HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
Discussion
A all terrain plane

okay i don't know who has done this but this is a way to take off in grass to thick for wheels. sorry about quality
Super Cub floats on grass (0 min 46 sec)
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Floats work best on wet grass, snow and on ice on a lake or pond. On fresh snow, floats are really neat. The plane just scoots across the snow, no worry about having to break free of the water. On ice they work well also. Of course they were designed for water, yet many people fly right after a good rain on wet grass and with some Rain-X on the bottom of the floats helps a lot. I use Rain-X on all my floats and on the bottom of my Seawind.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 31, 2010, 08:06 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
867 Posts
yea wet grass is fun. There's a pond being filled up walking distance from me and its perfect for floats i'm biting at the bit can't wait to fly off it.
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old May 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Its harder to take off on the water so if your plane's got power for water takeoff then chance are it wont have any problem with grass takeoff.

But I think the best all terrain plane is the one with enough power to hand launch. So my Corsair is a perfect all terrain plane that I can and always do handlaunch and can land pretty much anywhere with the protective skids under the gull wing. Never tried a water landing.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:29 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
I was unaware that we made planes to drive on the ground...
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
I was unaware that we made planes to drive on the ground...
Planes have been doing it for years. If you go to the local airport, chances are you will see some. We call it "taxi" as in "I'm going to taxi to the end of the runway".
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm