HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
I'm new to rc planes, but seeing me fly the champ you wouldn't know it. What a super beginner plane..... I'm just worried that I'm overconfident and will want a new "more agile" plane very soon...... already checked out the p-51..... that thing looks cool!!!
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley0826 View Post
I'm new to rc planes, but seeing me fly the champ you wouldn't know it. What a super beginner plane..... I'm just worried that I'm overconfident and will want a new "more agile" plane very soon...... already checked out the p-51..... that thing looks cool!!!
You will...

YEP! And it could bite you hard too if not careful...
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
251 Posts
Hi,

I've read this thread from start to finish and this is the only one I've ever read where there is not one negative comment. This little Champ sounds perfect.

I've never flown an rc plane (I tried unsucessfully 15 years back with toy rc planes), but a couple of years back got into rc helis, first co-ax's, then fixed pitched, then finally CP helis (blade 400 and Trex 450 sport), which I can now fly OK, but just scale.

I only really got to fly the CP's properly after putting in some time with a pheonix sim. Whilst in the sim I tried some planes and for the first time ever I could fly them too (I figure all that heli flying must translate and educate the thumbs).

So after reading this thread I've ordered the Champ, and I should have it by this weekend to do my maiden on. I'll post my results, but by the sounds of it I should just love it and be able to fly straight off the bat.

I was thinking of the micro J3 cub, but apparently the prop shaft breaks ever second time you land, so the Champ sounds stronger and more stable and all reound perfection.

As a thread this is a marketer's dream, Horizon Hobbies should be paying you all.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:12 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,448 Posts
Yea. I secound that. What up Horizon? hahaha. Dreams. happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fiz View Post
Hi,

I've read this thread from start to finish and this is the only one I've ever read where there is not one negative comment. This little Champ sounds perfect.

I've never flown an rc plane (I tried unsucessfully 15 years back with toy rc planes), but a couple of years back got into rc helis, first co-ax's, then fixed pitched, then finally CP helis (blade 400 and Trex 450 sport), which I can now fly OK, but just scale.

I only really got to fly the CP's properly after putting in some time with a pheonix sim. Whilst in the sim I tried some planes and for the first time ever I could fly them too (I figure all that heli flying must translate and educate the thumbs).

So after reading this thread I've ordered the Champ, and I should have it by this weekend to do my maiden on. I'll post my results, but by the sounds of it I should just love it and be able to fly straight off the bat.

I was thinking of the micro J3 cub, but apparently the prop shaft breaks ever second time you land, so the Champ sounds stronger and more stable and all reound perfection.

As a thread this is a marketer's dream, Horizon Hobbies should be paying you all.
I started with the CX2, then Sim then B400, then a 4 channel brushless conversion space scooter and then the brushless stryker. From there I've been going backwards to the Micro stuff I can fly in front yard street.

I can bet you will have no issue with the Champ...
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:26 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
251 Posts
Funny thing, after all of the time I spent finally getting to fly heli's, which I really enjoy, when I was flying planes in the SIM I was actually enjoying flying them more than heli's.

So I can see another slow and steady progression to flying a bigger faster plane, I have my eye on a spitfire, which was an increadible amount of fun on the SIM. I know it doesn't translate exactly and that I couldn't just fly one for real right now, but it has given me the taste & I've caught the fixed wing bug!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Both are fun to fly for many reasons, Kind of the same, but again two diff worlds. I stepped into fixed wing because I had the urge for FFF but wasn't ready for that on the heli. Now that I have the FFF out of my system, I am finding the Micro fliers to be very fun for that one handed flying slow lazy floating around in the sky err sky being 12-30 feet off the ground. lol
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,311 Posts
Quote:
YEAH! Horizon I want my "cut" too...

All kidding aside, Horizon should be commended on this line of models, just as they should also be commended for the great customer service they have.

While there are other distributors that are supportive of their customers, I doubt any of them will bend way over backwards for theirs as Horizon does.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
251 Posts
I agree about Horizon Hobbies fantastic customer service.

I had some real problems with my blade SR (tail motor burning out straight away and swash plate separating mid flight - crash unavoidable then).

I emailed them and advised of all the money I had spent and how disenchanted I was and they sent me (to Australia) lots of free spares, including rotor blades, a swash plate, and a couple of upgraded DD tail motors.

That kept me a happy customer!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Sounds real familiar! I started with coaxials and then got a micro Citabria two years ago. Never looked back at the helis. Wanted something a little stronger than the Citabria and have purchased quite a few planes but when I got the Champ, it was exactly what I had been looking for. I don't think you will have any problems either.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
150 Posts
There is no doubt that HH hit a home run with the Champ. I bought mine from my LHS but there are an awful lot going via mail order and eBay and I would be interested to know just how many they have sold.

I think the icing on the cake is that, given a decent amount of success with the Champ, that should encourage them to continue the trend and release more low-cost RTFs or BNFs.

What do you think might be a good follow-on for them to sell next? I would love to see a nice stable bipe that could be flown tame or wild, depending on settings.

I would even spend as much as $99 for it!
Nunja Business is offline Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:02 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
+1 on the bipe...

A WWI micro warbird would be SWEET!
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:15 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,448 Posts
I would like to see them do a micro corsair with retracts. hehe. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:18 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
A WWI micro warbird would be SWEET!
Well, if you insist.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236624
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:18 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,311 Posts
Pretty looking Albatros. Expected arrival/availability date: Late September. Price $79.99...

Flyzone Albatros @ Tower