HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Would you believe it was the UM J-3 Cub that introduced me to windy weather flying with a micro!
I love flying that little J-3. It's my choice in wind as well - 15 + mph is no problem. You can always get upwind with a full throttle dive. Experience with 3D helis makes stick movements with this micro in wind seem natural.

After breaking a series of prop shafts with less than conventional landings in gusty conditions I learned to knock the broken shaft out of the prop and push the prop onto the now thread-less shaft. No more broken shafts now.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,268 Posts
I eventually replaced the stock J3 motor with the Mustang motor. Thicker shaft, more power.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:44 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Some fun this week with the Champ!

We had the perfect wind - just enough to provide loft with some thermals and flew 15-20min/battery at 25% throttle and some power off gliding as well.

Just a hoot for 2h with myself and a buddy who also has a champ. I got mine up to 500' before a police heli came by and I was higher than the helo! Used my DX6i on max throws, -10 expos

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:41 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,268 Posts
I let my son-in-law fly mine today. First time he's ever flown an R/C plane and, other than crashing into a house one time, he did just great.

He proclaimed it 'the most fun thing he'd ever done.' Not sure how my daughter should feel about that.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Having fun with the new BL champ...

I recently (actually planned 1.5 yrs ago!) finished a BL champ a few weeks back. I used a A05 3700Kv BL motor (1S) and a Turnigy 1S ESC (T5A-1S). An AR6400L Rx and brand new spare champ parts I had since 2010 fall.

Well, the system works superbly! I get slightly better flight times and power out of the system, though the trade off is a slightly heavier plane by about 5-6g or so. That is non trivial, however, the power system is very nice, and I am able to do more crazy stuff better with the AR6400L (long throws on the servos). I actually run nominal around 85% for the rudder, and 90% for the elevator, and this thing really zings along!

I flew it last night about 8x (so for around 1.5h total flight time) in moderate 5mph wind, and it handled it great. I even had the plane up at around 500 feet at one point during a flight, just barely turning the prop, and caught some updraft/thermal lift to just cruise around for quite awhile!

The plane requires a fast landing approach (due to the weight) and I have to be careful not to stall it during TD, as the stall is a bit more severe than stock. However, so far no issues, per se. Flying in a grassy field.

The BL motor is mounted on some 1/32" ply as a firewall, and the motor has a bit more noise than the stock brushed system. At ~40% throttle, there is a resonance freq of the motor than somehow attracts dragonflies to it!

They follow it as if it is emitting a siren song to them. I have had upwards of 8 at one time, all following along with the plane, really neat to watch, I'll try to catch it on video sometime...

I use my DX6i Tx for flying this plane. Really enjoyable, and the ESC and motor can run successive flights in general without heating up.

Cheers all! If anyone is curious, check out my blog on the build... Those Turnigy T5A-1S (hobbyking) ESCs are superb!

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jul 31, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:42 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I let my son-in-law fly mine today. First time he's ever flown an R/C plane and, other than crashing into a house one time, he did just great.

He proclaimed it 'the most fun thing he'd ever done.' Not sure how my daughter should feel about that.
Hahahahaha!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Pitts RC Plane Crash
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
My son just purchased a Hobbyzone Champ and we have a question. FYI - this is our first RC airplane, we're used to rc helicopters. After you plugin the battery and then turn on the transmitter, does the motor always run? I figured that the motor would shutoff with the throttle all the way down. Does the motor stay on while transmitter is on?

Thx
jerrymatt is offline Find More Posts by jerrymatt
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:49 AM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymatt View Post
My son just purchased a Hobbyzone Champ and we have a question. FYI - this is our first RC airplane, we're used to rc helicopters. After you plugin the battery and then turn on the transmitter, does the motor always run? I figured that the motor would shutoff with the throttle all the way down. Does the motor stay on while transmitter is on?

Thx
I believe that when you plug the battery in without the transmitter on it goes into bind mode. Once you bind it you need to turn the transmitter on first.
dataylor57 is offline Find More Posts by dataylor57
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
43 Posts
Turn transmitter on first, never plug battery in or turn on receiver first.
rule of rc of any kind.
On the plane when you do that it is not binding with transmitter and soit will not respond toit
saddlehorse is offline Find More Posts by saddlehorse
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
champ parts Up for sale

Compete electronics for Hobbyzone champ http://www.ebay.com/itm/300884962263...84.m1555.l2649
Archi Bald is offline Find More Posts by Archi Bald
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:00 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
Compete electronics for Hobbyzone champ http://www.ebay.com/itm/300884962263...84.m1555.l2649
Pm me about the electronics. I'm intersted.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:00 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Amainhobbies are selling new RTF CHamps for $58.99 (limit 2)
I bought two!

If you're ready, the E-Flite Aeronca Champ .32 ARF is $119.00

I bought one!
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:51 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Champ #2

I had a brick from a UM Corsair I crashed a while back and decided to build another Champ. I went to my LHS and $35 later, I had my next project underway. I thought about installing the ailerons from the Corsair but decided against it. I have the new UM P-51D Mustang for that sort of flying. Another nice floaty Champ was just what I needed. I installed the brick and motor, assembled and installed the pushrods, and gave her a few extra touches. I loaded her into my DX7s and mixed AIL>RUD because the Corsair brick had the rudder on the left stick. Here are some pictures...
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Last edited by chickenwing; Jun 03, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Continued from post #868...

Apparently, my iPhone will only download one picture at a time.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Continued from post #868...

Larger tires...