SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
actually..... Would the Champ be better for a payload than the J-3 ?

Like the key fob camera
I have a notion the camera would be a bit heavy for the Champ's wing and its power plant to carry along. After all, the Champ AUW RTF is 1.3 oz.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
I think the fob camera is 10gram without the plastic case.

I like the looks of the j-3 better, is the champ really that much of a better flier?

and I now fly my Citabria in all kinds of wind. like where elevation tacking is required to move forward..lol is that a word term?
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
I think the fob camera is 10gram without the plastic case.

I like the looks of the j-3 better, is the champ really that much of a better flier?

and I now fly my Citabria in all kinds of wind. like where elevation tacking is required to move forward..lol is that a word term?
The Champ AUW is roughly 36.5 gr, so you will be adding close to 28% of its natural weight to it. I don't think its landing gear and wing were designed to carry that extra load.

The J-3s that I have flown (four of them so far) have had a tendency to tip stall. The Champ, OTOH does not, thus making it a more predictable and reliable flyer.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:14 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
The Champ AUW is roughly 36.5 gr, so you will be adding close to 28% of its natural weight to it. I don't think its landing gear and wing were designed to carry that extra load.
Head on over to the main Champ thread and you will see over a dozen videos with the Champ flying just fine with the key fob camera. (Minus case)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...16910&page=110
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Last edited by Pete Miller; Jul 14, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:07 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
Head on over to the main Champ thread and you will see over a dozen videos with the Champ flying just fine with the key fob camera. (Minus case)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...16910&page=110
All three videos confirm what I suspected all along. The main landing gear is not sturdy enough to carry the extra payload.

One can hear and see it collapsing under load, especially in the third one, where the scrapes on the right side of the horizontal stab and elevator are clearly visible. Scrapes I believe to have been caused by a right main gear leg collapse.

For aerial photography or videography I use my Slow Stick, which I have flown in more confined areas than the one where those clips were made. My Champ is my carry in the car with me at all times fun flying machine.

THXS for posting a link to those videos, they were fun to watch.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
All three videos confirm what I suspected all along. The main landing gear is not sturdy enough to carry the extra payload.

One can hear and see it collapsing under load, especially in
LOL who say I can land (correctly) anyways My Citabria is beat up.

maybe I should work on that, I'd say I have 10% nice landing ratio. Nose dive it into grass usually because one the landing gear hits it tips anyways. and then Of course there is the last min flare, tip stall, and plop landing. Or usually it is because I can get away with the craziest landings, and the citabria is one tough cookie. psst I don't land my m P-51 this way though, lol

I imagine the Champ follows this same toughness?

and this topic also has me swinging towards the Champ now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274849

Originally I was like Champ vs j-3 , I think the cub looks better... but the link I showed above, from youtube you can find his cub on floats. Nice job on that too, but from what I seen in videos for performance the Champ rocks.
And I am guessing that the cub = my citabria, but the Champ is a little more stable.

Only question left is I know my citabria can and does handle the wind very well,, adding 3" to wingspan...I am not sure about the Champ. I am talking wind where there is on the spot take off. and even flying backwards from the grounds point of view. will the Champ handle that?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
Flew mine this morning in 12 mph winds. How's that?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
sounds good
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Maiden Flight Report

I maidened the Champ tonight. It flew perfect straight out of the box with no adjustments or trimming. It looped with plenty of authority, but I did see that torque roll at the top of the loop on my first try. Had to throttle way back to get it right. It climbed steadily at anything above 1/3 throttle. I actually got high enough to harass a swarm of chimney swifts. They started following the Champ around. Funny stuff. I got it to spiral down for some low-n-slow and was able to keep it comfortably inside a tennis court at eye level for many circuits. I did a few touch-and-go's and the fun finally ended when one of the tires popped off. I lost the retainer. Off to do repair work. By the time I got the LG working and reinstalled, the weather had taken a bad turn.

I have absolutely no criticisms about this plane. It is abosolutely the easiest plane I have ever flown. Perfect for the rank beginner or seasoned pilot. If you are even thinking about getting one, RUN, don't walk to your nearest LHS or internet connection and take the plunge. You won't regret it.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:28 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
LOL who say I can land (correctly) anyways My Citabria is beat up.

maybe I should work on that, I'd say I have 10% nice landing ratio. Nose dive it into grass usually because one the landing gear hits it tips anyways. and then Of course there is the last min flare, tip stall, and plop landing. Or usually it is because I can get away with the craziest landings, and the citabria is one tough cookie. psst I don't land my m P-51 this way though, lol

I imagine the Champ follows this same toughness?

and this topic also has me swinging towards the Champ now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274849

Originally I was like Champ vs j-3 , I think the cub looks better... but the link I showed above, from youtube you can find his cub on floats. Nice job on that too, but from what I seen in videos for performance the Champ rocks.
And I am guessing that the cub = my citabria, but the Champ is a little more stable.

Only question left is I know my citabria can and does handle the wind very well,, adding 3" to wingspan...I am not sure about the Champ. I am talking wind where there is on the spot take off. and even flying backwards from the grounds point of view. will the Champ handle that?
LOL...

Flown mine in as high as 7 MPH (gusting to over 10), if it can be called flying.

WOT was barely making headway, so I throttled back a bit and hovered it down in tall weeds (3 plus feet tall). I won't try that again, though.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:30 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Was it fun?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
the mcx motor patch for the citabria didn't last long, of course it was one that had been taken out of a used mcx. ohh and one of my better landings because I seemed to have lost my elevator. so it was a nice glide float down perfect landing, go figure.

anyways... I just lost my fun plane.. motor is toast

Time for a Champ!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
The UPS man didn't show up until around 7.... had company so I wasn't able to tear into it until around 8. Still was able to charge one battery and get it up in the air..... so used to flying heli's that It took me a few minutes to get it down but wow, this thing is a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!

I did a nose dive once and I think the prop is bent a little... any pics of what it is supposed to look like anywhere?
jbrinkley0826 is offline Find More Posts by jbrinkley0826
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Was it fun?
Well, you don't do a lot of low and slow and touch and goes when it is blowing like that.

Mostly get it up high and fly it around. It is neat to turn downwind, cut throttle, get it inverted and blast along. Launches are by hand, just hold it, go to full throttle, let go, and it goes straight up. It will make forward progress and get right up there and out there. Then turn downwind and try to bring it in. Had it sit above me one evening with throttle cut at about 50 feet and it just sat motionless and would't come down. Flew it like a kite and eventually got it down. Kept it straight into the wind and it eventually settled straight down to the ground and landed with no forward motion.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,786 Posts
Love my Champ -- try to fly it every day.

I'm wearing out the VELCRO on the battery holder. Got some from the Dollar store, but it is thicker. No problem w/ the plane, but keeps the battery from fitting into the charger.

Anybody find some good THIN velcro ??
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve