HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by miniphase, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:48 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
872 Posts
Discussion
flutter

flying wing flutter (0 min 25 sec)
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:05 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,876 Posts
Me too....

I've built a prototype flying wing similar , in some ways, to yours. My first flights demonstrated that (click here). it can flutter too. Currently I am stiffening the wing with 2 new cut-in spars.

It's hard to see in the video, but the vertical stabilizer is bobbing up and down about 2 times / second.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:15 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Currently I am stiffening the wing with 2 new cut-in spars.

It's hard to see in the video, but the vertical stabilizer is bobbing up and down about 2 times / second.

Kent
Looks like it gets a good lick on there Kent, I can see the bobbing if I watch it on the youtube page it's clearest at about 2.5 sec in. Does it seem to limit itself?

I'm keen to make a new, stiffer version that I can ballast, but house renovation is taking all my time at the moment
Old Jul 09, 2010, 10:03 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphase View Post
Looks like it gets a good lick on there Kent, I can see the bobbing if I watch it on the youtube page it's clearest at about 2.5 sec in. Does it seem to limit itself?
I'm keen to make a new, stiffer version that I can ballast, but house renovation is taking all my time at the moment
Having a well behaved flying wing will take you through times with no house better than having a house will take you through times with a mis-behaving flying wing.
Sorry that I couldn't get a better video. It would "flap like a bird" under the right conditions. If your control surfaces are very flexible ( as mine were ), it would not stop flapping. See RX in ocean. It is speed dependent. I could simply feed in down trim and start the flutter.
Now, have stiffened the wing and am waiting to for some decent lift to materialized. In addition to the photos, added a full layer of 4oz. glass at 45/45. At 14oz/s.f., this bird is no floater. Pre-ballasted, if you will....This wing is ridiculously stiff now.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Jul 09, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:06 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Having a well behaved flying wing will take you through times with no house better than having a house will take you through times with a mis-behaving flying wing.

Kent
Ha Ha!! I like that Kent.....hopefully that carbon will solve the flutter issues for you. If you still get the stalling issues maybe you could cut a taper into the last 6" or so of the tip leading edges. Reshaping the leading edge here to make it rather blunt may help delay the stall at the tips

I'd very much like to do a 'pre-ballasted' heavy weight for those strong days