Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:44 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
LOL that is awesome!
looks like a sparrow pestering a hawk... LOL!
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:52 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,116 Posts
Drew,

Good camera work! Have you been taking lessons from Napo?

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
The Champ RTF is not available as a BNF. The good thing is that the Champ RTF is $10 cheaper than the BNF versions of the Ultra-Micro planes. Think of it as a free transmitter!

Hope that helps...

Andy
My parts arrived today ( $76 inc/shipping and battery). I was able to put it all together using gorilla glue only. The instructions wereexcellent. I was a little confused on the push rods part . But after reading it several times it made sense. The plane flies very well , so I must have done things right!
fhussain44 is offline Find More Posts by fhussain44
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
Good deal. If saving $10 or $15 is worth your time to build the Champ, then I guess you came out all right.
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Good deal. If saving $10 or $15 is worth your time to build the Champ, then I guess you came out all right.
Or buy the rtf champ and sell the transmiter for 15-20.00 dollars. People are always looking for these radios and they usually sell quickly.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
Or buy the rtf champ and sell the transmiter for 15-20.00 dollars. People are always looking for these radios and they usually sell quickly.
really? As a newbie I thought extra transmitters were worthless since people lose planes only?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:06 PM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhussain44 View Post
really? As a newbie I thought extra transmitters were worthless since people lose planes only?
Not since Bind-N-Fly came out. DSM2 is usable in quite a few birds already and you can throw the right RX in an ARF or PnP.

But really, $20 shipped is about the max they are worth.
Nunja Business is offline Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
I slightly bent the propeller shaft from some straight dives into pavement. Any tips to straighten it? It still seems to fly ok, so should I just leave it?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:51 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Mostly happy; slightly bummed...

Been away from RC about a decade. After reading the HZ Champ reviews and posts, decided that's the plane to return with. (Man, there's some truly cool stuff out there now!). Plane arrived yesterday and this AM was perfect beginning-again WX. Spent the first pac on taxi tests and a few quick lift off/chop power deals all with the TX on low rates. OK time to try a flight but first, what does high rate look like? Switched to high rate and cycled the elevator only to have it immediately "stick" in full up position with a continuous high pitched whine sound. Well, better to discover this on the ground I guess. She'd have looped herself to death!

Brought her home and opened the fuse up for a look see. By manually twirling the potentiometer to center it, then hooking the battery up and cycling the stick, it would work fine until it neared full aft (up elevator) where it suddenly would be sucked that last fraction full aft and would stick there buzzing.

So, called HZ and they're sending out a new board, no questions asked but it won't leave 'till Monday. I messed around in there with some silicone lube and a zillion cycles of the stick hoping for a possible mechanical issue that would resolve itself with "breaking in" time. The current situation is this; the elevator servo works 100% of the time on low rates and is better now then it was on high but still glitches occasionally (sticks full up). Rudder is fine on either rate.

So, here are some questions:

1) Anyone else had this problem? Didn't read mention of it in this thread.
2) When the new board arrives, everything I'll have to replace is stuck down with a soft rubbery glue that I'm not familiar with. Anybody know what it is?

Meanwhile, I'm going to head out again to a tall grass field behind the house with low rates engaged and fingers crossed. Wish me luck!
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
Mostly happy; slightly bummed...

So, here are some questions:

1) Anyone else had this problem? Didn't read mention of it in this thread.
2) When the new board arrives, everything I'll have to replace is stuck down with a soft rubbery glue that I'm not familiar with. Anybody know what it is?

Meanwhile, I'm going to head out again to a tall grass field behind the house with low rates engaged and fingers crossed. Wish me luck!
Servos stuck at full travel is becoming more common that stripped servos used to be.

The Factory glue is silicone caulk. Low Melt hot glue works much better. Just keep the glue strings out of the gears.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:46 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Hey guys! im a newbie and im planning to get the champ! does anyone knows wich one is faster (The champ or the UM j3 cub)? all i know is that the champ can fly way slower
THANKS
Alex (:
alexbazzi is offline Find More Posts by alexbazzi
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbazzi View Post
Hey guys! im a newbie and im planning to get the champ! does anyone knows wich one is faster (The champ or the UM j3 cub)? all i know is that the champ can fly way slower
THANKS
Alex (:
The cub can fly faster in level flight, but it has a smaller motor/prop, so the champ climbs faster. If you buy a Cub, the must do mod is switching to a Mustang motor/Gearbox/prop and which point it will be faster, AND climb faster than a champ.

The Champ already has the larger 8.4mm motor, so it doesn't need a new gearbox or prop to switch to Mustang power. It's heavier than the cub, so even with the Mustang motor in both, Cub will still climb faster.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
264 Posts
In the review you mentioned that the nose drops in a turn, well, the full size one behaves the same way, so no big deal like you said. I appreciate you review, it is very good, and now with a set of floats available, I gotta get my own.
Was in Soldatna Alaska, and at the airport I found a couple of these old planes with those great big bush tires on em, and a set of floats next to them in the hanger. there were also a lot of Piper super cubs, stinson voyagers, plus cessna 180's and 185's. Half the taildraggers in America are in Alaska. I used to fly most of those in my younger days so it was nostalgia city for this guy.
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:24 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
If you build it yourself, you don't have to peel off the crappy wing stickers and its much easier to sand and paint the the parts separately if you want to paint it some other color than 2 tone orange.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:21 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
So things went better today (except for the one tree landing...mid-day flight was too windy for low rates to handle. Got it down with a long snow rake handle ) Ran several pacs through it in my favorite mode: low and slow and I gotta say this little cutie really is a charmer. I'll admit to being more into scale flight than tearing up the sky doing things that are full scale impossible and the sight of this thing floating by at eye level all bright yellow and orange is a real hoot, especially at dusk when the red RX LED lights up the cowel interior!

One other minor glitch cropped up on my first flight this AM which I'll mention for the other newbies...about 5 minutes in, I suddenly had no control input. She wasn't too far away and was pretty low so I chopped the throttle and found her in the neighbor's back yard. This was a known fresh battery and I was bummed to find no throttle or control response. Then I noticed the RX LED was blinking so I tried several times to re-bind the radio to no avail. Sat down to read the trouble shooting section of the instructions (wondering if this was a further failure of the board reported in my previous post) but found a section that said to try the binding process several feet away from the plane (earlier attempts were with plane in one hand and TX in the other). This worked and she flew fine there after.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT