Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:06 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,400 Posts
Adding photo and url to velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Love my Champ -- try to fly it every day.

I'm wearing out the VELCRO on the battery holder. Got some from the Dollar store, but it is thicker. No problem w/ the plane, but keeps the battery from fitting into the charger.

Anybody find some good THIN velcro ??
I bought some at my LHS under the brand name of ParkZone. Not cheap, $4.99 (that's what they charged me) for a pack containing hook strips and button like pieces of loop material. Enough for five batteries. I see the ones advertised on Horizon's Hobby site are not round as mine were. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1039

I should try a fabric store to see if I can get it cheaper there.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Last edited by qban_flyer; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Adding url to P/Z velcro and photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Well got my champ back together again and linked it to my dx6i...this could be favorite plane I ever owned and at just $30 to replace the whole airframe...the cheapest!
oilfield1 is offline Find More Posts by oilfield1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:36 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,032 Posts
Had mine since they first came out. Love the little bugger. Have many hours in the full scale version. Can someone post a picture of the floats mentioned earlier in this thread, and weather they worked or not. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Had mine since they first came out. Love the little bugger. Have many hours in the full scale version. Can someone post a picture of the floats mentioned earlier in this thread, and weather they worked or not. Tom
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274849
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,032 Posts
Thanks. They seem to work pretty well. Reminds me of my GWS Bearer on floats. With no wind it was pretty good. If the wind was blowing it would always blow up side down. Drove me nuts. Thanks again for that link. I'll save it for a later date. I already have two float planes and a flying boat. Tom
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:26 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
Well I got my Champ AND DX5e yesterday!!! Of coarse I was the last stop for the FedEx guy.

Naturally it's windy as hell today here, 94 F. and humid as hell but REALLY windy. Hopefully at dusk it'll calm down enough. Took me a little bit to bind it to the DX5e but I finally figured it out. I need more patients!

She's a BEAUTY!
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,032 Posts
I have flown mine comfortably in 8 mph winds. Just go above the treeline to get rid of turbulence and she flies great. Floats would be really fun.
Tom, formerly from the Hudson Valley
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:05 PM
Bend, Oregon
Joined Mar 2010
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Love my Champ -- try to fly it every day.

I'm wearing out the VELCRO on the battery holder. Got some from the Dollar store, but it is thicker. No problem w/ the plane, but keeps the battery from fitting into the charger.

Anybody find some good THIN velcro ??
I picked up some velcro at our local Home Depot. They have numerous kinds to choose from, and it is only a few bucks a package
Piper Cub Man is offline Find More Posts by Piper Cub Man
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:35 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
Just took the champ out for a flight on the first calm day since ived owned it....i loved it before when flying it in the wind...on a calm day i love it even more!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfield1 View Post
Just took the champ out for a flight on the first calm day since ived owned it....i loved it before when flying it in the wind...on a calm day i love it even more!

Great! I've had mine 2 days now and it's been too windy to try it. Figures!

Have FUN!
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
Team Destruction
USA, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
187 Posts
also I put my 808 mini cam on it and it seems to handle it with no probs so as soon as i have my sd card ill post some vids!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:51 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
The Champ is, indeed, a great little plane to fly. From my experiences to date with the plane, it's easier to fly than the UM J-3 Cub, more forgiving, better as a "first" plane. However, the J-3 is a bit quicker and for me, more precise in its movements. I like them both for what they are. Both will handle windy conditions better than what one might expect, the Champ actually doing a bit better in the wind, IMHO. OTOH, the Champ's stock motor gave up the ghost after 18 flights! Replaced it with the UM P-51 Mustang motor. Lousey milage, compared to the stock Champ motor, but slightly better performance. Great planes, all of them, in my ever growing micro fleet.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:55 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
Sounds like everyone is having fun with these Champs. I had both my sons (6 and 4) out the other day and both were able to keep the Champ up in the air by themselves for a little bit before Daddy had to save it!

I think I'll bind mine to my DX7 and set them up with the buddy box to get them some better practice.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
The Champ is, indeed, a great little plane to fly. From my experiences to date with the plane, it's easier to fly than the UM J-3 Cub, more forgiving, better as a "first" plane. However, the J-3 is a bit quicker and for me, more precise in its movements. I like them both for what they are. Both will handle windy conditions better than what one might expect, the Champ actually doing a bit better in the wind, IMHO. OTOH, the Champ's stock motor gave up the ghost after 18 flights! Replaced it with the UM P-51 Mustang motor. Lousey milage, compared to the stock Champ motor, but slightly better performance. Great planes, all of them, in my ever growing micro fleet.

RD
did/have you ever flown the Citabria? to compare to the J-3 or Champ.

18 flights doesn't sound like very many. I probably got 4x that on the citabria motor. and at least 18 of them was in wind and just staring at the nose and kiting it in place. I replaced the citabria motor with a CX2 motor (used) worked better but only lasted 6 flights

and wind is a somewhat loose term, as a steady wind isn't bad, but the gusty winds, will make for some unexpected flight characteristics, and require many recoveries, lol... as In I've flown the Citabria in wind, that folded and broke my wing when I was holding the citabria in my hand. CA fixed it though
too many trees to actually get out and enjoy my micro P-51. unless straight up one street, and then down the next is enjoyable. fun but, not as enjoyable as just putting around. The lazy kind of enjoyable flying.

I haven't flown the j-3 or Champ just curious.

Vapor, citabria, micro P-51, slow stick, multiplex space scooter, brushless stryker, blade 400, msr, and the cx2 family. and money is tight, so trying to decide on the j-3 or champ to replace the so very worn out Citabria.. plus I want to use my dx6i (and can't bind my citabria)
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:26 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
I would reccomend the Champ over the j-3 Cub. I replaced the motor, gearbox, shaft, prop, and spinner on my Cub to a Mustang setup. It has alot of power now. I turned it down some with my dx6i. It will fly straight and level, on my weakest/oldest battery for about 10 solid minutes with just a little throttle. I do mean just a little. Less than 1/4 even. Maybe more like 2/10th. I even caught it out of the air last night. haha. It is way more fun now than stock. But, the Champ needs nothing. Right out of the box it is a winner and a pleasure to fly. Happy Flying. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy