HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Hey mike, we love to hear stories like that. you'll besuprised how esily repairs can be made, and how they last.

Always a bettertx for better flgiht control. keep her flying

Adaboys to ya
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Yeah, good job with the Champ. I just got home from SEFF and I saw tons of Champs there. I would have taken my little one, but I ran out of room in the car. Took my Night Vapor instead for flying in the calm night air. Fun!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
I haven't flown the Champ much (a neighbor gave it to me a little while ago.) Last night was almost calm, which is very rare here, so I had the Champ out and was tooling gently around. I usually fly 5-6 minutes, as I have no good way to measure battery voltage on these tiny batteries, but I decided to let it fly till LVC.

19 minutes 20 seconds on a 160mAh. I was pretty impressed.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
I've enjoyed my Champ over the last several months, after 25 years out of RC, raising a child with medical problems. My, how the hobby has changed from my Great Planes Trainer 40 w/K&B .40 gas. I bought RealFlight 6 and got my basic skills back. I found a Champ for the simulator on the RealFlight forums. I discovered that it was a bit off, after flying a spell. If anyone wants the revised sim file, let me know.

I was making some minor repairs to a crack in the Hstab, reached and found the wrong CA, and watched a remake of the scenes from the Aliens movies. You know, the ones where the alien's blood falls to the floor and eats through to the bedrock? I just fabricated replacement parts, thanks to Hefty foam plates and a piece of packing material someone had put into the apartment complex's dumpster.

I'll be making my own planes again. I found that Genpack (a food services supplier) makes a nice 14x18 inch foam tray with a 1/2 inch rim. A pack of 100 set me back 35 bucks and will probably last me until I'm pushing up daises.

Long ago, I was a rubber FF person, building peanut through rubber scale. I made several successful FF autogiros. I'm thinking about pulling some plans from the old, dusty box, buying the Champ replacement fuse, with electronics, and seeing if I can make a GiroChamp. I'll let y'all know.

Best,
David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I've enjoyed my Champ over the last several months, after 25 years out of RC, raising a child with medical problems. My, how the hobby has changed from my Great Planes Trainer 40 w/K&B .40 gas. I bought RealFlight 6 and got my basic skills back. I found a Champ for the simulator on the RealFlight forums. I discovered that it was a bit off, after flying a spell. If anyone wants the revised sim file, let me know
Welcome back to the hobby, the Champ is a great way to get started.

Enjoy,
Drew
dataylor57 is offline Find More Posts by dataylor57
Old May 01, 2012, 05:52 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,396 Posts
The Champ is a sweet, gentle little plane. Flown over grass, it's about indestructible. It'll never be a stunt plane but if you move everything to high throws and push the battery back a bit, it becomes pretty spry.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old May 05, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
hey guys, im new to rc planes, i have some time on some helos, but i wanted to give fixed wing a shot. I bought the champ and so far on 2 flights i love it, but she just seems to want to climb. Even at 50% throttle. I have tried some trim adjustments but im so new i am not quite sure if its me or the wind or the plane. My question is when i am looking at the elevator pre flight, what position should it be in? should it all be dead level or should it be slightly up or? If some one could post a pic. I look at it while i trim and even if i put max up trim on it the elvator is still not level with the tail. Should I adjust the position of the throw rod to a different hole or squeeze that loop? Also am I so retarted that i am trimming it wrong? If it is climbing I shoud be pushing the top button on the elevator trim right? that would make it nose down and level out , i think? I just need a pros opinion on this, to me it would seem that the elevator and tail should be level when the stick is at neutral and properly trimmed. The wing design is what gives it climb when you apply more throttle , is the way I understood it. Sorry for the novel of a post but i just wanna go fly this baby, wind is to high, I had it out earlier and the wind was beating it up i put it in a few trees , a small puddle and nearly on the roof of a church, so im gonna wait.............................................. ........ but while i do id like to get this bad boy all tightened up. thanks guys if fixed wing is the darkside. im here to stay
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
Old May 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,619 Posts
You can level off the elevator and it will be fine. You trim for airspeed. Sometimes when I want to fly slow I will trim in a degree or two of "up" elevator to maintain alt while going a bit slower.
I hope this helps and, welcome to the dark side!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old May 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
So if I'm looking at it from the side the elevator should be level then? The trim buttons won't level it out, should I squeeze the loop or adjust the throw rod to a different hole, I have only 2 flights under my belt.
Old May 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,619 Posts
I wouls squeeze the loop to bring it level and the make sure you have plenty of movement both up anf down.
Old May 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
So what I'm understanding is it should be level across the top of the elevator, if I were to lay a ruler across the top of the elevator it should be in line and level with the part of the tail the elevator connects to ?
Old May 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
I will post a pic and that nigh be easier, so you guys can tell me if I'm ok or not
Old May 05, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,619 Posts
Yes, straight across so you could lay a ruler across the Horizontal stabelizer and the elevator and it should be perfectly flat.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
ok thanks guys for all your help i think i got it goin now , need another flight or two and a squeeze or two on the loop and ill have it trimmed out nice, I flew two batteries today , good stuff, although early during the first one i lost controll of the throttle and i had only control of the rudder and elevator, so I looked closely at it, and the prop shaft looked all bent and at a funny angle, I continued to fly and no problems , same on my second battery, I think the throttle issue was due to me flying it past the batteries cut off, but when i came home i opened it up and saw the motor was glued in there at a funny angle, so i carefully cut around the mount and pulled it out and re-glued it in straight. Then i thought oh crap! was it supposed to be like that? i used a glue gun which may have been a bad idea because i melted some of the Styrofoam, what kind of glue should i use for something like that? and was that a good move to cut the motor mount out and re glue it in there straight?
Old May 06, 2012, 05:46 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Short answer: it was supposed to be like that. The thrust angles are designed to counteract the twisting torque of the motor and oftentimes to lessen how much the plane wants to climb.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8