HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
Brazil,IN
Joined May 2010
135 Posts
Discussion
How do you tell if you should use a Lipo battery that has been in a crash???

Hey guy's I have a question regarding a Lipo 4s battery that was in a crash today I am a newbie to EDF's and it went pretty well until the end of the flight!,
was a little too windy and it went into a flat spin and was unrecoverable, hit nose first 70mm F-16 and the battery is basically right in the nose, Well the battery looks smushed up on one end the end without the wiring, how can I tell if it's safe to re-use? If there is no way I will just throw it away. Thanks for all the great info guy's (and I have another fuse coming so I can fly it again!!)
greenmonsta79 is offline Find More Posts by greenmonsta79
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Without some very good photos showing the damage no one should even offer an opinion other than a damaged LiPoly should be discharged to below 3.0 vilts per cell and disposed of.

If it is deformed then it will go down hill quickly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1

Snip:
Quote:
The other accelerator is the presence of "hangar rash" on the cells due to continuous handling and ding marks that cause salt crystals to start forming at pressure points. This is the primary reason for using IMPAD around packs to protect against impact. In other words, avoid the temptation to scrape a thumbnail over that envelope to see if it springs back!
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 30, 2010, 09:22 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
My personal guidelines say that if I have to ask myself that question, the pack gets disposed of. Many get away with reusing such a pack. I don't care for the odds and the fallout should I guess wrong.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 30, 2010, 09:52 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
As long as it doesn't puff up it should be fine. I currently have a Hyperion 3s pack that was smashed in a crash and is still perfectly fine over 30 cycles later. I would watch it closely and as soon as it starts to show any problem I would dispose of it.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old May 31, 2010, 07:56 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,361 Posts
Do a cycle on a charger and monitor balance. This can indicate if one or more cells has lost capacity.

Second thoughts, I agree with EF, if you got to ask better not mess with it.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger