SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:24 AM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,117 Posts
The Vapor is a blast! You can have a lot of fun with it in calm conditions in the cul de sac. Indoor is also a lot of fun. My Vapor has much more time on it than my Ember, even though I've had the Ember longer. The Ember is fun, but it flies pretty much like any other RC plane (like a small Slow Stick). The Vapor adds new dimensions of very slow, super stable, and high alpha flying. It will fly (and land with no power) hands-off. The Ember needs more space than the Vapor. (I've flown my Vapor in a hotel room.) the Champ needs more space than the Ember. All are a lot of fun, but each one is different.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:53 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
I started my first Champ flights yesterday morning, when the breeze was a steady 3 knots. It's a fine basic trainer with no bad habits. It flew right out of the box with no pre-flight tweaking necessary. The first flight showed me that it need some rudder and elevator trim, then all was happiness.

I flew it again this morning, and will fly it every morning, before the thermals start to build. Yes, the Champ does seem to like free lift!

My Champ came with the usual single cell charger that comes with the ParkZone Ultra Micros, but with one difference: It can be powered by a 6V DC wall wart with suitable plug and center pin + polarity. I found one in my collection and soldered on a connector abandoned from another project. It charges much faster with this than with four AA pen cells.

I suggest to Hobby Horizon that they equip all their future 1S airplanes with this charger, and maybe also include a 6V DC wall wart.

Jim R
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:59 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
These are the packs that power my little Champ.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...38&item_id=244
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:31 AM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
hi I have had my champ for a couple weeks now it is my first plane I and I got the hang of it within 30 minutes my dad tried it and got it stuck in the top of a tree but we got it down the next morning and it still flies great
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2008
132 Posts
Nice review! The opening text was pure poetry! Guys, I think maybe this Champ can gain some performance improvements (specially in fligt times) if using a GWS 5x3 prop. i think it uses the same propeller (130x70) as the Sukhoi 26m. My Suk flies waaaay better with the 5x3 and 5x43 props (not to mention they are smaller and less prone to prop strikes on landing, the only real setback on this beginner plane). itīs a shame I didnīt see this little fella around Brazil, since I have some four or five microbirds around! It would be a nice addition to the fleet!
brunobrazil is offline Find More Posts by brunobrazil
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpje2000 View Post
I just read the review as well as the comments on this forum. It looks like the Champ is quite a plane. I have a question for you. I am considering a new Park Flyer for flying in a cul de sac or small park. I was considering the following planes:

1) Ember
2) Vapor
3) Great Planes Fly Lite
4) Hobbico Flyzone Playmate Micro

Which would be a better plane for me. I have flying experience as well as the Spektrum DX 6i radio, 6110 receiver, micro servos, lipos, charger, and outrunner motors. The Champ is hard to beat for the price as I would only have to purchase additional batteries, and props. I can even use my DX 6i transmitter. Where is the best place to purchase the Champ. Thank you in advance.
My micro fleet consists of Embers, UM J-3 Cubs, UM P-51 Mustangs, FlyZone Playmates, Hobby Zone Champ. After many flights, my opinion for the progression though these planes would be as follows:

1.) Ember
2.) Champ
3.) Playmate
4.) UM J-3 Cub
5.) UM P-51 Mustang

The Ember (and I am partial to it) flys more like a micro plane will fly. The Champ, although notably faster, can be flown slowly, it's larger wing providing better slow flying characteristics. The Playmate can be deceptively fast, especially indoors. Definitely quicker than an Ember, more akin to the Champ. The UM J-3 Cub, although smaller, can outrun the Champ and is more agile. Easier to dork it in, less forgiving than the Champ, but capable of flying in windy conditions, as is the Champ. The UM P-51 definitely will push the limits of a typical Cul-de-sac area, IMHO. You want some space to fully appreciate it's agility and speed. From personal experience, the Ember, Champ, Playmate, and J-3 Cub are all "in-doorable". The Mustang is also, but I don't have the patoot's to try it!

I fly all but the Playmate on a Spektrum 6DXi. Great transmitter, very happy with it.

Best trainer for micro flyers, when you are looking at ultimately flying the above selection: EMBER!!!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 07, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:03 PM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
I jumped from Airhogs to Hobbico 3 channel trainer to simulator, to T-28.

The micros came after, but they would've been even more handy for training

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:04 PM
Sandy, Oregon
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Champ

Friends,

I have not tried the Champ because it is a RTF and is Mode 2 but I saw a close up and it shows Mode 2 or Mode 1 and I wondered if it can truly be a Mode 1 transmitter? My Parkzone Citabra (Not spelled correctly) also had a Mode 2/Mode1 switch but it didn't really change it to Mode 1.

If the transmitter can be changed to Mode 1 how do you change the springs so the elevator stick stays centered and motor stick can be left at any position?

I will be a very happy camper if I can buy the Champ and fly it on Mode 1.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Michael
PapaMichael6464 is offline Find More Posts by PapaMichael6464
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:55 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMichael6464 View Post
Friends,

I have not tried the Champ because it is a RTF and is Mode 2 but I saw a close up and it shows Mode 2 or Mode 1 and I wondered if it can truly be a Mode 1 transmitter? My Parkzone Citabra (Not spelled correctly) also had a Mode 2/Mode1 switch but it didn't really change it to Mode 1.

If the transmitter can be changed to Mode 1 how do you change the springs so the elevator stick stays centered and motor stick can be left at any position?

I will be a very happy camper if I can buy the Champ and fly it on Mode 1.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Michael
I have not taken my Champ's transmitter apart to see how the springs are installed. In some transmitters is not that difficult to do, on others it is short of being a nightmare.

I helped a friend do convert his Futaba transmitter from mode 2 to 1. The spring on the elevator had to be moved to what used to be the throttle stick under mode 2. Rather involved because of all the wiring in those areas.

You may have to do the same with the Champ's transmitter. I am sure Horizon's customer service could enlighten you on an easy way to swap the spring from one stick to the other one.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:19 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,440 Posts
You could just bind it to your Mode 1 DSM2 transmitter, couldn't you?
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:20 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I have not taken my Champ's transmitter apart to see how the springs are installed. In some transmitters is not that difficult to do, on others it is short of being a nightmare.

I helped a friend do convert his Futaba transmitter from mode 2 to 1. The spring on the elevator had to be moved to what used to be the throttle stick under mode 2. Rather involved because of all the wiring in those areas.

You may have to do the same with the Champ's transmitter. I am sure Horizon's customer service could enlighten you on an easy way to swap the spring from one stick to the other one.
Unfortunately it's a bit more involved than larger transmitters, but not impossible if you have a soldering iron. As well as flicking the mode switch you need to swap the two joystick modules around, they are sealed so it's not possible to change the springs. It's a single sided PCB so not too difficult to unsolder if you have a solder sucker (note the button is part of the joystick module - see attached pics). I swapped mine from mode 1 to mode 2 with no problems.

Jono
jono80 is offline Find More Posts by jono80
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:49 PM
Sandy, Oregon
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Mode 1 from Mode 2

Frends,

Thank you for the information. It's great and is really helpful.

Can I bind the Champ to my DX-7? I didn't know that was possible. Other than my DX-7 model memory filling up fast there is no reason not to bind the champ if it's possible.

I do have a solder sucker and have quite a bit of time desoldering and soldering. If I can bind the Champ to the DX-7 I may try changing the transmitter to Mode 1 just to free up some Model Memory.

I copied the photographs so I can print them out for a guide.

Thanks again..

Michael
PapaMichael6464 is offline Find More Posts by PapaMichael6464
Old Jul 09, 2010, 12:09 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Frends,

Can I bind the Champ to my DX-7? I didn't know that was possible. Other than my DX-7 model memory filling up fast there is no reason not to bind the champ if it's possible.
Easily. I fly my Champ with my DX7 so I can chase small thermals and generally fly way up and out with it.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:56 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Frends,

I do have a solder sucker and have quite a bit of time desoldering and soldering. If I can bind the Champ to the DX-7 I may try changing the transmitter to Mode 1 just to free up some Model Memory.

I copied the photographs so I can print them out for a guide.

Thanks again..

Michael
Yes Michael, it can be bound to any DSM2 tranny. DX6i, DX7, 11X so on and so forth, which is definitely easier than having to swap stick modules and get a soldering iron into such cramped quarters as jono80 stated above. Just looking at his pixs of the two modules scares the living daylights out of me.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:11 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,440 Posts
Remember that the Champ RTF package is aimed at beginner pilots, so they include the RTF DSM2 transmitter. They aren't going to offer a BNF version of the Champ. Just consider this a BNF Champ with a free transmitter. After all, it is the same price as the Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub BNF (that doesn't come with a transmitter). And from everything I hear, the Champ is the better plane.

Keep those Champs flying, guys! And let's see some pictures.

Andy
(who will probably be binding his Champ to his DX7 eventually)
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member