SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
Very nice, but I couldn't justify the added expense of making it compatible with my DX6i. If HH made one for DSM2 that flew as well as the Champ, I'd buy one in a second! I've been flying the wings off this thing. I've flown in my front yard, in the park across the street, and even in my church's single basketball court gymnasium. Sunday evening, I let my neighbor fly it on a buddy box. He's never flown anything but control line (many, many years ago), and he had no problems handling the Champ. So easy, even a caveman could do it!
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,860 Posts
I've had the privilege of flying both the P-51 and the Champ, so I hope you'll find my input to be valuable.

The P-51 is very responsive and requires a really gentle hand on the stick. However, it won't roll, so that responsiveness can be toned down somewhat if you bind it to a big Spektrum radio with exponential, like a DX6i. The one I flew was bound to a DX7, but without any expo added.

On the other hand,the Champ flies like a dream. Very smooth, very gentle and very scalelike. It feels like a much larger model. It'll even handle a light breeze since it has so much power. It climbs like a rocket if you give it too much throttle but like any rudder-steered model, will go into a downward "death spiral" if you hold the rudder too far over.

Man, I want one of my own.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
USA, CA, Hayward
Joined May 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Love my Champ -- try to fly it every day.

I'm wearing out the VELCRO on the battery holder. Got some from the Dollar store, but it is thicker. No problem w/ the plane, but keeps the battery from fitting into the charger.

Anybody find some good THIN velcro ??
Most Fabric stores should have this. Velcro Clear Sticky Back p/n 91327. The UPC code is 0 75967 91327 4
I found it at Jo Ann fabrics. This is a package of 4 sets which is enough to do a few dozen batteries. Just wipe the batteries with rubbing alcohol first before applying. Let it set up overnight and it won't easily come off. Keep the loop half (fuzzy stuff) in case you need to redo the aircraft.....

Cheers.... Don
Donaldo Gordini is offline Find More Posts by Donaldo Gordini
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
754 Posts
We now carry replacement hook and loop strips.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1039

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is online now Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:27 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
We now carry replacement hook and loop strips.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1039

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Thanks for chiming in with that info, Matt.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,390 Posts
The same item as I had listed with attached photos of the product on post #91 7-15-2010

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=91
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
What you really need:

http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page...e-backed-clear

Part#91326

Works perfectly...I got mine at a Michaels Craft store...$3.50

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
What kind of flight times are you guys getting with the stock motor and stock battery? I got a 25 minute flight yesterday morning in the calm air under an awesome sunrise. That flight was done at about 40% throttle or less while just cruising around with a handful of touch-n-goes. Fun stuff!

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:48 AM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Ive flown mine so much the bottom of the rudder has separated again!
oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfield1 View Post
Ive flown mine so much the bottom of the rudder has separated again!
I am using Scotch Multitasking tape as a hinge on both the rudder and elevator.

I cut six 1/2" pieces for the rudder and tape three on each side, four on the top part and two below the elevator where it is stressed more because of the tail wheel connection.

On the elevator I cur a total of twelve pieces, six pieces for the top and six for the bottom. So far they are holding nicely.

3M Blenderm brand name "ostomy" tape is even better, but Dubro sells it for $5 as DUBRO HINGE TAPE for 5 yard roll whereas one can get it a a pharmacy dealing in ostomy medical supplies for $2.39 the same 5 yard roll. Both are labeled "3M Blenderm" inside the roll.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I am using Scotch Multitasking tape as a hinge on both the rudder and elevator.

I cut six 1/2" pieces for the rudder and tape three on each side, four on the top part and two below the elevator where it is stressed more because of the tail wheel connection.

On the elevator I cur a total of twelve pieces, six pieces for the top and six for the bottom. So far they are holding nicely.

3M Blenderm brand name "ostomy" tape is even better, but Dubro sells it for $5 as DUBRO HINGE TAPE for 5 yard roll whereas one can get it a a pharmacy dealing in ostomy medical supplies for $2.39 the same 5 yard roll. Both are labeled "3M Blenderm" inside the roll.
Thanks for the tip...im gonna have to run up to walgreens later to see if I can find some.I guess i can start building my Trex 250se in the meantime.
oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfield1 View Post
Thanks for the tip...im gonna have to run up to walgreens later to see if I can find some.I guess i can start building my Trex 250se in the meantime.
BLENDERM HERE

Scotch Multitask @ Michael's, Staples, Walmart, even CVS drug stores. It is shiny and transparent. When used over MonoKote it becomes almost invisible. Blenderm is opaque and extremely pliable.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
272 Posts
Champ Maiden Report

My Champ arrived!

Checked everything - all working as should be, charged the tiny battery, read the manual. Read the manual again. Saturday comes around and fairly calm it home with just a bit of wind, so grab a couple of heli's & the champ and head off.

First two parks were full of people, but a 30 minute drive I found a nice quiet open park that was unfortunately very exposed to the elements on top of a high bluff back from the coast. Started with the heli's, a bit of hovering practice and slow scale flight not above 15 feet.

So now take out the champ, run through in my mind how to hand launch, thinking there is too much wind for any flight let alone first flight. And there was, around 10 knots solid with slight extra gusts. But I've come this far and if I keep it low it should be right. (what was I thinking?)

Might need extra throttle into this breeze, so full throttle, head high and level and push it in to the breeze. It flies straight out, and goes into a steady level climb, couldn't be easier, it then started to climb real fast, then I did a very quick loop, I still can't remember if I meant to do it, but it was fun, so I did another, man this is great and so so easy to fly.

Then things changed - then I turned left to get a feel for the rudder controls, and it fairly hooted out there with a bit of breeze assist, thinking I should ease off the throttle, next thing it's behind me, and heading for some trees, heading straight into one now, big wild turn just in time, now it's more behind me and it's gone another 30 foot up in a flash - how did it get there?? . I'm thinking I remember in the forums, they said DO NOT LET IT GET DOWNWIND! OK, stay calm, but this breeze seemed to be cyclonic the 70 or so feet up that the Champ was, but that's good, no trees up there, but bad as orientation was getting tricky. Don't have enough control, so pressed down right stick, heard the click, (didn't have time look at the red light to see if solid). A bit more control now, I think that's a good thing.

I decided to get it down fast, so full throttle, a bit of down elevator, it seemed to be frozen in time up there, - solid, stable, just not moving, then a slight ease in the breeze, then down way too fast, just managed to level her out, full throttle into the breeze, and what seemed like half an hour later, but only 5 minutes, I finally had it at head height, going 1/2 a mile an hour and slowly toward the ground, when it was one foot of the ground I eased back from 3/4 throttle to next to none and it landed like a butterfly just softly straight down onto the grass. Phew, lucky.

Realised that the Champ must be the easiest plane in the world to fly, otherwise it would be somewhere in the 10 miles of bush I had behind me.

I now look forward to never flying it in anything other than a zephyr of a breeze, or no breeze at all. I think I got lucky.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Exciting flight report, Fiz! Glad you got it back safely. These things are fun in a little breeze as long as it is steady. Dead calm air is fun too, but sometimes having a little breeze to slow the groundspeed makes it interesting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:53 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I've picked up these $1.99 rolls of genuine 3M Blenderm tape at my local pharmacy (not a big chain pharmacy). Good stuff and really sticks well.

The standard rolls are 1-inch in width (I think), but I picked up a narrow roll from Radical RC at SEFF this year. It's about 1/2" wide and comes in handy when you don't have to cut the wide one into strips for small uses.

Andy
RCG Plus Member