SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2010, 01:24 PM
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Discussion
What is a good motor/esc combo for the traxxas bandit xl-5 waterproof model?

I know i could get the velineon system but i was wondering what other non traxxas motor/esc combos could i use? I am looking for the 50-60 mph range nothing slower but would not mind faster. Brush-less is a must unless of course there is a brushed option that can run 50-60 then by all means show me that to. Ive looked around but honestly I'm not sure how to deem whether it will fit my car. I mean I'm sure not all motors that are 1/10th scale ready will fit my car right? anyway thanks in advance! By the way i ride it mostly on dirt but i do run it on concrete for speed runs but I'm not in any racing group or anything so it does not have to be race "legal" just backyard bashing ready :-)
bartgillam is offline Find More Posts by bartgillam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 01:54 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
the castle creations sidewinder or mamba max pro 1/10 would work well, both in the 4600 kv motor combo and on 3s lipo. that will fit you perfectly.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old May 31, 2010, 02:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,366 Posts
50-60 mph back yard bashing, you must have big back yard and very smooth as hitting 60mph with the bandit is going to be very hard and then steering would be out of the question
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 31, 2010, 02:48 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
Thats pretty fast...........The combo Jettrooper mentioned would be the ticket in the 4600/sidewinder on 3s, about 125 bucks.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old May 31, 2010, 04:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
the castle creations sidewinder or mamba max pro 1/10 would work well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
The combo Jettrooper mentioned would be the ticket in the 4600/sidewinder on 3s, about 125 bucks.

Is it waterproof as I believe this was a requirement the O.P was looking for OR not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartgillam View Post
What is a good motor/esc combo for the traxxas bandit xl-5 waterproof model?
Old May 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
His wording is not clear "What is a good motor/esc combo for the traxxas bandit xl-5 waterproof model?"

He should have asked - What is a good waterproof motor/esc combo..................etc.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
No it does not have to be waterproof i was simply stating it was the waterproof model because the waterproof models all come brushless ready :-D. I want the speed for the pavement but i want it a little faster for offroad but i do have a very big smooth field in my backyard (i have like 50 or so acres to drive around on) Also if you could find a waterproof setup besides the velineon that is waterproof that would be great also but the previously mention castle creations setup seems very nice and is a very good price. I just need to replace my receiver because traxxas claims of "waterproof" are not entirely accurate as i accidentally drove the bandit into a pool and although i drove it from the deep end to the shallow end completely submerged to retrieve it the receiver got water into it so i will also be looking at receivers but im trying to find a combo transmitter and receiver but thats for another topic.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:58 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
Yep..............thats how I understood it. You worded it correctly, and if you want the waterproof why not go with the Velineon? The motor is a horse........esc is OK............has some issues. The 4600/SW will not disappoint you if you go that route.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:02 AM
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
Well i was just checking out other options :-) plus if the castle creations is 125ish for the 4600 as someone said (although i could find it lowest at 149) then it would be cheaper that route. Side by side which system would push the bandit faster on road the velineon or the sidewinder? Im not against the velineon at all because of my pool mishap it might be better anyway. And on another note because i feel its a waste of space to start another thread...does anyone know of a truly waterproof esc box? The traxxas one is 100% not waterproof and i know this firsthand. I know i could use 2 balloons and wrap it up but id much prefer a permanent solution heh
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:58 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
$124.95 and free shipping -> http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations...item563ccd9d21
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,366 Posts
So far the suggestions have been for CC at around 125$, if I remember correctly I got my VXL-3 and Velineon motor for the same and maybe less on ebay and its waterproof even if thats not a major benefit for you.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:08 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
I'll agree that the velineon is overal a decent setup, but i know two guys here who have them, and the esc seems to always give them trouble.............especially with the button on it that always sticks "in" when you push it to program it or turn it on. There have been alot of mods done by pulling the casing off and redrilling the hole a bit bigger.............Hmmmmm.

The motor is very good.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
17 Posts
hmm well maybe i could do a little mix and match perhaps? castle esc and velineon motor? Im not buying at this particular moment just doing research. I figure its better to find out way in advance then do my research 2 days before buying it. I was almost considering just buying a brushless rtr bandit but then i realized that wouldnt make any sense except i would have brushless and the new ones are 2.4 ghz which would be nice since mine is 27mhz
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
the esc seems to always give them trouble ....especially with the button on it that always sticks "in" when you push it to program it or turn it on. There have been alot of mods done by pulling the casing off and redrilling the hole a bit bigger.............Hmmmmm.
The motor is very good.
Opening the case to add a drop of silicon oil would of solve this issues without having to drill anything. I know cause thats all it took for mine.

Its the rubber seals sticking to the plastic that causes this, the seal are their for waterproofing.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:21 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartgillam View Post
hmm well maybe i could do a little mix and match perhaps? castle esc and velineon motor? Im not buying at this particular moment just doing research. I figure its better to find out way in advance then do my research 2 days before buying it. I was almost considering just buying a brushless rtr bandit but then i realized that wouldnt make any sense except i would have brushless and the new ones are 2.4 ghz which would be nice since mine is 27mhz

You nailed it on the combo! Alot of the experienced guys are running a Castle esc with a Velineon motor............They all seem happy as far as i know.