HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:02 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,856 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake 1:8 Ansaldo A1 'Balilla'

No - I'm not starting this just yet! Just letting anyone interested know that at some time in the future, I'll be building a 'little' model - the Ansoldo (or Ansaldo) A1 'Balilla'. This diminutive little Italian fighter caught my eye because of its potential for an extravagent paint scheme! With polished aluminium, Varnish wood fuselage, red/white/green wing undersides, hand-painted camoflage and exotic squadron markings, it would be a eyecatching little model. At 1/8 scale, it spans a mere 37 1/2 inches but with enough ribs and subribs to give a SPAD a fright, and a wierdly shaped fuselage that probably gave Peter Rake a headache, she is an interesting little beast. Add to that the strange aileron linkage and we have something I couldn't resist.

Manzano's short kit has 15 sheets of ply, liteply, bass and balsa parts - quite a handful for a small model!

With a SPAD, Hurricane and F2b as current builds this one will be a while starting. But then I have just enlarged my work space...................

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jul 08, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:08 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Yeah, there are rather a lot of parts to this one. I just couldn't see a better way of producing an accurate fuselage other than use keel parts and build it as two shells. Combined with the number of ribs/sub ribs, I doubt that this one will come into the 'lightweight floater' class.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2005
674 Posts
Ballila A.1

Pat, do you have the Datafile on the Ballila? Lots of info in thier-if you need more data I'll be happy to help. Also, I know one of the gentlemen that helped restore the original at the Bergamo Museum in Milano. He is very knowledable on this aircraft & most helpful.

Kind regards,
Dale
Ascolta is offline Find More Posts by Ascolta
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:14 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Should be a lovely model, Pat - 30 colour schemes on the Wings Palette site here;

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/49

Schemes from Greece/Italy/Latvia/Mexico/Poland/Russia...should be something you like in that lot.

Pete seems to be in 'Italian' mood, what with this and the Macchi...wonder if he listens to opera as he's CADing away?? I still prefer a little Motorhead myself.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:49 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Is there any such thing as a little Motorhead mate?
I find them, ans Sabbath quite inspirational - in between the bouts of headbanging. Maybe that's why this one looks heavy.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:24 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
With polished aluminium,...
I don't understand. If it is an Italian plane, why did the use aluminum form Poland.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:35 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
I don't understand. If it is an Italian plane, why did the use aluminum form Poland.

Larry
I think it means the aluminum/aluminium was formed to sounds polka music while eating great quantities of sausage and drinking large mugs of beer. This particular treatment results in happy metal, well disposed to engaging in "dog fights" and other acrobatic "maneuvers."

Now, why the Italians used such a non-native treatment is still a poser, but metal formed to opera, pasta and wine in the same amounts tends to make a more sedate, relaxed metal. Maybe that's why?

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:24 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I think it means the aluminum/aluminium was formed to sounds polka music while eating great quantities of sausage and drinking large mugs of beer. This particular treatment results in happy metal, well disposed to engaging in "dog fights" and other acrobatic "maneuvers."

Now, why the Italians used such a non-native treatment is still a poser, but metal formed to opera, pasta and wine in the same amounts tends to make a more sedate, relaxed metal. Maybe that's why?

James
That's quite a polished piece of narrative James.....

Dale - yes I have that Data file and the restored machine is the one that caught my eye. The only marking I can't make out properly is the big 'badges' on the top of the lower wings. More research needed..

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jun 01, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:43 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,023 Posts
I wonder if Callie can do that kind of artwork?

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,856 Posts
A Colouful Little Beast

I'm sure she could Martin although the original looks rather 'handpainted' but doing three of these wonderful emblems could be a chore - decals?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Jun 02, 2010, 12:27 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
This plane has a sort of SE5-A ish look to the front end, I like that.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:22 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,023 Posts
Pat, the Ansaldo has doubled flying AND landing wires. They appear to have wood filler strips and are taped together over their full length. That would make dismantling a large scale version a PITA - good thing yours is a 1/8 version that would be one piece.
As for the painting - I have wondered what a local art student or other "starving artist" would charge to do the painting.

Martin (with a 1/4 scale version plan half drawn)
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:50 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,856 Posts
I couldn't resist.....

Thanks for that Martin - I'll try and find a way to simulate the look.

With only three (or four or ...six) other projects on the go or on hold, and while waiting for some stuff to dry, the Ansaldo A1 was started

The design is quite Italianate with plenty of curves and potential difficulties but if treated carefully shouldn't be too demanding.

Since my interest in this model was sparked by an outlandish colour scheme, I decided that it would be a simple-ish build low on detail but high on finish. Peter has designed the fuselage to have optional 1/32 balsa covering the entire fuselage or presumably it can be covered in your favourite tissue/film etc. So when my LHS got some 1/32 balsa (rare in Oz) by mistake, it was immediately sorted through for some sheets with a nice grain - not too soft so it should stain nicely.

The first task on this curvy fuselage is to pre-bend some longerons. Since I'll be cladding it, semi-hard balsa will do - use hard if covering with tissue etc. Pieces of 1/8 sq were stripped from a 48" sheet - two lengths are enough for the 4 longerons and these were given a thorough soaking with water (plus a drop of detergent as a wetting agent) before being pinned over the plan, protected with cling film.

The fuselage is made from left and right halves - otherwise building might have been tricky without jigs. A question for Peter - would there be any advantage to skin the fuselage sides while the halves are still pinned to the board?

Since this will take over-night to dry, dont expect too much too soon

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Jun 06, 2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
del
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Last edited by 1post; Jun 17, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Sorry, not intending to intrude or offend
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:37 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Pat,
Although the fuselage should be pretty rigid once joined, it couldn't do any harm to skin the sides while they're held, warp resistant, pinned to the board.

This shot is probably about as good as it gets for rigging detail. Not a bad view of the wing art too.

You've probably seen this, but lots of helpful stuff.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ita/Ansaldo/

Pete