HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:02 PM
UK
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Discussion
WOT4, would you use fuel filters on the plane, or on the pump when filling up tank?

Hi there,

I knew this is more of a preference for some people, my WOT4 came with the tank and the bits for the tank but no fuel filter.

Im going to buy a hand crank fuel pump as per below

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

Where would I filter the fuel? obviously I dont want bits going in to my engine but I dont know if I should somehow filter the fuel on the tank that comes with the WOT4 or if I should somehow buy a filter for the above handcrank fuel pump
dazzyboi is offline Find More Posts by dazzyboi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:16 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,268 Posts
As you say it's personal preference. I wouldn't dream of using any setup that didn't have a filter in the output line from my pump but I generally don't bother with one on the plane. OTOH I know plenty of people who use a filter in the line from tank to carb on the plane. Put 'em wherever you like, it's entirely up to you. After all it's not like they cost much .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:51 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,125 Posts
I don't think many people run filters between the plane's tank to the carb. There's no real point if you're filtering it as it goes from the fuel jug to the tank. Most I've talked to seem to agree that it's an extra hassle on tuning the plane.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
If you have a filter on the feed line from the tank to the carb. remember to fuel only from between the filter and tank! If you fuel into the filter, your catching any crud on the engine side of the filter and you will suck it into the carb. If you fuel from between the filter and the tank, then your building up crud in the tank and may eventually have enough crud in there to block the filter and cause a flame out. I've always felt it better to filter the fuel going into the tank, by having a filter on my fueling line.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:38 AM
UK
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Cool, Thanks for the info

I will buy a fuel filter and filter from the output line on my fuel pump going in to the tank
dazzyboi is offline Find More Posts by dazzyboi
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:11 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,036 Posts
A filter like this in the fuel line will trap any particles of carbon that might manage to come through the muffler pressure line and they're especially useful with new fuel tanks which may have a lot of fine plastic strands left over from the moulding process. These strands are a real problem if they get trapped in the needle valve because they're almost totally invisible. These filters won't cause any tuning problems unless you're using some monster size engine with enormous fuel flow .

The filter I use from the fuel jug is a car fuel filter.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I guess if particles of carbon need trapping and are detrimental to the engine, I would trap them in the vent line and not in the fuel feed line. As far as molding flash is concerned, I make sure there is no crud in the tank, before I install the stopper.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One