SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 Pulse 125

I have decided to get a Hangar 9 Pulse 125. However, I'm confused as to which engine I should get for a gas setup. The recommended motor was a Saito 4 stroke gasoline 20cc, so I assumed a Zenoah G20 20cc engine would work fine. However, now I'm wondering if a Zenoah 26cc would be better? From what I've read and seen, the G20 is correct. Does it come with the mount shown in the pictures on Horizon? I know it won't use the same standard engine mount that would be used for nitro engines.
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:30 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
How about this beauty?

http://www.syssaaircraft.com/cart/pc...&idcategory=11

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:35 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
nice... 30cc? I'll consider it. I was thinking Zenoah in the interest of ordering from one site, and Horizon's excellent support.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:36 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UponorX View Post
nice... 30cc? I'll consider it. I was thinking Zenoah in the interest of ordering from one site, and Horizon's excellent support.
From what I have been reading it's lighter than the 26cc. There is a huge following on RCU on this engine. I've been reading up on them since it's my first choice for my next gas engine.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:19 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...26A#quickSpecs

Why is that cheaper than the G20? It looks like a better choice.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:35 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Would the 20cc power the 125 pulse sufficiently? Or should I put a 26cc on it?could I put a g20 on a pulse 60 xt?
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:45 AM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
FYI - Pulse XT 125 Warning...

I purchased the Pulse XT 125 a few weeks ago and put a .90 2-stroke on it (which was PLENTY of power btw).

About a minute into the first flight, flying level at about 1/2 throttle, the horizontal stab developed major flutter, I lost all elevator control and it went in hard, right into the runway.

The good news is, I called Horizon and they said I'm not the first person to have this problem and there have been a lot of problems with the Pulse 125's tail fluttering and they are sending me a replacement airplane. The bad news is, i'm still out $250 for the engine which was totaled. I'm still in discussions w/ Horizion about them possibly giving me a discount on a new engine but I'm not going to hold my breath.

ANYWAYS! All of that aside, I think the Pulse 125 is an awesome airplane, but no matter what, you have to reinforce the tail or you WILL have problems. I would recommend, at least, taping the elevator hinge, reinforcing the connection between the two elevator halves and finally (and probably the most important) adding some .060 or .070 carbon rods from the tip of the vertical stab to the tips of the horizontal stabs, as well as to the fuselage. You might want to consider adding some covering to the tail to stiffen it up a little more too, but that would probably be a lot of work. This should get rid of any problems with the tail fluttering.

With a 27oz 2-stroke on the front, I had to add a little weight (I didn't measure, but it was a few ounces) to balance it and it was by no means under powered. If you were to put the recommended 1.20 2-stroke on this airplane, it would be a ROCKET (espically if the tail rips off!).

Anyways, I am very happy with the Pulse 125, but the tail definitly needs a little work. For the minute or so it was in the air, it flew like it was on rails.

--Jeremy
jrbackus is offline Find More Posts by jrbackus