problems you might encounter using ailerons as flaperons if your ailerons are not full span, as on your BE-200.
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I agree with PSF , if you can take off from grass you should have enough power to ROW .

If your airfoil is semi sym or sym , you need more AofA than you do for Clark Y type airfoils .

You have built a beautiful model , I have thought of building one of these , but haven't got arround to it yet .

The "to do " list keeps getting longer !!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Last edited by lake flyer; Aug 10, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,577 Posts
The surface tension of the water is a larger effect than the quite low drag of short grass on the fuse. As I have posted, there are still some options around of adding a secondary step or larger step. Given the volume of water sheeting over the fuse, I also think spray rails will give some useful benefits.

The airfoil is a Clark Y variant, with a little washout in the tips and a couple of degress of positive AOA at the root.

The model has never quite gotten on step yet, so no way to know if the scale fuse design will allow it to rotate off the water, or not, once it gets on step.

I was already thinking about drooping the ailerons a bit, if it will not get off once on step. Will have to add a second aileron servo, as I have only one at present.

Never thought it would come close to taking off the water as I designed it...it was really a fun little scale jet for grass operations. But, who knows..It just might be possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:57 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,932 Posts
This is what it needs.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Lovely job Thomas, I agree about the spray wave if you look at close ups of the original its got substantial if thin spray rails about there. Increasing the step a little and turbulance ahead of it should dencrease the stiction. You will get there, definately cool.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp