HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined May 2010
18 Posts
Discussion
Quad Propeller Guard - Sharing ideas, videos, photos

Hi Guys

I am trying to build some sort of a prop guard for my quad, like the Parrot Drone or something, so that it can become a better park flyer.
A lot of people fly at home and in parks and I think protection is equally important as having a stable flight.

I am looking at plastic, wood, foam, bamboo or anything which is strong and also doesnt hinder the flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDVbk2Sunk
lowfi is offline Find More Posts by lowfi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfi View Post
Hi Guys

I am trying to build some sort of a prop guard for my quad, like the Parrot Drone or something, so that it can become a better park flyer.
A lot of people fly at home and in parks and I think protection is equally important as having a stable flight.

I am looking at plastic, wood, foam, bamboo or anything which is strong and also doesnt hinder the flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDVbk2Sunk
The Parrot Drone guard looks similar to the old Silverlit X-UFO foam guard frame ... it protects fine at low speed and brushes with object but will break if any real force is applied ... same goes for an outer CF ring/rod design ... something more robust will add weight and bulk. Check out this one ... top, bottom, sides ... all around protection.
--Eric--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqbOg-NA_8
tend2it is offline Find More Posts by tend2it
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:09 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tend2it View Post
The Parrot Drone guard looks similar to the old Silverlit X-UFO foam guard frame ... it protects fine at low speed and brushes with object but will break if any real force is applied ... same goes for an outer CF ring/rod design ... something more robust will add weight and bulk.
--Eric--
I am currently designing a shroud that can be used to protect in case a prop breaks, which is probably the most severe failure, short of the craft falling on your head.
: )
And you are right Eric, it does add weight. It all depends if the added weight is a fair trade-off to the added safety it provides.
outsider787 is offline Find More Posts by outsider787
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:26 PM
Quadrotor
San Diego
Joined May 2010
361 Posts
I was thinking about starting a thread like this -- I am working on one as well.

My quad is much bigger than the one in the video above -- it's 8 lbs with payload, and I'll need a cage 3.5 feet across.

Part of the reason (besides safety) is that my craft is top-heavy and tips over easy anyway. I've already broken 2 props.

I'm currently looking at using cheap plastic extensions zip tied to holes in the arms -- I'm using plastic tube sold for hiding wire. 4' costs $4. Then, I'm going to try using 50lbd test fishing string wrapped around (or through) holes drilled in the outermost points.

This is cheap and lightweight, and should reduce damage in a tip-over or bump into something.

Photos later
VCapture is offline Find More Posts by VCapture
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:13 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,529 Posts
I like the Asctec Pelican protection system. Does anyone know if this can be purchased. I get a timeout when I try to go to www.asctec.de.

- Jeff

OK, I can get into their site but it doesn't look like they sell this.
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Jun 02, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:53 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
I was wondering if one of the guys with a CNC machine could cut skeletonized top and bottom shroud plates from G10 and we could use nylon standoffs around the edges. That way they could be used on any quad just pick the right diameter for the prop used. Nothing is going to stand up too good to a full impact from several hunded feet up but G10 is pretty tough stuff.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2010
5 Posts
Quadrotor Design Help!!!

Hi Guys, i have a question. I would be very happy if someone gave me an answer to this. I am using a Futaba 6EX radio control and i am trying to get my micro controller to read the pwm signal from the receiver. i have looked at the signal via an oscilloscope and know the characteristics; frequency, amplitude, duty cycle. Does anyone know a good scheme of reading the signal with uC and then controlling the ESC?
uzykc is offline Find More Posts by uzykc
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzykc View Post
Hi Guys, i have a question. I would be very happy if someone gave me an answer to this. I am using a Futaba 6EX radio control and i am trying to get my micro controller to read the pwm signal from the receiver. i have looked at the signal via an oscilloscope and know the characteristics; frequency, amplitude, duty cycle. Does anyone know a good scheme of reading the signal with uC and then controlling the ESC?
I think you are asking the question in the wrong thread, this thread is only for ideas and questions related to the quad prop protection
lowfi is offline Find More Posts by lowfi