HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:28 AM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,120 Posts
ci phon,

I've not seen or flown one of the Mustangs, but I have a Citabria, an Ember, and a Champ. The Champ is a little faster than the Ember. I've flown the Ember and the Citabria in a gym with no problem. I could probably fly the Champ in the gym too, but it would require being pretty busy on the controls, and I would expect an occasional midair with a wall too. In my opinion, it is an outdoor plane, but not one that requires a lot of space. It is quite maneuverable and responsive, so you can avoid obstacles. Open spaces are better, of course. Once it is trimmed, no control inputs are required until you want to change its flight direction or altitude. In calm conditions, you can close the throttle and lay the transmitter down, and the Champ will glide in for a landing. It is probably more stable and easier to fly than the Ember. Of course, you won't be getting aileron experience, but what you will get are hours of some very relaxing and enjoyable flying. Get one. You won't regret it.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:09 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
If I try to spin it to the right though, it spins quite nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz53 View Post
Just a simple fix, pick up the foam insert and turn it 180 so when you pick up the box the TX is on the bottom, that way it will not fall onto the plane.
Now that right there is two cases of "well, why didn't I think of that?!?!"

Really though, for some strange reason, I always spin to the left with all my planes. I'm not sure I know how to spin to the right. I'll have to think about that one.

And turning the foam insert around...ya know, that's just plain smart thinking. I'll have to try that.

And to try to answer ci_phon's question, I can't compare to the Mustang since I've never flown it, but my video should give you a decent idea about the speed and maneuverability of the Champ.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the review. I appreciate all the comments. It's really fun to write up an article on a plane that is so much fun to fly.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:09 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci_phon View Post
Does anyone happen to have a rough idea as to how this might compare the the PZ Ultra Micro P-51D Mustang? (as far as top speeds, agility, forgiveness...how much of a football field the Champ can eat up both in length and in width... )

I bought a Mustang a short while back as a means of upgrading from an Ember 2 to flying with 4-channels & ailerons. I wanted something close to the same size as the Ember 2 to retain some of that familiar size comfort feeling. I don't know when this aircraft was released, and I don't remember hearing about this 2 months or so ago when I bought the Mustang...but I'm thinking that I wish I had!!!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Mustang...but it was a tad fast for me at first, and still to this day I find it to be a bit of a handful at times and not always as completely as enjoyable as I'd prefer. Sometimes I "don't" want to be all hyper and excited or having to always stay on the sticks. The Champ seems like it would have made a much better plane for me, and maybe still would make a better plane for me, at least until I gain a more comfortable handle on flying with ailerons...when "I" have become the primary deciding factor in when it generally gets to be exciting...or relaxing.

Anywho, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this please. I'm sure that the Mustang has a higher top speed and is more agile, due to the difference in plane types (high wing, low wing), and I'm sure the Champ is more forgiving than the Mustang is when (still) learning to fly with ailerons. But I am still curious to get a more detailed idea of how they differ from one another in those aspects.

*if it helps, I compare the speed of my planes in a simple way...how long it takes to fly 300ft/the length of a football field, at full throttle, level flight, and in no winds. I use a football field as a reference because I usually fly in one when going out to fly my smaller aircraft when the winds are likely to pick up soon, if that makes any sense.

Thanks in advance! And I wish everyone the best of winds and good times!
The champ is much more docile then a mustang. Mustang need more speed to stay in the air and will respond quickly to controls. The champ can slow down to a crawl. Cut throttle and take your hands off the controls and it will glide in for a perfect landing. Don't try that with your mustang.
A great frontyard flyer or small area flyer. I'd say it is the easiest plane I have ever flown, looks great, well contructed. I have nothing negative to say about it at all. Everyone should have one.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:55 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Grrrr, I put an order in for one of these earlier this week to the LHS, and this review isn't making the wait any easier...

I like my mustang and sukhoi, but my front yard is just big enough to hold them.Things start to get crowded pretty quick, so the champ seems like a better way to relax for a pack (or five) on a calm summer night.

I also have friends that are getting into RC, and this seems like a great way to introduce them. After setting them up for a flight, just letting them borrow the whole box seems like a nice contained way to practice on their own time

That said, I'm hoping the next ultra micro from HZ is a nice step between the champ and the mustang. Perhaps go back to the cessna body style, but go full house.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:00 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,762 Posts
Great review and media!

I love mine for a quick trip to a near by school or flying at work in the morning in the parking lot. It can handle wind but flying it when it is calm is pure joy and makes the day even at work.

Highly recommend.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:42 PM
Crash McNooblet
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2009
47 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.

Going from an Ember 2 to the Mustang was a bit of a sudden JOLT, but at the time it felt like the right 'next step'. Wishing there had been a '4-channel' plane of similar size, but much more agreeable than the Mustang would have been nice to have.

Granted, the Champ is only 3-channel, but I think there is potential for some slight modding, given the very few control/mechanical differences I can see between the Champ and the Mustang/Sukhoi. (different bricks, servo and other hardware, ailerons are pre-cut on the Mustang/Sukhoi).

Regardless, I see myself buying a Champ soon and flying it just the way it was intended!!! ...my Ember is ragged and could use to be semi-retired!

Thanks again all for the replies,
And thank you Andy for the great review!

-Scott
ci_phon is offline Find More Posts by ci_phon
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:11 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I am not a total beginner, and I have been flying the p-51. The Champ is very tame and forgiving out of the box, but has more than enough power, so after you get comfortable, move the pushrods closer to the fuse. I set mine to the 3rd one out from the fuse. It transforms into a wild stunt plane of sorts. It will even roll (a little sloppy, but impressive) with rudder and elevator cranked. Tail spins will be easy too. (Only try this at very high altitude.) And yes, once you get good with this plane, the p-51 will be a nice transition. (but I definitely do not recommend the RTF TX that comes in the box. Even though PZ sells it with the P-51, The sticks are too short. Either extend the sticks about 1/2"-3/4" with some dowel stock or better yet, get a DX5e or better Tx. for the P-51) You will need the longer sticks for finer thumb (or finger) resolution. If you plan on advncing on to the sukhoi, most of you will need the Dx6i or better TX since dual rates and expo can be adjusted to suit your preferences individually on each control surface.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Last edited by restlessswind; Jul 04, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:23 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Excellent Review. I loved reading about the full scale champ as well as the model! The pics and video were super
nice job,
HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:25 PM
banjo2
Rio Oso, CA
Joined Jan 2009
21 Posts
Great Review

Excellent review. Just ordered mine....... Thanks
banjo2 is offline Find More Posts by banjo2
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:58 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Thanks...

Thanks for such a nice review.

Your first encounter with the Champ mirrors mine almost to a "T". The only difference between you experience and mine is that mine happened one afternnon in late November 1956, and that I had been offered a ride in a family friend's Champ as a birthday present; I had turned 12 just a few days earlier. Reading your opening remarks brought back very fond memories of an era long gone by, when life was easy and much simpler. BTW, our small hometown (pop. 15,000 give or take a few at the time) had a modest municipal airport, it was referred to by everyone as "The Aerodrome". There were 17 planes hangared there.

I purchased my HobbyZone Champ the day I first saw it at one LHS four weeks ago. Flying it is pure unadulterated fun. Then there is how affordable having so much fun with the H/Z Champ is.

EDIT: FWIW, I have flown mine in as much as a 5 MPH breeze, and although it is not designed for such conditions, it flew extremely well.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Last edited by qban_flyer; Jul 05, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:48 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,103 Posts
Nice review and video. Thanks for sharing the full size champ story and pics.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:10 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Super review Grose! I saw them flying the Cub at Hodges this weekend and decided I had to get me one. Bill said the Champ flies better and like mentioned here is cheaper too. Y'all shoulda been here this weekend. You missed out!

Only thing that could have made this review better would be some of that Grose boys background banter on the video And maybe some pork skins.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:09 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Super review Grose! I saw them flying the Cub at Hodges this weekend and decided I had to get me one. Bill said the Champ flies better and like mentioned here is cheaper too. Y'all shoulda been here this weekend. You missed out!

Only thing that could have made this review better would be some of that Grose boys background banter on the video And maybe some pork skins.
Bildo,

He told me to be quiet.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:46 PM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Champ

Fantastic flying plane. I flew mine in 12 mph winds. I flew it with a gum type video camera that weighed more than the plane. It flys great in the gym. It will fly almost as slow as you want it to. It is a Champ, the plane I learned to fly on. Slow and fun. I have flown all of the Parkzone planes and I think this one out flys them all. That is for slow flying in the gym and flying outside, even in some wind. Sure the P 51 will fly circles around it, but that is okay, it is an Aeronica Champ. Buy one. thanks....Joe In Texas
jed1d is offline Find More Posts by jed1d
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:58 AM
Joined May 2007
46 Posts
Champ

I just read the review as well as the comments on this forum. It looks like the Champ is quite a plane. I have a question for you. I am considering a new Park Flyer for flying in a cul de sac or small park. I was considering the following planes:

1) Ember
2) Vapor
3) Great Planes Fly Lite
4) Hobbico Flyzone Playmate Micro

Which would be a better plane for me. I have flying experience as well as the Spektrum DX 6i radio, 6110 receiver, micro servos, lipos, charger, and outrunner motors. The Champ is hard to beat for the price as I would only have to purchase additional batteries, and props. I can even use my DX 6i transmitter. Where is the best place to purchase the Champ. Thank you in advance.
drpje2000 is offline Find More Posts by drpje2000